Magnetic Field & Frequency: Exploring the Relationship

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the magnetic field and the frequency of the source in a system with changing charge and electric field. It is determined that the amplitude of the magnetic field is proportional to the frequency of the source, but it is not equal to the amplitude of the electric field multiplied by the angular frequency. The conversation also delves into using Ampere-Maxwell law to calculate the magnetic field in this system.
hidemi
Homework Statement
A sinusoidal emf is connected to a parallel plate capacitor. The magnetic field between the plates is:

A. 0
B. constant
C. sinusoidal and its amplitude does not depend on the frequency of the source
D. sinusoidal and its amplitude is proportional to the frequency of the source
E. sinusoidal and its amplitude is inversely proportional to the frequency of the source

The answer is D
Relevant Equations
(See better expression below)
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/282201
Are we using this equation above to explain this question? The magnetic field is definitely in sinusoidal form but how does it proportional to the frequency of the source?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your attachment is unreachable for me.
As the charge varies, what is happening to the E field? What does that mean for the B field?

Likes Steve4Physics and Delta2
haruspex said:
Your attachment is unreachable for me.
As the charge varies, what is happening to the E field? What does that mean for the B field?
I attached again.
The E field also varies and so does the B field. Are you trying to refer their relationship to the wave function of Maxwell equations?
E = Em*sin(kx-wt)
B = Bm*sin(kx-wt)

Attachments

• 3.png
    3.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 200
There will be electromagnetic waves from the capacitor whose voltage varies sinusoidal but they won't be plane waves like those equations you post at #3.
To find the form of waves assume that the electric field between the plates of the capacitor varies only with time but not with space, so it has the formula $$E=\frac{V}{l}=\frac{V_0}{l}\sin\omega t$$ where ##l## the distance between the capacitor's plates. Then use Ampere-Maxwell law to find the magnetic field generated by such an electric field. You can assume that the magnetic field lines will be concentric circles with their plane parallel to the plane of the capacitor's plates.

Delta2 said:
There will be electromagnetic waves from the capacitor whose voltage varies sinusoidal but they won't be plane waves like those equations you post at #3.
To find the form of waves assume that the electric field between the plates of the capacitor varies only with time but not with space, so it has the formula $$E=\frac{V}{l}=\frac{V_0}{l}\sin\omega t$$ where ##l## the distance between the capacitor's plates. Then use Ampere-Maxwell law to find the magnetic field generated by such an electric field. You can assume that the magnetic field lines will be concentric circles with their plane parallel to the plane of the capacitor's plates.
Thank you for the explanation!

hidemi said:
Thank you for the explanation!
Were you able to derive why D. is true using my suggestion at post #4?

Likes Steve4Physics
Delta2 said:
Were you able to derive why D. is true using my suggestion at post #4?
E = ω/k * B
As E varies, B does so based on their correlation. According to the formula in post #4, it illustrates how E relates to ω which is generated by the source. Is this you are looking for?

hidemi said:
E = ω/k * B
I don't think that's quite what Ampere's law says. Should be a derivative in there.
But in terms of amplitudes over the cycle, yes.

Likes hidemi and Delta2
No this isn't exactly what i had in mind. What I had in mind is to apply Ampere-Maxwell law to calculate B for the E as given in post #4.

Likes Steve4Physics
Delta2 said:
No this isn't exactly what i had in mind. What I had in mind is to apply Ampere-Maxwell law to calculate B for the E as given in post #4.
I think:
B * 2πr = μ0*ε0*dE/dt*πr^2
B = μ0*ε0*[v/l * cos(wt)] /2

hidemi said:
B * 2πr = μ0*ε0*dE/dt*πr^2
B = μ0*ε0*[v/l * cos(wt)] /2
Maybe @haruspex and @Delta2 have gone to bed! So I'll push in!

Your first equation (above) looks correct. You're getting really close! But you don't need to assume the plates are circular - you could replace ##\pi r^2## with A (area).

(I'll ignore your second equation as it's incorrect - you haven't differentiated properly. Also you have introduced (I think) the max. voltage and the plate separation, which are unnecessary; stick with ##E_0##.)

Using ##E = E_0 \sin( \omega t)##, differentiate (correctly!) to find dE/dt. Put this into your first equation. Now you can get an equation for B. Look at this and see if you can answer the original question based on this equation.

If using angular frequency (##\omega##) is causing any confusion, remember ##f = \frac {\omega}{2\pi} ##. Using (temporal) frequency (f) or angular frequency (##\omega##) doesn't change the correct choice of answer.

Likes Delta2
Steve4Physics said:
Using ##E = E_0 \sin( \omega t)##, differentiate (correctly!) to find dE/dt. Put this into your first equation. Now you can get an equation for B. Look at this and see if you can answer the original question based on this equation.
B*2πr = μ0 * ε0* (E0*ω*cos(ωt))
So, this equation tells the magnetic field is sinusoidal and its amplitude (E0*ω) is proportional to the frequency of the source.

The amplitude of the B-field is not "E_0*ω".

If you want the amplitude (##B_0##) rearrange your formula into the form:
B = (expression)cos(ωt)

Then (expression) is ##B_0##.

However, you are correct in saying "amplitude ... is proportional to the frequency of the source". So this answers the original (Post #1) question!

Likes hidemi
Steve4Physics said:
The amplitude of the B-field is not "E_0*ω".

If you want the amplitude (##B_0##) rearrange your formula into the form:
B = (expression)cos(ωt)

Then (expression) is ##B_0##.

However, you are correct in saying "amplitude ... is proportional to the frequency of the source". So this answers the original (Post #1) question!
Thanks for your further clarification and explanation.

Instead of working with fields I would work with the displacement current which is of course ##\omegaCV##; assume uniform current density along the plates, then use Ampere's law for the B field inside (& outside for extra credit) the capacitor.

BTW this is beyond intro physics but in fact as you increase the frequency more & more you get more and more new E and B fields.

Likes hidemi
rude man said:
BTW this is beyond intro physics but in fact as you increase the frequency more & more you get more and more new E and B fields.
yes i agree the full answer to that lies in Feynman lecture and is all about cavity resonator concept. Perhaps you can post the link to the Feynman Lectures if the OP is interested to read more about this

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region of space around a magnet or electric current where a magnetic force can be observed. It is represented by lines of force that show the direction of the force and its strength.

2. How is a magnetic field created?

A magnetic field is created by moving electric charges, such as electrons. When these charges move, they create a magnetic field that is perpendicular to the direction of their movement.

3. What is the relationship between magnetic field and frequency?

The relationship between magnetic field and frequency is that as the frequency of an electromagnetic wave increases, the strength of the magnetic field also increases. This is because the strength of the magnetic field is directly proportional to the frequency of the wave.

4. How does changing the frequency affect the magnetic field?

Changing the frequency of an electromagnetic wave can affect the strength and direction of the magnetic field. Higher frequencies result in stronger magnetic fields, while lower frequencies result in weaker magnetic fields. Additionally, changing the frequency can also change the wavelength and energy of the wave.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding the relationship between magnetic field and frequency?

Understanding the relationship between magnetic field and frequency is important in many fields, including telecommunications, medical imaging, and electricity generation. It allows us to manipulate and control magnetic fields to create devices such as MRI machines, generators, and antennas for wireless communication.