Magnitude of Frictional Force in Simple Harmonic Motion

In summary, the conversation is discussing the concept of simple harmonic motion and its application to various scenarios. The equation for simple harmonic motion and the relationship between friction force, coefficient of friction, and normal force are also mentioned. There is confusion about whether the motion is varying or not and the potential for slipping at different points.
Rotnort

Homework Statement

upload_2017-6-11_1-11-47.png

I do not fully grasp the concept behind all of these sub questions (i)-(iv).

Homework Equations

v=wAcos(wt) (SMH)?
Friction Force = Coefficient of Friction * Normal Force

The Attempt at a Solution

(i) Varying as simple harmonic motion sees varying acceleration as it oscillates forwards, until a stationary point and then backwards.

(ii) Same (not varying) as block A moves with block B, in identical harmonic motion?

(iii) I think this has to do with the result of (ii), which would indicate (ii)'s correct answer is 'varying' but I am not sure why (conceptually).

(iv) as (iii)

Physics news on Phys.org
F=ma. If a is varying, what can be said about F?

Likes Rotnort
jbriggs444 said:
F=ma. If a is varying, what can be said about F?
I see, very simple. Thank you!

So for (iii), block A would be more likely to slip when block B is at x=d because at x=d block B would have greater acceleration (would it?)

Last edited:
Rotnort said:
I see, very simple. Thank you!

So for (iii), block A would be more likely to slip when block B is at x=d because at x=d block B would have greater acceleration (would it?)
Yes!

1. What is the magnitude of frictional force in simple harmonic motion?

The magnitude of frictional force in simple harmonic motion depends on the coefficient of friction between the two surfaces in contact. The higher the coefficient of friction, the higher the magnitude of frictional force. However, in simple harmonic motion, the frictional force is often assumed to be negligible due to the smooth and regular motion of the object.

2. How does friction affect simple harmonic motion?

Friction can affect simple harmonic motion by reducing the amplitude of the motion and causing the object to eventually come to a stop. This is due to the fact that frictional force acts in the opposite direction of the motion, reducing the net force and thus slowing down the object.

3. Is friction necessary for simple harmonic motion to occur?

No, friction is not necessary for simple harmonic motion to occur. In theory, if a perfectly smooth surface and a frictionless environment were present, a simple harmonic motion would continue indefinitely without any external force acting on the object. However, in real-world scenarios, some amount of friction is always present and can affect the motion.

4. Can the magnitude of frictional force change during simple harmonic motion?

Yes, the magnitude of frictional force can change during simple harmonic motion. As the amplitude of the motion decreases, the frictional force also decreases. In addition, if the surface becomes rougher, the coefficient of friction can increase, resulting in a higher magnitude of frictional force.

5. How can the magnitude of frictional force be reduced in simple harmonic motion?

The magnitude of frictional force in simple harmonic motion can be reduced by using smoother surfaces, reducing the normal force between the two surfaces, or by applying a lubricant between the surfaces. Additionally, choosing a material with a lower coefficient of friction can also help reduce the frictional force.