Magnetostatic question: about electromagnet/permanent magnet

In summary, a coil wound on a magnetic core is placed between two permanent magnets, with the coil fixed and the magnets affixed to a shaft. The coil will require more current and a stronger H field to induce saturation in the core material with the domains aligning with the field produced by the coil instead of the permanent magnet field. Torque can be calculated using the magnetic moment of the coil in a uniform magnetic field, with the equation Torque = Magnetic Moment x Magnetic Field x Sine the angle between the fields. The torque felt by the coil and core material will also be felt by the permanent magnets, causing them to align with the coil and core when current is applied.
Chris Fuccillo
General Information: A coil that is wound on a magnetic core is placed in between two permanent magnets as depicted below. The coil is fixed and the magnets are affixed to a shaft and can rotate freely. Assume that there is 0 friction for the purpose of the following questions Note: arrows on magnets depict magnetic field direction.

Question 1: this question is about the core material, when exposed to an external magnetic field and no current is flowing through the coil, the magnetic domains in the material will align with the external field. When I turn on current to the Coil the field will be at an angle of 90deg, will I require more current and stronger H field beyond the normal saturation level of the core material to induce saturation in the material with the domains in the core aligning with the field produced by the coil instead of the permanent magnet field that the coil is in?

upload_2018-8-8_11-1-46.gif

H= H field in Am

N= number turns

I= current

m = mean magnetic path length

Question 2: This question is about the torque produced and felt by both the coil and the permanent magnets. If the field between the two permanent magnets is a reasonably uniform field, can the torque be calculated using the magnetic moment of the coil in a uniform magnetic field? If it cannot be calculated this way could you point me to the proper theory and formula, as an example, would calculating pole torque be better or more accurate?

= Torque

= magnetic moment of coil

= uniform magnetic field

= Sine the angle between the fields

Question 3: This question is also about the torque. Will the torque felt by the coil and core material also be felt by the permanent magnets? Will this torque cause the permanent magnets to align with the coil and core when current is applied to the coil?

General Question PF-pic-1.jpg

Homework Equations

upload_2018-8-8_11-3-53.gif

upload_2018-8-8_11-4-6.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

I am trying to double check on the current needed to saturate the coil's core material that it is wound on when its exposed to an external magnetic field I do not need help calculating the formula, I need to know if the permanent field will require me to use more current than normally required to saturate the core when its exposed to a external field. Also want to verify I can calculate torque with the above formula for torque in a uniform magnetic field. [/B]

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-8_11-1-46.gif
    440 bytes · Views: 390
    479 bytes · Views: 354
    159 bytes · Views: 374
    195 bytes · Views: 360
    160 bytes · Views: 323
    209 bytes · Views: 355
  • General Question PF-pic-1.jpg
    General Question PF-pic-1.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 345
  • upload_2018-8-8_11-3-53.gif
    upload_2018-8-8_11-3-53.gif
    440 bytes · Views: 344
  • upload_2018-8-8_11-4-6.gif
    upload_2018-8-8_11-4-6.gif
    479 bytes · Views: 372
Physics news on Phys.org
Question 1: Yes, you will need to use more current and a stronger H field than the normal saturation level of the core material in order to induce saturation in the material with the domains in the core aligning with the field produced by the coil instead of the permanent magnet field that the coil is in. Question 2: Yes, you can calculate torque using the magnetic moment of the coil in a uniform magnetic field. The equation for torque is given by Torque = Magnetic Moment x Magnetic Field x Sine the angle between the fields. Question 3: Yes, the torque felt by the coil and core material will also be felt by the permanent magnets. This torque will cause the permanent magnets to align with the coil and core when current is applied to the coil.

1. What is the difference between an electromagnet and a permanent magnet?

An electromagnet is a type of magnet that is created by passing an electric current through a coil of wire. This induces a magnetic field and allows the magnet to turn on and off. A permanent magnet, on the other hand, has a magnetic field that is always present and does not require an external source of electricity.

2. How does an electromagnet work?

An electromagnet works by using the principles of electricity and magnetism. When an electric current is passed through a coil of wire, it creates a magnetic field around the wire. The strength of the magnetic field can be increased or decreased by changing the amount of current flowing through the wire.

3. What are some common uses of electromagnets?

Electromagnets have many practical applications, including in motors, generators, speakers, and MRI machines. They are also used in everyday objects such as doorbells, telephones, and credit cards.

4. Can an electromagnet be made stronger?

Yes, an electromagnet can be made stronger by increasing the number of turns in the coil of wire, increasing the current flowing through the wire, or using a magnetic core material such as iron. However, there are limits to how strong an electromagnet can be made, as the wire can overheat or the core material can become saturated.

5. How long do permanent magnets last?

Permanent magnets can last for a very long time, with some retaining their magnetism for thousands of years. However, over time, they may lose some of their strength due to factors such as exposure to high temperatures or strong magnetic fields.