Magnetism, circuits, and an inclined plane

In summary, magnetism is a force created by the movement of electrons that causes objects with opposite poles to attract each other. Magnets work by creating a magnetic field and interacting with other magnets. A circuit is a closed loop of conductive material that allows electricity to flow through it with the help of components such as a power source and resistors. It works by using the flow of electrons to power devices. An inclined plane is a simple machine that reduces the amount of force needed to lift or move an object by spreading it out over a longer distance.
campy

Homework Statement

This has a lot of parts, but I think I got the first few, or at least I'm on the right track.

You have an inclined plane (30 degree angle, the ramp part is 3m) with a 1kg metal bar that is 2m long at the top (mu static = mu kinetic = 0.1). The sides of the plane are lined with wires that have no resistance. A light bulb is also in the circuit, which has 0.5 ohms resistance. There is a uniform magnetic field of 0.05T up, which is induced as the bar moves. At the bottom of the ramp, the bar has a velocity of 8m/s.

1. Ignoring the magnetic field, what is the net force on the bar?
2. At the final velocity, what is the induced voltage across the bar?
3. What is the current in the bar?
4. As the bar accelerates, will the magnetic force increase, decrease, or stay the same?
5. what is the magnitude and direction of the magnetic force when the current from #3 is in the bar?

Homework Equations

Voltage = B*L*velocity
V = iR
B = (i *mu0) / 2*pi*R

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I used Fnet = Fg - Ff, so (9.81)(1)sin30 - (0.1)(9.81)(1)cos30 = 4.055N
Is that right to use the force parallel for Fg? Inclined planes were a long time ago

2. Voltage = B*L*velocity; V = (0.05 T)(3m)(8m/s) = 1.2 V
Is this correct? From the later part of this, it seems like the magnetic field would change by the time the bar hits the bottom, meaning it's not 0.05T any more. I don't know how else I can find B though, or if there's another way to find the voltage.

3. i = V/R; i = (1.2V) / (0.5 ohms) = 2.4 Amps

4. Voltage = B*L*velocity, so B = Voltage / (L*velocity), meaning that velocity and the field have an inverse relationship, so as v goes up, B goes down.

5. This is the one that really gets me. I want to use Voltage = B*L*velocity again, but if I convert the current to volts, I'll get the same 0.05T up, which would be fine if the magnetic field stays the same, but it doesn't, does it? I also tried using the third equation, but got a very small number (2.4 * 10^-7) which seemed unreasonably small.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

I am a scientist and I would like to help you with your questions. It seems like you are on the right track and have a good understanding of the concepts involved. Let me provide some guidance and clarifications to your solutions.

1. Your solution for the net force on the bar is correct. You correctly used the formula Fnet = Fg - Ff, taking into account the angle of the inclined plane and the coefficients of friction.

2. Your solution for the induced voltage across the bar is also correct. However, you are right in saying that the magnetic field may change by the time the bar reaches the bottom of the ramp. In this case, you can use the average velocity of the bar during its descent to calculate the induced voltage. This can be calculated by taking the average of the initial and final velocities, which would be (0 + 8)/2 = 4 m/s. So the induced voltage would be (0.05 T)(3m)(4m/s) = 0.6 V.

3. Your solution for the current in the bar is also correct. You correctly used the formula V = iR to find the current.

4. Your reasoning for the change in magnetic force as the bar accelerates is correct. As the velocity of the bar increases, the induced magnetic field will decrease, resulting in a decrease in the magnetic force.

5. To find the magnitude and direction of the magnetic force when the current is flowing through the bar, you can use the formula F = iLB, where i is the current, L is the length of the bar, and B is the magnetic field. In this case, the current is flowing through the bar from top to bottom, so the direction of the force would be perpendicular to both the direction of the current and the magnetic field, which in this case is upwards. So the magnitude of the magnetic force would be (2.4 A)(2m)(0.05 T) = 0.24 N.

I hope this helps clarify your solutions. Keep up the good work!

I would like to commend you on your thorough analysis and attempt at finding a solution to this problem. Your approach and use of relevant equations is commendable.

1. Your use of the net force equation is correct. The force of gravity is the only force acting on the bar, as friction is negligible due to the low coefficient of friction. The parallel component of the force of gravity is used because it is the only component that contributes to the motion of the bar down the inclined plane.

2. Your calculation of the induced voltage is correct. However, you are correct in noting that the magnetic field may change by the time the bar reaches the bottom of the ramp. In this case, the induced voltage would also change. To accurately calculate the induced voltage, we would need more information about the behavior of the magnetic field.

3. Your calculation of the current is correct, assuming that the voltage across the bar remains constant.

4. Your reasoning for the relationship between velocity and magnetic field is correct. As the bar accelerates down the ramp, its velocity increases, causing the induced voltage and therefore the magnetic field to decrease.

5. To calculate the magnetic force, we need to use the equation F = iL x B, where i is the current, L is the length of the bar, and B is the magnetic field. Since the current is flowing through the bar, the magnetic field would exert a force perpendicular to the direction of the current. Therefore, the direction of the magnetic force would be perpendicular to the plane of the bar and the magnetic field, and its magnitude would depend on the current flowing through the bar. Using your calculated current of 2.4 Amps and the given length of 2m, we can calculate the magnetic force as F = (2.4 A)(2m)(0.05 T) = 0.24 N. The direction of the force would be perpendicular to the plane of the bar and the magnetic field, and would depend on the direction of the current.

1. What is magnetism?

Magnetism is a force that is created by the movement of electrons within a material. It is the force that causes objects with opposite poles, such as north and south poles, to attract each other.

2. How do magnets work?

Magnets work by creating a magnetic field that surrounds them. This field is created by the alignment of the electrons within the material. When two magnets are brought together, their magnetic fields interact and either attract or repel each other.

3. What is a circuit?

A circuit is a closed loop of conductive material that allows electricity to flow through it. It typically consists of a power source, such as a battery, and various components, such as resistors and capacitors, that control the flow of electricity.

4. How does a circuit work?

A circuit works by using the flow of electrons through conductive materials to power devices or perform tasks. The power source, such as a battery, provides the initial energy to the circuit, and the components control the flow of electricity to produce the desired outcome.

5. What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a simple machine that consists of a flat surface that is angled or sloped. It is used to reduce the amount of force needed to lift or move an object by spreading out the force over a longer distance. Examples of inclined planes include ramps and stairs.