Magnetic field for thin plasma column confinement

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on the recommended magnetic field to use for their thin copper tube filled with hydrogen plasma fully ionized at low temperature. They also mention the need for a high throughput ion gun and the challenges of keeping the protons away from the container. One idea is to use an AC grid and an RF antenna to heat the hydrogen. The pressure is theoretically determined by the formula P=B^2/2mu_0, but it is recommended to increase it by 5 times in practice. They provide a link to a formula for confinement time and mention the pressure changes after ionization and increasing the temperature.
Javier Lopez
I have a thin copper tube of 4.4mm inner diameter (inside a long ionizer plasma cannon) and I want to fill in with hydrogen plasma fully ionized at low temperature (100eV), what is recommended magnetic field to have the ions there without touching tha walls?
The plasma life is about 0.5 seconds

Physics news on Phys.org
You clearly have a piece of instrumentation you don't understand. Posting many messages, each with one tiny aspect of the problem but none that give the whole picture is probably not going to be helpful.

I need a high throughput ion gun as part of the system. I have more troubles, as the magnetic field needed to maintain the protons frar of the container. My idea is to have about 0.2 teslas. It should help having the formula of how many ions would scape as a function of density, ion temperature, percentage of + ions and magnetic field, if not I will try to obtain it and place here.

Here is one of the ideas I could try. The grid is submitted to AC to increase the throughput. In red there is an RF antenna at 2.4GHz to heat the H2 to more than 10 eV. There is also a DC between antenna and grid that I not draw. (I have to isolate part of the tube at right of the grid but PTFE does not work well with H2 or protons):

zuo9yu.png

In theory the pressure is given by $$P=\frac{B^2}{2\mu_0}$$
But in practice it is recommended to increase 5 times. There is a calculus of the confinement time here:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/326232448_Useful_formula_and_excel_tables_for_plasma_physics_V07
Formula number 340.

I have about 0.1-2 pascals of H2 but after ionizing and increasing the temperature the pressure is increased also.

Attachments

• zuo9yu.png
    zuo9yu.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 352
Last edited:

1. What is a magnetic field and how does it relate to plasma confinement?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force is exerted on charged particles. In plasma confinement, a magnetic field is used to contain and control the movement of charged particles, such as ions and electrons, within a confined area.

2. How is a magnetic field generated for plasma confinement?

A magnetic field for plasma confinement is typically generated using electromagnets or permanent magnets. In the case of a thin plasma column, a solenoid or toroidal coil is often used to create the desired magnetic field.

3. What are the advantages of using a thin plasma column for confinement?

A thin plasma column offers several advantages for confinement, including the ability to achieve high plasma densities and temperatures, as well as efficient energy confinement. Additionally, a thin plasma column allows for better control and manipulation of the plasma due to its smaller size.

4. What are the challenges in creating a stable magnetic field for thin plasma column confinement?

One of the main challenges in creating a stable magnetic field for thin plasma column confinement is maintaining the desired strength and shape of the field. Any fluctuations or disruptions in the field can cause the plasma to become unstable and potentially escape. Additionally, external factors such as vibrations or magnetic interference can also affect the stability of the field.

5. How is the magnetic field strength and configuration optimized for plasma confinement?

The strength and configuration of the magnetic field for plasma confinement are optimized through careful design and experimentation. Factors such as the shape and position of the magnets, as well as the amount of current running through the coils, are all considered in order to create a stable and effective field for confinement.