Magnetic Field Strength (Integral needed)

In summary, the conversation discusses using a 10 m long, 0.55 mm diameter copper wire and a battery capable of passing 13 A through the wire to obtain a magnetic field inside a 2.8 cm diameter solenoid. The homework equations and attempt at a solution are also provided, with the question of whether integration is necessary or if the formula for the magnetic field inside a solenoid can be used.
smellsey

Homework Statement

You have 10 m of 0.55 mm diameter copper wire and a battery capable of passing 13 A through the wire. What magnetic field strength could you obtain inside a 2.8 cm diameter solenoid wound with the wire as closely spaced as possible?

Homework Equations

Turns of a solenoid = length of wire/ (2[tex]\pi[/tex] * radius of solenoid)

B = ( [tex]\mu[/tex]*turns of a solenoid * Current)/([tex]\sqrt{}(4(radius of solenoid)^2+(radius of copper wire)^2[/tex] where [tex]\mu = 4\pi *10^-7[/tex]

I believe that's right once you do the integration

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve this and I got B = 0.27 T but it isn't right! I've tried over and over again, but I can't see to get the right answer.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you need integration? Can't you use the formula for the magnetic field inside a solenoid?

Well...you could be right. How would you do that?

Related to Magnetic Field Strength (Integral needed)

1. What is magnetic field strength?

Magnetic field strength is a measure of the intensity or magnitude of a magnetic field at a specific point in space. It is typically represented by the symbol B and is measured in units of Tesla (T).

2. How is magnetic field strength related to magnetic flux density?

Magnetic field strength and magnetic flux density are closely related but not interchangeable terms. Magnetic field strength refers to the amount of magnetic force at a specific point, while magnetic flux density is a measure of the number of magnetic field lines passing through a given area. They are related by the equation B = μ0H, where μ0 is the permeability of free space and H is the magnetic field strength.

3. What is the difference between magnetic field strength and magnetic field intensity?

Magnetic field strength and magnetic field intensity are often used interchangeably, but technically they are different concepts. Magnetic field strength refers to the strength of the magnetic field at a specific point, while magnetic field intensity refers to the amount of magnetic force acting on a unit of current. They are related by the equation H = B/μ0.

4. How is magnetic field strength measured?

Magnetic field strength is typically measured using a magnetometer, which is a device that can detect and measure magnetic fields. The most common unit of measurement for magnetic field strength is the Tesla (T), but smaller units such as Gauss (G) are also used.

5. Why is it important to know the magnetic field strength?

Magnetic field strength is an important factor in many scientific and technological applications. It is crucial for understanding the behavior of magnets and electromagnets, as well as for studying the effects of magnetic fields on materials and living organisms. In addition, knowledge of magnetic field strength is essential for the design and operation of devices such as electric motors, generators, and MRI machines.