Magnetic Fields and Proton Beam therapy

In summary, Proton Beam therapy is an advanced technique that uses high energy beams of protons to destroy tumors. These beams are produced by accelerators and steered by magnets. In a particular cancer treatment center, the speed of the protons is 1.8 x 10^8 m/s. To find the magnitude of the constant magnetic field, the equation B = uI/2(pi)r can be used, but the current (I) is unknown. Another possible equation to use is F = BIL, but the current is still unknown. The engineers who installed the magnets measured the torque on a single square coil and found it to be .15 N.m for the magnetic field found in part (a). However, the
PhilCam
Proton Beam therapy is an advanced technique to destroy tumors by concentrating a high energy beam of protons to a specific depth inside the body of a patient. These proton beams are produced by accelerators and steered to the patient-treatment rooms by magnets. In a particular cancer treatment center, the speed of the protons is 1.8 x 10^8 m/s. In a particular arrangement, the proton beam is deflected by 90 degrees with respect to its initial direction by a constant magnetic field.

a) If the radius of the circular arc of the trajectory is 4.0 m, find the magnitude of the constant magnetic field.

b) The engineers who installed these magnets tested the magnetic field by inserting a single square coil of side .2 m. The plane of the coil was made parallel to the field lines. They measured the torque on this coil when it carried a current. They found th torque to be .15 N.m for the magnetic field you found in part (a). What was the current in the square coil?

For part A, I know I can use the equation:

B = uI/2(pi)r

Plug in what I know, I end up with :

B = 4(pi)x10^-7 (I) / 2(Pi)(4.0m)

or

2 (pi) x 10^-7 (I) / 4.0 m

However I am unsure what the current is and therefore, do not know what to plug in for I.

Physics news on Phys.org
B = uI/2(pi)r only applies to an infinitely long current-carrying wire. Here, you have to derive the equation yourself. What's the centripetal force equal to? What is it applied by? Also, since 1.8E8 m/s is more than half the speed of light, do you need to take into consideration relativistic effects?

We've never talked about centripetal force in class so I doubt that the answer is related to that.

I do not believe we have to take into consideration relativistic effects.

Would a formula like F= BIL be more effective? The current seems to be the missing link in all the magnetic field equations given.

Thank you for your reply.

1. What is a magnetic field and how does it relate to proton beam therapy?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be detected. In proton beam therapy, a magnetic field is used to guide and focus a beam of protons to precisely target a tumor.

2. How is a magnetic field created in proton beam therapy?

A magnetic field is created using a device called a synchrotron. This device uses superconducting magnets to generate a strong and uniform magnetic field that can guide and steer the proton beam.

3. What are the advantages of using a magnetic field in proton beam therapy?

The use of a magnetic field allows for more precise targeting of the tumor, reducing the risk of damage to surrounding healthy tissue. It also allows for a higher dose of radiation to be delivered to the tumor, increasing the effectiveness of the treatment.

4. Are there any risks associated with the use of magnetic fields in proton beam therapy?

The use of magnetic fields in proton beam therapy is considered safe and there are no known risks associated with it. However, precautions are taken to ensure the patient's safety, such as shielding the patient from the magnetic field and monitoring the patient's vital signs during treatment.

5. Is proton beam therapy with a magnetic field more effective than traditional radiation therapy?

Proton beam therapy with a magnetic field is still a relatively new treatment and more research is needed to determine its effectiveness compared to traditional radiation therapy. However, early studies have shown promising results, particularly in reducing side effects and targeting hard-to-reach tumors.