Magnetic flux linkage and area as a vector

In summary, the problem involves a circular coil with a diameter of 24 mm and 40 turns placed in a uniform magnetic field with a flux density of 85 mT. The area of the coil is calculated to be 4.5x10^-4 and the flux linkage is 1.53 mWb. When the coil is reversed in 95 ms, the change in flux linkage is 3.06 mWb and the induced emf has a magnitude of 16.14 volts. This change in flux linkage can be explained by the fact that the area is a vector and changes as a cos function as the coil is rotated. This results in a change of sign in the flux linkage when the coil is rotated
Jimmy Jazz

Homework Statement

A circular coil of diameter 24 mm has 40 turns. The coil is placed in a uniform magnetic field of flux density 85 mT with its plane perpendicular to the field lines.

a) i Calculate the area of the coil

ii The flux linkage through the coil.

b) The coil was reversed in a time of 95 ms.

Calculate

i the change of flux linkage through the coil.

ii the magnitude of the induced emf

Homework Equations

Flux linkage = NBA
EMF = rate of change of flux linkage

The Attempt at a Solution

Part a I am ok with ai) area = 4.5x10^-4 and flux linkage is BNA = 1.53 mWb
In part b I struggled to see why the answer was 3.06 mWb and not a change of 1.53 to zero as it rotated.
my logic being that it changes from 1.53 to zero as it rotated for the first 90 degrees then back to 1.53.

I remember reading area is a vector so if this is true does it mean the flux linkage is changing from 1.53 mWb to -1.53 mWb, This would give me the correct answer in the back of the textbook.

Is there anyway of seeing this without knowing that area is a vector as this is not in the textbook as a principle taught on my course.

Thanks you for any help
Jimmy
summary question.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
I have just made the connection with my data sheet and the formula BANcos(theta)
Then the angle between a normal to the coil and the field with give the necessary change of sign on rotation through 180 degrees.
Is there any way of simply explaining why the area that the field lines cut changes as a cos function as the coil is rotated?

1. What is magnetic flux linkage?

Magnetic flux linkage is a measure of the number of magnetic field lines that pass through a specific area. It is a vector quantity that takes into account the strength of the magnetic field, the angle of the magnetic field lines to the area, and the size of the area.

2. How is magnetic flux linkage calculated?

Magnetic flux linkage is calculated by multiplying the magnetic flux (the number of magnetic field lines passing through a specific area) by the number of turns in a coil. It is represented by the symbol Φ.

3. What is the relationship between magnetic flux linkage and area?

The relationship between magnetic flux linkage and area is that as the area increases, the magnetic flux linkage also increases. This is because a larger area allows for more magnetic field lines to pass through it, resulting in a higher flux linkage.

4. How is magnetic flux linkage affected by the direction of the magnetic field?

The direction of the magnetic field has a significant impact on the magnetic flux linkage. If the magnetic field lines are perpendicular to the area, the flux linkage will be at its maximum. However, if the magnetic field lines are parallel to the area, the flux linkage will be zero.

5. Why is magnetic flux linkage important?

Magnetic flux linkage is an essential concept in electromagnetism and is used to calculate the induced voltage in a circuit. It also helps in understanding the behavior of magnetic materials and the functioning of devices such as transformers and electric motors.