Magnetic field and Poynting Flux in an Inductor

In summary: I can't thank you enough for your help.In summary, the Poynting flux can be used to describe the power dissipation and energy flow in various electronic components, including resistors, capacitors, and inductors. While the classic examples for resistors and capacitors are well-known, the use of Poynting flux in inductors is not as widely discussed. However, for an inductor, the electric and magnetic fields are switched, and the Poynting vector still points towards the axis of the solenoid. When considering an infinitely long solenoid with time-varying current, there may be a paradox regarding the Poynting vector, but this can be resolved by properly applying Far
Rafimah
Hi everyone,

Lately I have been studying the Poynting Flux and I am familiar with the classic examples of how it can be used to describe the power being dissipated by a resistor and the energy flowing into a capacitor, but I have never come across a similar analog for how the Poynting flux applies to an inductor. Is there some comparable use for it in this scenario?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Its sort of the same as with the case of a capacitor, but with the roles of Electric and Magnetic Field switched over:
Inside a (solenoidal) inductor the magnetic field lines are straight lines parallel to the axis of the solenoid, while electric field lines form closed loops around the magnetic field lines.

if you wondering what's happening in the poynting vector outside the solenoid, it still points towards the axis of the solenoid, the electric and magnetic field are not zero outside the solenoid (as long as the solenoid is not infinite) (the magnetic field outside a solenoid inductor resembles that of a bar magnet
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:VFPt_Solenoid_correct.svg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Magnet0873.png).

However if we consider an infinitely long solenoid with time varying current , it seems we might have a mini paradox regarding the poynting vector.

Last edited:
Thats interesting, so to go about solving for the energy stored in the magnetic field, here is what I was thinking:

B = mu*n*I
E = ?

S = E cross B /mu

Integrate S over the surface area of the cylindrical space inside the solenoid (?)

So the two issues I am having are that I am not sure what the appropriate formula for electric field should be, and I am not totally sure what surface the integral should be over.

Try ##E=-\frac{1}{2\pi r}A\frac{dB}{dt}## (this comes from properly applying Faraday's law of induction) where A the cross section area of solenoid and r its radius.

The surface of the (spatial) integration will be the solenoid view as a cylinder with radius r and cross section area A and length l. And don't forget to integrate over time as well at the end (poynting vector is energy per unit area per unit time).

The integral over time would be something like ##\int_0^{t_0}{cI\frac{dI}{dt}dt}## where c a constant that depends on A,r and length l and I(t) is the current.

Ok sorry if I edited the post too many times while maybe you reading it. I hope it is clear now.

Last edited:
So based on this, I get the following result after integrating over surface area and time:

U = -Lr ∫I*dI/dt*dt

I believe the energy stored in an inductor is given by the following formula.

U = (B^2*l*A)/(2*mu)

Are these equivalent? Should they be equivalent, as the integral of the Poynting flux over area and time in a capacitor is equal to the energy stored in the capacitor?

They should be equal. The second formula is correct.

The first formula seems incorrect by the factor of r. The factor of r should vanish with the spatial integration over the lateral surface of the cylinder(because we have the lateral surface of the cylinder ##2\pi rl## and the electric field is proportional to ##\frac{1}{2\pi r}## ,r always the radius of the solenoid.

The integral of ##\int I\frac{dI}{dt}dt## is equal to ##\frac{I^2(t)}{2}##.

So, the first formula should be (ignoring the minus sign) ##U=\frac{1}{2}LI^2(t)##. You can check that this formula is equivalent to ##U=\frac{1}{2\mu_0}B^2lA## by using that ##L=\mu_0\frac{N^2A}{l}## and ##B=\mu_0\frac{nI}{l}##.

EDIT: I see now your original expression for the B field in the post #3 of this thread, you forgot the l in the denominator. Don't know if that was the cause of the miscalculation .

Last edited:
Yep! That was the issue. I believe this gives a complete solution to the problem. I see how the Poynting flux in L behaves like the Poynting flux in C.

Related to Magnetic field and Poynting Flux in an Inductor

1. What is a magnetic field in an inductor?

A magnetic field in an inductor is a region of space where electrically charged particles experience a force. It is created by the flow of electric current through the inductor's coils.

2. How does a magnetic field affect an inductor?

A magnetic field can induce a voltage in an inductor, which in turn creates a current in the circuit. This current causes the magnetic field to strengthen, which can lead to a self-sustaining cycle of energy storage and release.

3. What is Poynting Flux in an inductor?

Poynting Flux in an inductor refers to the flow of electromagnetic energy per unit area through the inductor. It represents the rate at which energy is transferred from the electric field to the magnetic field, and vice versa.

4. How is the Poynting Flux related to the magnetic field in an inductor?

The Poynting Flux is directly proportional to the magnitude of the magnetic field in an inductor. As the magnetic field changes, the Poynting Flux also changes, indicating the transfer of energy between the electric and magnetic fields.

5. Can the Poynting Flux be controlled in an inductor?

Yes, the Poynting Flux can be controlled by adjusting the strength of the magnetic field in an inductor. By changing the current or using materials with different magnetic properties, the Poynting Flux can be increased or decreased.