Magnetic field on a solenoid: Y-intercept

In summary, the conversation discusses the results of a lab experiment exploring the relationship between a magnetic field and the number of turns and current of a solenoid. The data shows a significant Y-intercept that cannot be explained and the number of loops decreases as the current increases. Possible explanations such as sensor calibration and Earth's magnetic field are ruled out, but the effects of paramagnetism from the solenoid's core are considered.
SetepenSeth
EDIT: While going over the data again I noticed the sensor was giving us the data in µT, I'm editing the data I wrote to reflect this change of x10^-3 in magnitude.

1. Homework Statement

On lab class we are exploring the relation of a magnetic field on a solenoid (B) with its number of turns (loops) and the current that goes through. Using 3 different coils (with different number of loops / length / diameter) and using a field sensor we obtained data, the graphs of this data ( B in relation with I ) shows the expected lineal behavior, in all cases however, there is a significant Y-Intersect rounded to 0.0002 T which we can't explain as we expected it to be much closer to zero, the standard error ranges 7 x10^-7 .

Also, if we calculate the number of loops using the equation bellow, the number of loops is close to what we counted on the first couple of measures, but the value decreases as I increase, we can't explain that either.

Homework Equations

B=µo I n

n= N/L

Where

B= Magnetic field
µ0=Vacuum Permeability
I= Current
N= Number of loops
L= Solenoid length

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Some possibilities were ruled out- Sensor calibration (Ran the experiment again with very similar results)
- This should also rule out Earth's magnetic field as it was zeroed before any itineration
- Wires providing the current from the power supply (This one hasn't been completely ruled out but can't explain how would they increase the field in 0.0002 T)

Attached is an example of the graphs we are seeing, the other two are very similar to the first.

Attachments

• solenoid.jpg
    solenoid.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 412
  • solenoid2.jpg
    solenoid2.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 406
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you mean by your second question, but is it possible that you're measuring the Earth's magnetic field? That would give you a non-zero value for a zero current. The Earth's magnetic field ranges from about 25-65 micro teslas, which seems large enough to account for the error you're getting.

Another possibility is that you are picking up some paramagnetic effects from the core of the solenoid. The individual atoms of certain materials have magnetic moments which line up when put in a magnetic field and strengthen that field. I don't know the physics behind that quite as well, but it's another possibility.

1. What is the purpose of finding the y-intercept of a solenoid's magnetic field?

The y-intercept of a solenoid's magnetic field is used to determine the strength of the magnetic field at the center of the solenoid. It is also used to calculate the inductance of the solenoid.

2. How is the y-intercept of a solenoid's magnetic field measured?

The y-intercept of a solenoid's magnetic field can be measured by plotting the magnetic field strength at different points along the solenoid's axis and extrapolating the line to the y-axis. It can also be calculated using the formula B = μ0IN, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current in the solenoid, and N is the number of turns in the solenoid.

3. What factors affect the y-intercept of a solenoid's magnetic field?

The y-intercept of a solenoid's magnetic field is affected by the number of turns in the solenoid, the current flowing through the solenoid, the permeability of the material inside the solenoid, and the length of the solenoid.

4. Can the y-intercept of a solenoid's magnetic field be negative?

Yes, the y-intercept of a solenoid's magnetic field can be negative if the direction of the current in the solenoid is reversed, or if the solenoid is made of a material with a negative permeability.

5. How does the y-intercept of a solenoid's magnetic field change with distance from the center of the solenoid?

The y-intercept of a solenoid's magnetic field decreases as the distance from the center of the solenoid increases. This is because the magnetic field strength follows an inverse square relationship with distance, meaning it becomes weaker the further away from the center of the solenoid you measure it.