Magnetic Field in Capacitor

In summary, using Maxwell's extension to Ampere's law, the resulting magnetic field strength B(r,I) inside the capacitor at a radial distance r from the center axis is equal to 2πμ0(I + I_d), where I is the external current and I_d is the total electric field flux inside the capacitor changing at a rate of I/ε0. The perimeter of the circulation is a function of r and is inside the circular plates.
Ben Whelan

Homework Statement

A cylindrical parallel plate capacitor of radius R is discharged by an external current I. The
total electric field flux inside the capacitor changes at a rate dΦe/dt = I/ ε0. What is the
strength of the resulting magnetic field B(r, I) inside the capacitor at a radial distance r
from the centre axis? Start the answer with Maxwell’s extension to Ampere’s law.
[/B]

Homework Equations

So using the line integral ∫B⋅dl= μ0 (I + Id )[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

you get B⋅2πr= μ0 (I + Id )

However i don't understand what I and Id are?

I have the equation Id= ε0e/dt

however i don't understand why this is true or where this takes me?
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
You have an equation and you don't know what the symbols represent? May I suggest your first step is to find that out.
(Hint: the problem tells you what I is; it's given.)

Last edited:
rude man said:
You have an equation and you don't know what the symbols represent? May I suggest your first step is to find that out.
(Hint: the problem tells you what I is; it's given.)

Sorry i should have qualified, I know what the symbols represent, and i realize that I_d is given, i also assume I is 0. However what i don't understand is why?

Ben Whelan said:
Sorry i should have qualified, I know what the symbols represent, and i realize that I_d is given, i also assume I is 0. However what i don't understand is why?
Actually, I is given, not Id. I is the current in the wiring, not inside the capacitor. Inside the capacitor, I = 0 as you say.
Your answer is to be B(I,r).
Do you know the Maxwellian extension of Ampere's law? It relates the circulation of B to the electric flux inside the circulation perimeter.
Hint: the perimeter is itself a function of r. It is inside the circular plates.

I can provide a response to the content provided. First, let's start with Maxwell's extension to Ampere's law, which states that the line integral of the magnetic field around a closed loop is equal to the permeability of free space (μ0) times the total current passing through the loop, including any displacement current (Id) which is caused by changing electric fields.

In this scenario, a cylindrical parallel plate capacitor is being discharged by an external current I. As the capacitor is being discharged, the total electric field flux inside the capacitor is changing at a rate of dΦe/dt, which is equal to the external current I divided by the permittivity of free space (ε0). This change in electric field flux will induce a displacement current Id, which is given by the equation Id = ε0 dΦe/dt.

Now, in order to determine the strength of the resulting magnetic field B(r, I) inside the capacitor at a radial distance r from the center axis, we can use the equation B⋅2πr = μ0 (I + Id) from Maxwell's extension to Ampere's law. This equation takes into account both the external current I and the displacement current Id, which are both contributing to the total magnetic field inside the capacitor.

So, to summarize, the strength of the resulting magnetic field inside the capacitor is given by the equation B(r, I) = μ0 (I + Id)/2πr, where Id = ε0 dΦe/dt. This equation takes into account both the external current and the displacement current, which are both important factors in determining the strength of the magnetic field inside the capacitor.

1. What is a magnetic field in a capacitor?

A magnetic field in a capacitor is a region of space where the capacitor's electric field interacts with a magnetic field. This interaction produces a force that affects the movement of charged particles within the capacitor.

2. How is a magnetic field created in a capacitor?

A magnetic field in a capacitor is created when an electric current flows through the wires or plates of the capacitor. As the current flows, it creates a magnetic field around the wires or plates, which then interacts with the electric field in the capacitor.

3. How does a magnetic field affect the behavior of a capacitor?

A magnetic field can affect the behavior of a capacitor in several ways. It can induce an electric current in the capacitor, alter the capacitance of the capacitor, and impact the rate of charge and discharge of the capacitor.

4. How is the strength of a magnetic field in a capacitor measured?

The strength of a magnetic field in a capacitor is measured in units of tesla (T) or gauss (G). The strength can be calculated using the formula B = μ0 * I / (2πr), where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, and r is the distance from the center of the capacitor.

5. Can a magnetic field be used to store energy in a capacitor?

Yes, a magnetic field can be used to store energy in a capacitor. This is achieved through the process of magnetic energy storage, where the magnetic field created by the current in the capacitor is used to store energy that can be released later when the current is turned off.