How Is Current Calculated in a Mass Spectrometer?

In summary, a commercial mass spectrometer is used to separate uranium ions of mass 3.92x10-25 kg and charge 3.20x10-19 C. The ions are accelerated through a potential difference of 100 kV and then pass through a uniform magnetic field, where they are bent in a path of radius 1 m. After traveling through 180° and passing through a slit, they are collected in a cup. To find the magnitude of the magnetic field, the equation I=nqvA is used. The current, I, can be calculated by finding the drift velocity, v, using the energy equation v=(2Vq/m)^0.5. To solve for the thermal energy produced in the
SHOORY
Member warned that an effort must be shown

Homework Statement

A certain commercial mass spectrometer is used to separate uranium ions of mass 3.92 multiplied by 10-25 kg and charge 3.20 multiplied by 10-19 C from related species. The ions are accelerated through a potential difference of 100 kV and then pass into a uniform magnetic field, where they are bent in a path of radius 1 m. After traveling through 180° and passing through a slit of width 1.00 mm and height 1.00 cm, they are collected in a cup.

(a) What is the magnitude of the (perpendicular) magnetic field in the separator?

(b) If the machine is used to separate out 100 mg of material per hour, calculate the current of the desired ions in the machine.(c) In that case, calculate the thermal energy produced in the cup in 1.00 h.

Homework Equations

I=nqvA
Where I is the current
q is charge
v is the drift velocity
A is the cross-sectional area
and using energy equation we get that
v=(2Vq/m)^0.5
v is velocity
V is the potential difference

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved a and c but I couldn't solve b

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you solve c without b?
Please show your solution for (c), from there it should be easy to find the answer to (b).

mfb said:
How did you solve c without b?
Please show your solution for (c), from there it should be easy to find the answer to (b).
thermal energy is equal to kinetic energy is equal to electric energy is equal to
potential difference * charge * number of charges
number of charges= whole mass in the cup after hour/ the mass of one particle

You have the number of charges and you have the time corresponding to it. Calculating the current should be straightforward.

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be detected. It is created by moving electric charges and can be visualized as lines of force that extend from one pole of a magnet to another.

2. How is a magnetic field created?

A magnetic field is created by moving electric charges, such as electrons or protons. In most cases, this movement occurs within the atoms and molecules of magnetic materials, such as iron or nickel. These materials have aligned atoms with unpaired electrons, causing a net magnetic field.

3. What is the relationship between magnetic field and current?

Magnetic fields and electric currents are closely related. When an electric current flows through a conductor, it creates a magnetic field around the conductor. Similarly, when a magnetic field changes, it can induce an electric current in a nearby conductor. This relationship is known as electromagnetic induction and is the basis of many technological applications, such as generators and transformers.

4. How is the strength of a magnetic field measured?

The strength of a magnetic field is measured in units of Tesla (T) or Gauss (G). One Tesla is equal to 10,000 Gauss. The strength of a magnetic field can be measured using a device called a magnetometer, which detects the force exerted by a magnetic field on a test object. The strength of a magnetic field can also be calculated using the equation B = μ0I/2πr, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, and r is the distance from the source.

5. What are the effects of a magnetic field on objects?

The effects of a magnetic field on objects depend on the strength and direction of the field. In most cases, a magnetic field will exert a force on a magnet or other magnetic material, causing it to move or rotate. Magnetic fields can also affect the motion of charged particles, such as electrons, causing them to move in curved paths. Additionally, strong magnetic fields can have an impact on electronic devices, causing interference or damage.