How Does Flipping a Ring Affect Magnetic Flux and Induced EMF?

In summary, the Earth's magnetic field at a specific location in the UK has a magnitude of 48 μT and is directed at 66° below the horizontal. To determine the magnitude of the flux through a wedding ring with a diameter of 2.2 cm when held in a horizontal plane, the equation for flux is used, which is the dot product of the magnetic field and the area vector. When the ring is flipped through 180° about a horizontal axis, the change in flux is calculated by subtracting the dot products at different angles. Finally, using Faraday's law, the induced EMF in the ring when flipped through 180° in 0.2 s is calculated by taking the negative of the change in
ghostbuster25
The Earth’s magnetic field at a certain location in the UK has a magnitude of 48 μT and is directed at 66° below the horizontal.

a)Determine the magnitude of the flux of the Earth’s magnetic field through a
wedding ring of diameter 2.2 cm when the ring is held in a horizontal plane.

b)What is the magnitude of the flux change when the ring is flipped through 180° about a horizontal axis?

c)Use Faraday’s law to calculate the EMF induced in the ring when it is flipped
through 180° in 0.2 s, assuming the flux changes uniformly during this time.

can anyone help me please i am completely stuck and don't know where to start :(

Physics news on Phys.org
You would actually probably be better off posting this in introductory physics, but that's okay, let me give you a hand anyway.

a) Remember that the equation for flux is [tex]\int \int \mathbf{B}\cdot d\mathbf{a}=\int \int B cos(\phi) da[/tex]

b) You should have an intuitive guess about this, but go ahead and work it out.

c) Remember that EMF is [tex]\frac{d \Phi}{dt}[/tex]

Hi ghostbuster remember the B dot A cross product rule that helped me and the angle is below thw horizontal so work out the angle you need

Not all that astonishingly, I have the same homework as ghostbuster. it's getting pretty late now though, but here are my tenuous attempts at the three questions:

a)

Magnetic flux = B dot A; this is the dot product of the B vector and the area vector, A

B = 48 x10^-6 T at 34 degrees from the normal vector to the the area

The A vector has magnitude = the area, and is directed perpendicular to the surface.
Mag A = (2.2 x 10^-2 m)^2

Therefore
flux = (48 x 10^-6 T) (Pi) [(2.2 x 10^-2 m)^2] (cos 34)
= 2.75 x 10^-6 T m ^2

(b)

The A vector changes direction

Δ flux = B A cos (156) – BA cos (34)
= ( -0.9135 - 0.8290) x 10^-8
= 1.7425 x 10^-8 T m2

[c]

Using Faraday's law

EMF = -N
dt

= -1 -1.7425 x 10-8 T m2
0.2 s

= 8.7125 x 10^-8 V

I had some help from a guy, who's reasoning I can't quite follow now he's gone. Part (a) makes most sense to me, but am rather lost with b and c. any help, or hints would be very gratefully recieved

a) To determine the magnitude of the flux of the Earth's magnetic field through the wedding ring, we can use the formula: Φ = BAcosθ, where Φ is the magnetic flux, B is the magnetic field strength, A is the area of the ring, and θ is the angle between the magnetic field and the normal to the surface of the ring.

In this case, we have B = 48 μT, A = πr² = π(0.011 m)² = 3.8 x 10^-4 m², and θ = 66°. Plugging these values into the formula, we get Φ = (3.8 x 10^-4 m²)(48 μT)(cos 66°) = 1.58 x 10^-5 Wb.

b) When the ring is flipped through 180°, the angle between the magnetic field and the normal to the surface of the ring changes from 66° to 180°-66° = 114°. Using the same formula as above, the magnitude of the flux change is given by ΔΦ = BAΔcosθ = (3.8 x 10^-4 m²)(48 μT)(cos 114° - cos 66°) = -2.61 x 10^-5 Wb.

c) According to Faraday's law, the induced EMF is given by ε = -NΔΦ/Δt, where N is the number of turns in the ring, ΔΦ is the change in magnetic flux, and Δt is the time taken for the change to occur.

In this case, N = 1, ΔΦ = -2.61 x 10^-5 Wb (since the flux is decreasing), and Δt = 0.2 s. Plugging these values into the formula, we get ε = -(1)(-2.61 x 10^-5 Wb)/0.2 s = 1.31 x 10^-4 V.

This means that when the ring is flipped through 180° in 0.2 s, an EMF of 1.31 x 10^-4 V is induced in the ring.

I hope this helps you get started! Remember to always use the appropriate formulas and units when solving problems involving magnetic flux and EMF.

Related to How Does Flipping a Ring Affect Magnetic Flux and Induced EMF?

1. What is magnetic flux?

Magnetic flux is the measure of the total magnetic field passing through a given area. It is usually represented by the symbol Φ (phi) and is measured in units of webers (Wb).

2. How is magnetic flux related to emf?

Magnetic flux and electromagnetic force (emf) are closely related. Emf is induced in a conductor when it moves through a magnetic field, causing a change in magnetic flux. This change in flux induces an emf in the conductor, according to Faraday's Law.

3. What factors affect magnetic flux?

The strength of the magnetic field, the area of the surface the field passes through, and the angle between the magnetic field and the surface are all factors that affect magnetic flux. Additionally, the permeability of the material the field passes through can also impact magnetic flux.

4. How is emf measured?

Emf is typically measured using a device called a voltmeter. The voltmeter is connected to the circuit in which the emf is induced and measures the potential difference between two points in the circuit. This potential difference is equivalent to the emf.

5. What are some practical applications of magnetic flux and emf?

Magnetic flux and emf have numerous practical applications, including power generation in electric generators, electric motors, and transformers. They are also used in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines, particle accelerators, and electromagnetic weapons.