Magnet Inside a Shell containing Ferromagnetic Metal

In summary, the team is struggling to find a material that will hold the magnet in place and they need help from the community. They are also wondering if the design will work and if the shell will hold together.
alukhm
TL;DR Summary
We are designing magnetic earrings with interchangable magnets inside a metal shell. Need advice. Thank you!
Hello all!
I have a earring project with magnets involved but no magnet expert involved :( Here are a few stupid questions I hope someone can help us with!
BACKGROUND:
We are designing magnetic earrings. The earrings are meant to clamp the ear with 3 different levels of pressure. The magnetic discs are interchangable. So far we have the aesthetics of the product figured out only...
j42w29gyt22a1.jpg

This is 1 set of magnetic earring for 1 ear. It's 10mm in diameter. The 2 pieces will clamp the ear, 1 at the front and 1 at the back. Each piece contains 1 magnet inside. Black disc inside = circular magnet. Gold shell outside = jewelry material

Each set of earrings will be paired with 4 magnetic discs. 2 weaker discs + 2 stronger discs. The 3 magnetic levels will be achieved by having the below 3 combinations of discs:
- level 1: 1 weaker disc + 1 weaker disc
- level 2: 1 weaker disc + 1 stronger disc
- level 3: 1 stronger disc + 1 stronger disc

Mechanism of changing the magnet discs:
x2h3x5rib32a1.jpg

1. Insert disc into big opening.
  2. Disc hold in place because the gold shell is magnetically attracted to it
  3. Remove magnet disc by inserting a stick to small opening to push it outOUR STRUGGLE
    1. As far as internet says, ferromagnetic metals attract magnet. I need ferromagnetic metal in the gold shell (probably cobalt/nickel+gold/silver alloy), so the magnet will stay in place inside the shell instead of falling out. Am I correct?
    2. Will this design (shell containing ferromagnetic metal enclosing a magnet) work for the mechanism we need? I have no experience with magnet inside a shell. Will there be strange forces and we cannot slide the magnet in and out? Will the shell ...break?

Thank you for all your time! Looking forward to feedbacks :)

Likes osilmag and ValenceElectron
Physics news on Phys.org
The ferromagnetic material inside the shell needed to keep the magnet in place might weaken the attraction between the two clamp earrings. I would suggest have the ferromagnet on only one side of the shells to allow the magnetic field between the two actual magnets to clamp the earrings. Now where is my compensation for my advice? :wink:

alukhm said:
Will this design (shell containing ferromagnetic metal enclosing a magnet) work for the mechanism we need? I have no experience with magnet inside a shell. Will there be strange forces and we cannot slide the magnet in and out? Will the shell ...break?
A sleeve shell or enclosure should be low mass, so plastic or aluminium is a possibility. Aluminium can be coloured easily by anodising, and a dye. It should not require a ferromagnetic metal enclosure sleeve, the magnet could be held in place by a close fit with some flex, and friction. Once attached, it will be held together by the magnetic attraction that holds the magnetic ear-sandwich together.

If the enclosure was a shallow cup that held the magnet, the cup could be pressed from thin magnetic sheet metal, placed onto one face of the magnet. The lip of the cup would wrap around the edge of the magnet, where the strongest attraction occurs between the two opposite faces.

The polarity of the magnets will be important. The back clamp or magnet may need to be turned over to get attraction and not repulsion from the front clamp.

1. How does a magnet inside a shell containing ferromagnetic metal work?

When a magnet is placed inside a shell containing ferromagnetic metal, the magnetic field of the magnet causes the atoms in the ferromagnetic metal to align in the same direction. This creates a stronger magnetic field, making the shell behave like a magnet itself.

2. What is the purpose of a magnet inside a shell containing ferromagnetic metal?

The purpose of a magnet inside a shell containing ferromagnetic metal is to create a stronger and more focused magnetic field. This can be useful in applications such as magnetic shielding, where the shell can protect sensitive equipment from outside magnetic fields.

3. Can a magnet inside a shell containing ferromagnetic metal be demagnetized?

Yes, a magnet inside a shell containing ferromagnetic metal can be demagnetized. This can happen if the magnet is exposed to high temperatures or strong external magnetic fields that disrupt the alignment of the atoms in the ferromagnetic metal.

4. What are some common uses for magnets inside a shell containing ferromagnetic metal?

Magnets inside a shell containing ferromagnetic metal are commonly used in magnetic shielding, magnetic levitation, and magnetic storage devices. They can also be used in industrial applications such as separating ferromagnetic materials from non-magnetic materials.

5. Are there any safety concerns with using a magnet inside a shell containing ferromagnetic metal?

Yes, there are some safety concerns with using a magnet inside a shell containing ferromagnetic metal. The strong magnetic field can interfere with electronic devices and can also be hazardous for individuals with pacemakers or other medical devices. It is important to handle these magnets with caution and keep them away from sensitive equipment and individuals with medical devices.