Magnetic flux given magnetic field and sides (using variables)

In summary, the conversation is about finding the correct answer for a problem involving flux and the magnetic field. The initial attempt involved using a value for B that was too large. Upon further discussion, it was determined that the correct approach was to use an average value for B, resulting in the final answer with a coefficient of 0.5.
cestlavie
Homework Statement
A square loop of sides "a" lies in the yz plane with one corner at the origin. A varying magnetic field B = ky. points in the positive x direction and passes through the loop (k is a constant). The magnetic flux through the loop is: ##ka^3/2## or ##ka^3/3## or ##ka^2/2## or ##ka^2## or none of the above.
Relevant Equations
##Magnetic~flux=ABcos\theta##
##B=k_y##
##A= a^2##
I know the answer is ##ka^3/2##. I got ##ka^2## and I don't know how to get the right answer. I saw an explanation using integrals, but my class is algebra-based. My attempt:
##Flux=ABcos\theta##. I figure ##cos\theta## is 1 becuase the angle between the magnetic field and the normal to the plane is 0.
##Flux=AB##
##Flux=ka^2##
Please point me in the right direction. Thank you!

Attachments

• Visual of Problem.png
    Visual of Problem.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 93
Physics news on Phys.org
cestlavie said:
##Flux=AB##
##Flux=ka^2##
In going from the first equation to the second equation, what did you use for ##A## and what did you use for ##B##?

Likes cestlavie
TSny said:
In going from the first equation to the second equation, what did you use for ##A## and what did you use for ##B##?
@TSny I used ##a^2## for A and ##k## for B. B is technically ##k_y## but the answer options do not include the subscript.

cestlavie said:
@TSny I used ##a^2## for A and ##k## for B. B is technically ##k_y## but the answer options do not include the subscript.
I don't think ##y## is a subscript. The magnetic field varies with position as ##B = ky##. At the left side of the square where ##y = 0##, you have ##B = 0##. At the right side where ##y = a##, you have ##B = ka##.

Likes cestlavie
TSny said:
I don't think ##y## is a subscript. The magnetic field varies with position as ##B = ky##. At the left side of the square where ##y = 0##, you have ##B = 0##. At the right side where ##y = a##, you have ##B = ka##.
@TSny My professor formatted y as a subscript -_-. That explains the cubed value, but I still don't see where 0.5 comes from. If ##B=ky## and ##A=a^2##:
##Flux = BA = (ka)(a^2) = ka^3##

cestlavie said:
@TSny
##Flux = BA = (ka)(a^2) = ka^3##
Here you substituted ##B = ka##. But that's the value of ##B## at the far right edge of the square. For most of the square, the B-field is not that strong. You'll need to think about an appropriate average value of B to use.

Likes cestlavie
TSny said:
Here you substituted ##B = ka##. But that's the value of ##B## at the far right edge of the square. For most of the square, the B-field is not that strong. You'll need to think about an appropriate average value of B to use.
@TSny Got it. So they used ##B=\frac {k^a} {2}## for the average value, resulting in the answer with 0.5.

cestlavie said:
@TSny Got it. So they used ##B=\frac {k^a} {2}## for the average value, resulting in the answer with 0.5.
Yes. Nice work.

1. What is magnetic flux?

Magnetic flux is a measure of the total magnetic field passing through a given area. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of webers (Wb).

2. How is magnetic flux related to magnetic field and sides?

The magnetic flux passing through a surface is directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field and the area of the surface. This relationship is represented by the equation Φ = B*A, where B is the magnetic field and A is the area.

3. Can magnetic flux be negative?

Yes, magnetic flux can be negative. This occurs when the magnetic field and the surface are perpendicular to each other, resulting in a negative value for the flux.

4. What are the units of magnetic flux?

The units of magnetic flux are webers (Wb) in the International System of Units (SI). In the cgs system, the unit of magnetic flux is maxwells (Mx).

5. How can magnetic flux be calculated using variables?

To calculate magnetic flux using variables, you can use the equation Φ = B*A, where B is the magnetic field and A is the area. Make sure to use consistent units for both variables to get an accurate result.