Magnetic field to increase concentration

In summary, can I apply magnetic field to increase concentration of a gas? or I will need too big magnetic field to surpass the 1000C molecular motion?
fysik
can I apply magnetic field to increase concentration of a gas? or I will need too big magnetic field to surpass the 1000C molecular motion?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure what you are thing here. More detail please.

I want to concentrate a 1000C gas in an area
can I apply magnetic field to increase its concentration in that area?

fysik said:
can I apply magnetic field to increase concentration of a gas? or I will need too big magnetic field to surpass the 1000C molecular motion?

fysik said:
I want to concentrate a 1000C gas in an area
can I apply magnetic field to increase its concentration in that area?

Your re-statement didn't really help. What kind of area? How concentrated? Why do you think that a B-field will have any effect on the gas?

Can you just use a piston in a cylinder to do the concentration?

berkeman said:
Your re-statement didn't really help. What kind of area? How concentrated? Why do you think that a B-field will have any effect on the gas?

Can you just use a piston in a cylinder to do the concentration?

excuse me, do you have any idea how mass spectometry works?
magnetic fields change the route of gas ions
why not increase the concentration of a gas, is it so illogical?

You didn't specify ions in your original question. That is important information (more of which is needed).

Ions in a gas move in all directions, unlike in a mass spectrometer. What is the reason for an increase in concentration in a particular region? What breaks the symmetry?

I want to increase concentration to increase chemical reaction possibility/rate

fysik said:
I want to increase concentration to increase chemical reaction possibility/rate

Ignoring my better judgement, I am going to respond here even though I am pessimistic that this will sink in.

The problem with your original question here is that it is the type of question that falls under "When did you stop beating your wife?" category.

You wanted to know how you can use magnetic field to increase the concentration of a gas. Note what you just did here. You have implicitly assumed that gas particles can be affected by magnetic field, and so you want to use that to try and somehow increase its concentration by manipulating the gas particles. You have basically assumed the validity of something, and then are trying to apply it.

The assumption that dynamics of gas particles can be affected by magnetic field is wrong! Gas particles are usually neutral particles, i.e. no net electrical charge. What physics are you using here that made you think that it can be affected by magnetic fields? This is your starting point, and it is a starting point that you either misunderstood, or didn't know to be even correct or not! I will criticize you for not doing more to check the validity of your assumption BEFORE you try to apply it to something.

This is why a lot of people are scratching their heads when they read this post. And to be frank, many of the questions you posts in a number of threads are of this nature, where you appear to mix-and-match things that simply made very little sense.

Zz.

why it's wrong assumption?
isn't oxygen paramagnetic?

fysik said:
why it's wrong assumption?

This was your ORIGINAL QUESTION:
can I apply magnetic field to increase concentration of a gas?

So explain to me where in there did you qualify your question to JUST "paramagnetic gas"? How about I give you argon gas? It is "A GAS" as well, isn't it? It took you how many posts in this thread to finally narrow down your phase space and be SPECIFIC in your question?

Secondly, can you show me the equation of motion of a "paramagnetic" particle in a "magnetic field?" I'm asking this because, as with "a gas", this is too vague and too general. What TYPE of magnetic field geometry do you have in mind?

Zz.

well, you could answer "yes, if the gas is magnetic/paramagnetic"
but it's not only that, what about if the gas is dipoles?
so that's why I didn't specify

I don't know the equation of motion of a paramagnetic particle in a magnetic field, or the type of magnetic field geometry that should be used, this is what I am asking basically

fysik said:
This is the first time you mentioned "paramagnetic." First we thought you were thinking of neutral atoms. Then we thought you were thinking of ions:
fysik said:
magnetic fields change the route of gas ions
Now it's paramagnetic atoms. :headbang:

fysik said:
well, you could answer "yes, if the gas is magnetic/paramagnetic"
but it's not only that, what about if the gas is dipoles?
so that's why I didn't specify

The problem is that this line of thinking can be continued almost indefinitely. It's impossible to explain every possible effect a magnetic field has on a gas in a forum thread so it is up to you to give us the details so that we can answer your question appropriately. We cannot read your mind.

I'm locking this thread. If you want your question answered, then start a new one and be sure to take the time and make the effort to explain, in as much detail as you can, what you want to know. If you aren't sure about the specifics, or if you want to know about a lot of different situations, then it's usually best to ask if anyone knows any good links, articles, or books on the subject. A forum is an excellent place to ask specific questions, but it is not a replacement for a good textbook on the subject.

Likes jtbell and berkeman

Related to Magnetic field to increase concentration

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a physical field that is created by electrically charged particles in motion, and it exerts a force on other electrically charged particles.

2. How can a magnetic field increase concentration?

A magnetic field can increase concentration by stimulating the brain's neural activity, resulting in improved focus and alertness. It can also enhance the brain's ability to process information and improve cognitive performance.

3. Is there scientific evidence to support the use of magnetic fields for increasing concentration?

Yes, there have been numerous studies that have shown a positive correlation between exposure to magnetic fields and improved concentration, memory, and cognitive function.

4. Are there any potential risks or side effects associated with using a magnetic field to increase concentration?

There have been no reported serious risks or side effects associated with using magnetic fields for increasing concentration. However, as with any form of therapy, it is important to consult with a healthcare professional before use.

5. Can anyone use a magnetic field to increase concentration?

While magnetic fields are generally considered safe, certain individuals such as those with pacemakers or other medical implants may need to avoid using them. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional before using a magnetic field for concentration if you have any medical conditions or are pregnant.