How Do You Calculate the Magnitude of Acceleration in an Elevator?

In summary: You just need to divide h by the number of time intervals (T) squared, and that's the acceleration in m/s^2.
Poetria

Homework Statement

A person is standing on an elevator initially at rest at the first floor of a high building. The elevator then begins to ascend to the sixth floor, which is a known distance h above the starting point. A plot of the acceleration as a function of time is shown in the figure above. The elevator undergoes an unknown constant acceleration of magnitude a for a given time interval T. Then the elevator moves at a constant velocity for a time interval 4T. Finally the elevator brakes with an acceleration of magnitude a, (the same magnitude as the initial acceleration), for a time interval T until stopping at the sixth floor.

Find a,the magnitude of the acceleration. Express your answers in terms of h and T as needed.

Homework Equations

[/B]
I thought this equation is the right one:
d=1/2*a*t^2
initial velocity is O

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
The question is somewhat obscure to me. Should I find an average magnitude?

a=h/(36*T^2) as h - six floors and there are 6 T - time intervals

or simply - the lift speeding up during T:

a=h/(6*T^2)

It looks simple but I am confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
Poetria said:

Homework Statement

A person is standing on an elevator initially at rest at the first floor of a high building. The elevator then begins to ascend to the sixth floor, which is a known distance h above the starting point. A plot of the acceleration as a function of time is shown in the figure above. The elevator undergoes an unknown constant acceleration of magnitude a for a given time interval T. Then the elevator moves at a constant velocity for a time interval 4T. Finally the elevator brakes with an acceleration of magnitude a, (the same magnitude as the initial acceleration), for a time interval T until stopping at the sixth floor.

Find a,the magnitude of the acceleration. Express your answers in terms of h and T as needed.

Homework Equations

[/B]
I thought this equation is the right one:
d=1/2*a*t^2
initial velocity is O

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
The question is somewhat obscure to me. Should I find an average magnitude?

a=h/(36*T^2) as h - six floors and there are 6 T - time intervals

or simply - the lift speeding up during T:

a=h/(6*T^2)

It looks simple but I am confused.

Is the "first floor" the American/Canadian version, meaning "ground floor", or is it the British version, meaning what a Canadian or American would call the second floor (with Brits calling the ground floor exactly that---the ground floor---floor zero)?

Likes Poetria
Use the standard equations of motion under constant acceleration to write formulas for each of:
  1. speed at end of initial acceleration
  2. distance traveled during initial acceleration
  3. distance traveled in middle period of constant speed
  4. distance traveled during final deceleration
Each of those will be a formula that uses only a and T. Some of the formulas may need to use answers from earlier steps.
Then, setting the sum of 2 to 4 equal to h, you get an equation in which the only unknown is a. Then solve the equation.

Likes Poetria
andrewkirk said:
Use the standard equations of motion under constant acceleration to write formulas for each of:
  1. speed at end of initial acceleration
  2. distance traveled during initial acceleration
  3. distance traveled in middle period of constant speed
  4. distance traveled during final deceleration
Each of those will be a formula that uses only a and T. Some of the formulas may need to use answers from earlier steps.
Then, setting the sum of 2 to 4 equal to h, you get an equation in which the only unknown is a. Then solve the equation.

Great, I got it right at last. Many thanks. Dividing h by 6 was a bad idea. :(

Well, I have learned British English but this can be American. :)

Poetria said:
Well, I have learned British English but this can be American. :)
Actually it doesn't matter which it is, since the distance traveled is that between the first and sixth floors, which is the same (assuming all floors have the same height) regardless of whether 'first floor' means ground floor (American interpretation) or the floor above the ground floor (British interpretation). Either way it's five floors.

But then since h - the total distance traveled in metres - is taken as known, the number of floors traveled is irrelevant too.

Likes Poetria

What is magnitude of acceleration?

Magnitude of acceleration is a measure of how much an object's velocity changes over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (size) and direction.

How is magnitude of acceleration calculated?

Magnitude of acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in an object's velocity by the time it takes for that change to occur. This can be represented by the equation a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

What are the units of magnitude of acceleration?

The units of magnitude of acceleration depend on the units used for velocity and time. However, the most common unit is meters per second squared (m/s2).

What is the difference between positive and negative acceleration?

Positive acceleration occurs when an object's velocity increases over time, while negative acceleration (also known as deceleration) occurs when an object's velocity decreases over time.

How does magnitude of acceleration affect an object's motion?

The magnitude of acceleration has a direct effect on an object's motion. A larger acceleration will result in a faster change in velocity, causing the object to speed up or slow down more quickly. A smaller acceleration will result in a slower change in velocity, causing the object to speed up or slow down more gradually.