Magnetic conductive material but thermally non conductive

The lifting duty cycle is once per minute. In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a material that can act as an insulator between a magnet and a metal plate while maintaining the magnetic effect. The metal plate is 3mm thick x 15mm wide x 200mm long and made of mild steel. It will be heated to 250 degrees Celsius and the lifting process must be completed within one minute without the temperature dropping below 200 degrees Celsius. Suggestions include using a ceramic tile or non-magnetic tube with coolant for cooling, or using a vacuum or mechanical gripper instead of a magnet. The lifting duty cycle is
rajaryan
HI,

I have application where i need to lift metal plate, 3kg weight, ( 3mmX 15mm), 250degree.C hot, for the period of 1min and put it back. For lifting purpose i am using actuators. As i have no opportunity to make hole in plate i have to use magnet for lifting purpose. I got Electromagnet with capacity 10 times of requirment. But it can not withstand temperature above 80degree.C.

Now my question: i am looking for the material that can act as insulator between magnet and metal plate at the same time it don't reduce magnetic effect less than half of its capacity.

Any suggestions?

Regards,
RajAryan

Engineering news on Phys.org
Calculate the heat transfer during the lifting action and the resultant temperature rise of the workpiece durign the cycle time.
Any thing that is heated up by a manufacturing process can also be cooled down by various means: dunking in cooling bath or blowing with cooled air.
Alternatives: mechanical gripper or a vacuum lifting system with high-temperature suction cups.

Welcome to PF.

You could make pole extensions for the magnet out of thick-wall iron tube. You could push cool air down the the pole extensions to cool them, block the tube ends and put vent holes near the hot end that direct air away from the sample.

To cool with circulated water, (or air), put a bridge of non-magnetic tube across the gap between the pole extensions at the hot end. Push coolant down one pole extension and recover the hot fluid from the other.

Austenitic stainless steel tends to be non-magnetic and poorer thermal conductors. Martensitic stainless steel is magnetic. See if you can find a martensitic stainless steel with a lower thermal conductivity than iron.

Or just put a sheet of asbestos or fiber glass on the magnet poles. This however assumes that the duty cycle is rather low so there is an enough cooling time between lifts.

There are probably some people on this site that can give an idea of the maximum distance betwee the plate and the magnet. With the magnet being 10 times stronger than needed I expect it can be done.

I have heard of electromagnets that have coolant (a mix of water and antifreeze) running thru plumbing in the core. Doing the machining could be somewhat difficult.

Do Google search for Switchable Magnetic

Here is one example: http://www.engineersupply.com/Seco-5114-052-Switchable-Kelly-Magnet-Mount.aspx

Last edited:
rajaryan said:
250degree.C hot,
Will the metal plate be magnetic at a temperature of 523K?
What is the metal? What is the curie temperature of the metal?

rajaryan said:
metal plate, 3kg weight, ( 3mmX 15mm)
The dimensions are quite confusing. 3mm is probably the thickness, but what are the surface dimensions?
There is insufficient information to work out the area and if a vacuum might hold the plate.

HI,

Thank you for your inputs,

The plate is 3mm thick x 15mm width x 200mm long,

The plate is made of Mild steel will heated in oven at 250 degree C. After it get hot the process takes place and that has to be done within minute and put back to the oven. Challenge is the temperature should not be reduced below 200 degreeC. Using hand gloves it is difficult to handle, Clip type mechanism takes time to make it attached with. So Magnet is easiest solution. Rare Earth type magnet or strong magnet has problem of detaching from magnet ( need to apply lot of force, hot material ) so electromagnet is used. It has only issue that it can not withstand high temperature so i required such a material that are friendly with magnet and insulating type material.

Regards,
Rajaryan

rajaryan said:
It has only issue that it can not withstand high temperature so i required such a material that are friendly with magnet and insulating type material.

@Tom.G gave a couple of suggestions

The obvious other choice would be a ceramic tile attached to the surface of the electro-magnet

you didn't answer his Q about the lifting duty cycle ... that is how often per unit time the lifting will be done ?
once a minute, once an hour or ... ??Dave

1. What is a magnetic conductive material but thermally non conductive?

A magnetic conductive material but thermally non conductive is a material that can conduct electricity and magnetic fields, but does not allow heat to pass through it. This type of material is often used in electronic devices to prevent the transfer of heat between components.

2. How does a magnetic conductive material but thermally non conductive work?

This type of material works by having a high electrical conductivity, which allows it to conduct electricity and magnetic fields. However, it also has a low thermal conductivity, meaning it does not allow heat to pass through it easily. This is achieved by having a specific microstructure or by using specific materials in the manufacturing process.

3. What are some examples of magnetic conductive materials but thermally non conductive?

Some common examples of magnetic conductive materials but thermally non conductive include ferrite, iron-nickel alloy, and certain types of ceramics. These materials are often used in electronic devices, such as transformers, inductors, and motors.

4. What are the benefits of using a magnetic conductive material but thermally non conductive?

The main benefit of using this type of material is that it allows for efficient transfer of electricity and magnetic fields, while also keeping components cool. This can help improve the performance and lifespan of electronic devices. Additionally, using a material that is thermally non conductive can help prevent the risk of overheating and potential damage to the device.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using a magnetic conductive material but thermally non conductive?

One potential disadvantage of using this type of material is that it may be more expensive compared to other materials that have both high electrical and thermal conductivity. Additionally, the specific microstructure or materials used to achieve this property may also make the material more brittle and prone to cracking or breaking under stress. However, with proper design and manufacturing techniques, these disadvantages can be minimized.