Magnetostatics Proof: Proving Integral Along a Closed Loop = 0

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of the magnetic force between two current loops using the Biot-Savart law and the Lorentz force law. It is shown that the force on loop 2 due to loop 1 can be written in a form that demonstrates the consistency with Newton's third law. The conversation also mentions a specific part of the proof that the person is stuck on and asks for help in proving that a certain integral is equal to zero. An expert suggests using the correct formula for the integral and notes that it has been worked out in textbooks.
rocket
I'm working on a physics problem, and i got stuck on an integral. the entire question is as follows:

----------------------------
Magnetostatics treats the "source current" (the one that sets up the field) and
the "recipient current" (the one that experiences the force) so asymmetrically that it is by no means obvious that the magnetic force between two current loops is consistent with Newton"s third law. Show, starting with the Biot-Savart law and the Lorentz force law, that the force on loop 2 due to loop 1 can be written as

[tex] F2 = -\frac{\mu_o}{4\pi}I_1 I_2 \oint_1 \oint_2 \frac{\widehat{r}}{r^2} d\overrightarrow{l_1} \cdot d\overrightarrow{l_2} [/tex]

In this form it is clear that F2 = — F1, since i changes direction when the roles of 1 and 2 are interchanged. (If you seem to be getting an "extra" term, it will help to note that [tex]d\overrightarrow{l_2} \cdot \widehat{r} = dr [/tex].)
--------------------------------------

I'm okay with most of the proof - just a specific part I'm stuck on. i got to the part where i have
[tex] F2 = \frac{\mu_o}{4\pi}I_1 I_2 [\oint_1 \oint_2 \frac{d\overrightarrow{l_1} dr}{r^2} - \oint_1 \oint_2 \frac{\widehat{r}}{r^2} d\overrightarrow{l_1} \cdot d\overrightarrow{l_2}] [/tex]

i want to prove that the first integral is zero, so i need to show that this integral along a closed loop:

[tex]\oint_2 (1/r^2) dr[/tex]

is equal to zero. but I'm not sure how to prove it. i was wondering if someone can show me a rigid proof for this. Note that the integral is along loop 2. Note also that the [tex] \overrightarrow{r} [/tex] is the distance from a point on loop 1 to a point on loop 2 - that is, [tex] \overrightarrow {r} = (x2-x1, y2-y1, z2-z1) [/tex], so in the integral above, where r is a scalar, then [tex]r = [(x2-x1, y2-y1, z2-z1)]^{1/2} [/tex]. I'm not sure how to rewrite dr in terms of x2, since r is a scaler. should it be dr = dxdydz? I think I'm missing something here because I'm not really that familiar with loop integrals.

Attachments

• 5.62.jpeg
    5.62.jpeg
    7.6 KB · Views: 472
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]{\bf\hat r}/r^3[/tex] is wrong.
It should be [tex]\frac{\bf(r_2-r_1)}{{\bf|r_2-r_1|}^3}[/tex].
Then the first integral becomes dl dot a gradient which integrates to zero.
This problem is worked out in several tetbooks.

Related to Magnetostatics Proof: Proving Integral Along a Closed Loop = 0

1. What is the concept behind magnetostatics proof?

Magnetostatics proof is a mathematical concept that shows that the integral of the magnetic field along a closed loop is always equal to zero. This means that the total magnetic field around the loop is constant and does not change over time.

2. Why is it important to prove this concept?

Proving magnetostatics proof is important because it helps us understand the behavior of magnetic fields and their relationship with electric currents. It also allows us to make accurate predictions and calculations in various fields such as electromagnetism and electrical engineering.

3. How is magnetostatics proof different from other proofs in physics?

Magnetostatics proof is unique because it deals specifically with the behavior of magnetic fields, while other proofs in physics may focus on different phenomena such as electric fields or gravitational forces. Additionally, magnetostatics proof is based on the fundamental laws of electromagnetism, such as Maxwell's equations.

4. What are some real-world applications of magnetostatics proof?

Magnetostatics proof has many practical applications, such as in the design and operation of motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in the development of magnetic levitation technology and in medical imaging devices like MRI machines.

5. What are some common misconceptions about magnetostatics proof?

One common misconception about magnetostatics proof is that it only applies to stationary or steady-state magnetic fields. In reality, it can also be applied to time-varying magnetic fields. Another misconception is that magnetostatics proof is only relevant for closed loops, but it can also be extended to open loops and surfaces.