Magnetic field near a rectangular bus bar

In summary, the conversation discusses using an old field theory notebook formula for a long straight conductor to determine a magnetic flux density of 2.3873T at 0.2mm, but it is suggested to use caution and consider a correction for the setup's geometry. It is also mentioned that the sensor should stay at least a few cm away from the current. Finally, it is clarified that the distance should be 2mm, not 0.2mm.
seadogsmith
Homework Statement
My project is to use a hall sensor to measure the magnetic flux density close to a rectangular bus bar [csa 19mm x 6.4mm] carrying 300A. But first I need to estimate the magnetic field in order to choose the correct sensor.
Relevant Equations
H = I/2πd
An old field theory notebook has given me a formula for a long straight conductor that H = I/2πd which suggests 2.3873T at 0.2mm. Is it a reasonable approximation to use this as a basis for selecting the sensor? Any help much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello seadogsmith, :welcome: !

Magnetic flux density is measured in Tesla, so I am missing a factor ##\mu_0## with the dimension of T##cdot##m/A

Furthermore I would stay away at least a few cm from such a current (but I grant you that'just a hunch).

Hyperphysics calculator is useful, but a correction for the geometry of the setup will be needed.

seadogsmith said:
at 0.2mm

That's awfully close. About three human hair widths.

BvU said:
Hello seadogsmith, :welcome: !

Magnetic flux density is measured in Tesla, so I am missing a factor ##\mu_0## with the dimension of T##cdot##m/A

Furthermore I would stay away at least a few cm from such a current (but I grant you that'just a hunch).

Hyperphysics calculator is useful, but a correction for the geometry of the setup will be needed.

Vanadium 50 said:
That's awfully close. About three human hair widths.
Whoops - I should have said 2mm.

What is a magnetic field near a rectangular bus bar?

A magnetic field near a rectangular bus bar refers to the magnetic force that is present in the space surrounding a rectangular-shaped conductor that carries an electric current. This field is created by the flow of electric charges, and its strength and direction can be influenced by factors such as the shape and size of the bus bar, the amount of current flowing through it, and the distance from the bus bar.

How does the magnetic field near a rectangular bus bar affect other objects?

The magnetic field near a rectangular bus bar can affect other objects in its vicinity in a number of ways. For example, it can exert a force on magnetic materials, such as iron or steel, causing them to move or align with the field. It can also induce a current in nearby conductors, which can be used for power generation or communication purposes. Additionally, the magnetic field can cause interference with electronic devices, so it is important to consider its effects when designing systems that operate near bus bars.

How can the strength of the magnetic field near a rectangular bus bar be measured?

The strength of the magnetic field near a rectangular bus bar can be measured using a device called a magnetometer. This instrument detects and measures the strength and direction of magnetic fields. Another method is to use a Gaussmeter, which specifically measures the strength of a magnetic field in units of Gauss. These measurements can help engineers and scientists understand the behavior of the magnetic field and make informed decisions about its effects on surrounding objects.

What factors can affect the strength of the magnetic field near a rectangular bus bar?

The strength of the magnetic field near a rectangular bus bar can be influenced by a few key factors. These include the amount of current flowing through the bus bar, the distance from the bus bar to the measuring point, and the shape and size of the bus bar itself. Additionally, the presence of nearby objects or materials, such as other conductors or magnetic materials, can also affect the strength and direction of the field.

What are some common applications of the magnetic field near a rectangular bus bar?

The magnetic field near a rectangular bus bar has several important applications in various industries. One common use is in power distribution systems, where bus bars are used to carry large amounts of electric current between power sources and loads. Additionally, the magnetic field can be harnessed for industrial processes, such as induction heating or electromagnetic forming. In electronics, the magnetic field near bus bars can be used to control the movement of charged particles, which is the basis of many electronic devices like speakers and motors.