Magnetic Induction on Wireless Earbuds

In summary, the Bragi Dash earbuds use magnetic induction instead of radio waves to communicate between the right and left earbuds. They are immune to wireless interference and virtually secure from eavesdropping. They are safe from a health perspective and much better than using bluetooth between the ears. The link between the earbuds is incredibly stable and works in virtually any condition, except within very strong magnetic fields. The energy consumption has been reduced, so expect an increase in battery life of 30-40%.
KG21
I was thinking about buying these new wireless earbuds called DASH. They are made by a kickstarter company Bragi. They recently told us that in order to connect both earbuds together and also connect it to a device using bluetooth they needed to use magnetic induction. I was wondering what that was and how it is able to boost a Bluetooth signal and if it was harmful or not. It seems interesting because they claim it makes Bluetooth signal much stronger, so you can even use them underwater. Where as I thought the Bluetooth signal couldn't pass though water. Anyway If you knew any information on this I would really appreciate it.

Below is the discription Bragi gives us about magnetic induction:

Plan C uses magnetic induction rather than radio waves for communication between right and left Dash. The Dash is still capable of connecting to a smart phone or computer via Bluetooth.

Each headphone creates a magnetic bubble of approximately 25cm. It is immune from wireless interference and virtually secure from eavesdropping. It is absolutely safe from a health perspective and much better than using bluetooth between the ears (we live in a huge magnetic field created by our dear earth).

The link is incredibly stable and works in virtually any condition except within very strong magnetic fields (that are very rare).

The Dash will provide stable stereo playback even if the user has long and wet hair, is wearing a helmet for skiing or biking and in other challenging conditions. It will even work while swimming (down to 1m depth due to water proofing). We think that is AWESOME!

The energy consumption has been reduced as well, so expect an increase in battery life of 30-40%. That results in improvement from 3 hours promised to 4 hours or more pending on sensor activity.

Engineering news on Phys.org
KG21 said:
I was thinking about buying these new wireless earbuds called DASH. They are made by a kickstarter company Bragi. They recently told us that in order to connect both earbuds together and also connect it to a device using bluetooth they needed to use magnetic induction. I was wondering what that was and how it is able to boost a Bluetooth signal and if it was harmful or not. It seems interesting because they claim it makes Bluetooth signal much stronger, so you can even use them underwater. Where as I thought the Bluetooth signal couldn't pass though water. Anyway If you knew any information on this I would really appreciate it.

Below is the discription Bragi gives us about magnetic induction:

Plan C uses magnetic induction rather than radio waves for communication between right and left Dash. The Dash is still capable of connecting to a smart phone or computer via Bluetooth.

Each headphone creates a magnetic bubble of approximately 25cm. It is immune from wireless interference and virtually secure from eavesdropping. It is absolutely safe from a health perspective and much better than using bluetooth between the ears (we live in a huge magnetic field created by our dear earth).

The link is incredibly stable and works in virtually any condition except within very strong magnetic fields (that are very rare).

The Dash will provide stable stereo playback even if the user has long and wet hair, is wearing a helmet for skiing or biking and in other challenging conditions. It will even work while swimming (down to 1m depth due to water proofing). We think that is AWESOME!

The energy consumption has been reduced as well, so expect an increase in battery life of 30-40%. That results in improvement from 3 hours promised to 4 hours or more pending on sensor activity.

Welcome to the PF.

What URL did you use to find that text? I did find some reviews, but not the text you wrote.

It looks like the introduction of that model has been delayed, but they do have prototypes:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/6/9268495/bragi-dash-wireless-earbuds-hands-on

:smile:

Their most recent update on Kickstarter says they have fully developed and are starting shipping of the dash. So it seems this method worked. I just don't totally understand the background on how something like this works.

Here is the link to their Kickstarter and their updates on it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ireless-smart-in-ear-headphones/posts/1375334

KG21 said:
It is absolutely safe from a health perspective and much better than using bluetooth between the ears (we live in a huge magnetic field created by our dear earth).
( Or rather: Bragi said )
The magnetic field from the "dear earth" is about 50μT. How strong is the field from the earbuds closing up your brain ( within 25cm )?
I have - for some reason - read a lot of (contradicting) articles/reports about the health perspectives: The chemistry in the body/(brain) may change in a (strong) magnetic field. It is wellknown that the chemistry in a fire can be somehow controlled by a magnetic field. You could say that in your body there is a "cold fire" ( 37C° ).

It has something with magnetic dipoles in your enzymes to do: They get into fixed positions in a magnetic field instead of whirling around freely. They will not do their job properly.

I'm sorry not to be able to give the full explanation ( too small vocabulary ).

Take care.

PS: I think that if you use them less than 2 hours per day, there is no danger at all. Toxic elements in your body will accumulate to an acceptable level during that time. Therafter it will vanish again. ( I'm not a doctor ).

Last edited:
They have two com systems
1. A normal bluetooth to connect with a bluetooth device
2. A magnetic system to communicate from bud1 to bud2

If you have audio stored on the device it can play underwater.

WHat made you think it would increase the bluetooth performance?

1. How do wireless earbuds use magnetic induction to function?

Wireless earbuds use magnetic induction to wirelessly transfer audio signals from the device to the earbuds. The earbuds have a built-in coil that creates a magnetic field when an electrical current is passed through it. This magnetic field then interacts with the coil in the device, creating an electrical current that is converted into sound waves.

2. Are there any health risks associated with magnetic induction on wireless earbuds?

No, there are no known health risks associated with the use of magnetic induction on wireless earbuds. The magnetic fields used in this technology are very low and are not considered harmful to the human body.

3. Can magnetic induction on wireless earbuds interfere with other electronic devices?

There is a possibility that magnetic induction on wireless earbuds can interfere with other electronic devices, especially those that also use magnetic fields. However, most devices are designed to minimize this interference and it should not be a major issue.

4. How does the strength of the magnetic field affect the performance of wireless earbuds?

The strength of the magnetic field can affect the performance of wireless earbuds. A stronger magnetic field can result in a stronger and more stable connection between the earbuds and the device, resulting in better sound quality. However, too strong of a magnetic field can also cause interference and affect the performance negatively.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using magnetic induction on wireless earbuds?

One potential disadvantage of using magnetic induction on wireless earbuds is that it can be affected by external magnetic fields, such as those from other electronic devices. This could potentially cause interference and affect the performance of the earbuds. Additionally, the distance between the earbuds and the device can also affect the strength of the magnetic field and therefore, the quality of the connection and sound.