Magnetic Field of a Rectangular Loop at Point P

In summary: What is dBz?sinθ1 = R / √((4R)2 + (R)2) = R / √17R2sinθ2 = 3R / √((4R)2 + (3R)2) = 3R / √25R2Therefore, the formula for B gives:dBz = μ0 I / 4π4R ⋅ [3R / √25R2 - R / √17R2]dBz = μ0 I / 16πR ⋅ [3R / √25R2 - R / √17R2]Applying the Biot-Savart law
says

Homework Statement

Find the magnetic field at the point distance R outside a rectangular loop of sides 2R, 4R carrying current I as shown in the attached diagram
4bZvS1zgrPJ7p_U1p0n4xRCJrHrjaTgm3GovX7cX1DxrcWbRVlBZjUodEhgqNt8YTq2Q_VxHCZQeZS65Oqk6yLr1JhfWnUbA.png

Homework Equations

Biot-Savart Law
iOj7251a0abeL8eOAH_Ykg5QrnyZabcOLgI-r77LlH2q7d3IRXdsar6Gp0IhSnKJvY8tfLzW-TfCvGIgFoC3FF1nz8UUthIA.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Could I just break this up into 4 separate lines and then calculate using the Biot-Savart Law for a finite wire? The magnetic field at the point, P, would then be the sum of the magnetic fields due to each line, no?

Physics news on Phys.org
says said:
Could I just break this up into 4 separate lines and then calculate using the Biot-Savart Law for a finite wire? The magnetic field at the point, P, would then be the sum of the magnetic fields due to each line, no?
Yes.

For the top line of the rectangle:

dB = (μ0I / 4π) ⋅ dl x r / r2

∫ dB = (μ0 I / 4π) ⋅ ∫ dl sinθ / r2

B = (μ0 I / 4π) ∫ (dl / R2 + x2) ⋅ (R / √R2+x2)

B = (μ0 I R / 4π) ∫ 1 / (R2+x2)3/2 dl

bounds of integration for the top line of the rectangle are from R=(0,4)

B = μ0I/4πR (4 / √R2 + 42)

---

For the bottom line of the rectangle everything is the same except R is now 3R because it is further away.

B = μ0I/4π3R (4 / √3R2 + 42)I've essentially followed this YouTube video to calculate B for the top and bottom line:

says said:

dB = (μ0I / 4π) ⋅ dl x r / r2

∫ dB = (μ0 I / 4π) ⋅ ∫ dl sinθ / r2

B = (μ0 I / 4π) ∫ (dl / R2 + x2) ⋅ (R / √R2+x2)

B = (μ0 I R / 4π) ∫ 1 / (R2+x2)3/2 dl

bounds of integration for the top line of the rectangle are from R=(0,4)
Pretty close. A couple of things: (1) dl should be written as dx in the integral since you are letting x represent position along the wire. (2) The limits of integration are x = 0 to x = 4R.

B = μ0I/4πR (4 / √R2 + 42)
This isn't quite right because of the mistake in the limits mentioned above.

Note: You listed a relevant equation that represents the result of doing the integration. So, if you understand that equation, you don't need to do the integration. (Or, you can use the equation to check your result for the integration.)

In the denominator of you answer, it looks like only the R2 is under the square root. Use parentheses if you want to indicate that all of R2 + 4 is inside the square root.

For the bottom line of the rectangle everything is the same except R is now 3R because it is further away.

B = μ0I/4π3R (4 / √3R2 + 42)
Again, close but not quite right because of a mistake in the limits of integration.

What about the vertical sides? Does either one of those contribute to the answer?

Ok, so I used the equation that I mentioned in my OP.

dBz = μ0I / 4πz ⋅ (sinθ2-sinθ1)

For the top and bottom lines of the rectangle sinθ1 = 0 so dBz reduces to:

dBz = μ0I / 4πz ⋅ (sinθ2)

z = √(R2 + (4R)2)
sinθ2 = R / z

dBz = μ0 I / 4πz ⋅ (R/z)

dBz = μ0 I R / 4πz2

Last edited:
I was using z as the hypotenuse, which I think is where the confusion has come from. I've renamed the hypotenuse to h for simplicity

dBz = μ0 I / 4πz ⋅ (sinθ2-sinθ1)

z = R (for the top line of the rectangle)

For the top line of the triangle dBz reduces to:

dBz = μ0 I / 4πR ⋅ (sinθ2)

sinθ2 = R/h

Therefore:

dBz = (μ0 I / 4πR) ⋅ (R/h)

dBz = (μ0 I / 4πh)

Expressing the answer in terms of R:

dBz = (μ0 I / 4π√(R2 +(4R)2)

Note that θ2 is the angle shown:
upload_2017-8-7_23-40-28.png

So, sinθ2 ≠ R/h. Otherwise, I think your work is OK.

ohhh in my OP the YouTube I linked it uses the θ from the other corner.

sinθ2 = 4R / h

dBz = μ0 I / 4πR ⋅ (4R / h)

Therefore:

dBz = (μ0 I 4R / 4πRh)

dBz = (μ0 I / πh)

Expressing the answer in terms of R:

dBz = (μ0 I / πh)

Bz = μ0 I / π √(R2+(4R)2)

That's the magnetic field at the point P due to the top line of the rectangle only

says said:
sinθ2 = 4R / h
Yes

Bz = μ0 I / π √(R2+(4R)2)

That's the magnetic field at the point P due to the top line of the rectangle only
OK. I would simplify the square root expression.

simplified:
Bz = μ0 I / π [R2+(4R)2]3/2

says said:
simplified:
Bz = μ0 I / π [R2+(4R)2]3/2
I don't see that. I just meant that you can simplify √(R2 + (4R)2) to R√17.

Likes says
For the line 2R on the right hand side of the rectangle:

sinθ2 = 4R / h2

sinθ1 = 4R / h1

dBz = μ0 I / 4π3R ⋅ [4R / h2 - 4R / h1 ]

h2 = 4R / √((4R)2+(3R)2) = 4R / √ 25R2

h1 = 4R / √((4R)2+(R)2) = 4R / √ 17R2

∴ dBz = μ0 I / 4π3R ⋅ [ 4R / √ 25R2 - 4R / √ 17R2 ]

For the right hand side of length 2R, the meaning of Z, θ1, and θ2 are as shown
upload_2017-8-8_0-54-53.png

sinθ2 = 3R / √((4R)2 + (3R)2)

sinθ1 = R / √((4R)2 + (R)2)

dBz = μ0 I / 4π4R ⋅ [sinθ2 - sinθ1]

dBz = μ0 I / 16πR ⋅ [3R / √((4R)2 + (3R)2) - R / √((4R)2 + (R)2)]

I'm not sure what to do for the left hand side of the rectangle. If both sinθ cancel, do i integrate 'R' from 3R to 0?

says said:
sinθ2 = 3R / √((4R)2 + (3R)2)

sinθ1 = R / √((4R)2 + (R)2)

dBz = μ0 I / 4π4R ⋅ [sinθ2 - sinθ1]

dBz = μ0 I / 16πR ⋅ [3R / √((4R)2 + (3R)2) - R / √((4R)2 + (R)2)]
I think that's correct.

Likes says
says said:
I'm not sure what to do for the left hand side of the rectangle. If both sinθ cancel, do i integrate 'R' from 3R to 0?
What are the values of θ1 and θ2 for this side? What does the formula for B give?

Or, apply the Biot-Savart law to an infinitesimal length dl of this side of the rectangle.

Likes says

1. What is a magnetic field and how is it measured?

A magnetic field is a region in space where magnetic forces can be observed. It is measured using a device called a magnetometer, which detects the strength and direction of the magnetic field at a specific point.

2. How is the magnetic field at a point P determined?

The magnetic field at a point P is determined by the strength and direction of nearby magnets or electrical currents. The closer the magnet or current is to the point P, the stronger the magnetic field will be.

3. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field at a point P?

The strength of the magnetic field at a point P is affected by the distance from the source of the field, the strength of the source, and the orientation of the source relative to the point P.

4. How does the direction of the magnetic field at a point P change?

The direction of the magnetic field at a point P can change depending on the movement of the source of the field. For example, if a magnet is rotated, the direction of the magnetic field at a point P near the magnet will also change.

5. What are some real-life applications of understanding the magnetic field at a point P?

Understanding the magnetic field at a point P has many practical applications, such as in navigation systems, motors, generators, and magnetic levitation technology. It is also used in medical imaging, such as MRI machines, to create detailed images of the body's internal structures.