Magnetic Field & Particle Spin: Does It Matter?

In summary, the magnetic field and particle spin play crucial roles in various physical phenomena, ranging from the behavior of atoms and molecules to the functioning of electronic devices. The interaction between the magnetic field and particle spin is essential for understanding the properties of materials, such as their conductivity and magnetism. Furthermore, the manipulation of particle spin has potential applications in quantum computing and data storage. Therefore, the study of magnetic fields and particle spin is vital for advancing our understanding of the fundamental laws of nature and developing new technologies.
synch
Does the magnetic field caused by moving particles depend on the particle spin value?
Eg a stream of say protons spin 1/2 is creating a magnetic field. If the particles are (say) lithium nuclei spin 3/2 instead, does that create the same strength field ? (same conditions of course)

Physics news on Phys.org
synch said:
Eg a stream of say protons spin 1/2 is creating a magnetic field.
Do you think that this magnetic field arises from the, presumably, aligned spins of the protons in the beam or from the current generated by the moving charged particles?

Likes topsquark
[Will the spins be aligned in a weak field? .]

The standard logic goes, magnetic fields are typically created by moving charge, and so on. But charge always seems to be associated with spin, so there is also spin involved. Hence my question regarding using changed spin .
In general I am wondering if a magnetic field might be better described as a spin field - it makes more sense to me at least, ( qualitatively). That would maybe make the classical "lines of force" more sensible as directrices of resultant force or similar.

This might be better at the intermediate level, - it is long time since I did physics, hopefully it is a sensible question :)

synch said:
[Will the spins be aligned in a weak field? .]

The standard logic goes, magnetic fields are typically created by moving charge, and so on. But charge always seems to be associated with spin, so there is also spin involved. Hence my question regarding using changed spin .
In general I am wondering if a magnetic field might be better described as a spin field - it makes more sense to me at least, ( qualitatively). That would maybe make the classical "lines of force" more sensible as directrices of resultant force or similar.

This might be better at the intermediate level, - it is long time since I did physics, hopefully it is a sensible question :)
Technically the spin of an electron is quantum mechanical. If we treated the electron classically, then in the rest frame of the electron we would have the electromagnetic field associated with a spinning ball of charge. Which we could transform to the frame in which the electron is moving.

I'm not sure of the qualitative significance of the spin in this case. And, of course, the magnetic dipole moment of the electron is twice that calculated from classical electrodynamics. See, for example:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/spin.html

synch said:
But charge always seems to be associated with spin, so there is also spin involved.
Not always. Neutrons have spin but they have no charge. As far as I know, there are no magnetic fields associated with neutron beams.

Likes PeroK
kuruman said:
Not always. Neutrons have spin but they have no charge. As far as I know, there are no magnetic fields associated with neutron beams.
In classical EM, the neutron should have no magnetic dipole moment (at least if we consider it as an elementary particle). But in the quark model, it does have a measurable magnetic dipole moment.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is an invisible force field that surrounds a magnet or a moving electric charge. It is responsible for the attraction or repulsion of objects with magnetic properties.

2. How is a magnetic field created?

A magnetic field is created by the movement of electric charges. In magnets, the movement of electrons within the atoms creates a magnetic field. In electric currents, the flow of electrons creates a magnetic field.

3. What is particle spin?

Particle spin is an intrinsic property of subatomic particles, such as electrons and protons. It refers to the angular momentum of the particle, which can be thought of as a spinning motion. This spin is responsible for the magnetic properties of particles.

4. How does particle spin affect the magnetic field?

Particle spin affects the magnetic field in two ways. Firstly, the spin of individual particles contributes to the overall magnetic field of a material. Secondly, the alignment of particle spins within a material determines the strength and direction of the magnetic field.

5. Why does the direction of particle spin matter in a magnetic field?

The direction of particle spin matters in a magnetic field because it determines the direction of the magnetic force between particles. Particles with opposite spin directions will experience an attractive force, while particles with the same spin direction will experience a repulsive force.