Magnitude of the force of static friction

In summary: If the object is at rest, what is the net force on the object?In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of the magnitude of the force of static friction on a block at rest on an incline. The options provided include choices based on the static coefficient of friction and the angle of the incline. However, the correct answer is the component of gravity mg sin theta, as this is the maximum force of static friction that can keep the block at rest. The net force on the object must be zero since it is at rest.
JessicaHelena

Homework Statement

A block of mass M is at rest on an incline that makes angle theta with the horizontal. Given that the static coefficient of friction is mu_s1 and the kinetic coefficient friction mu_k, what is the magnitude of the force of static friction exerted on the block by the incline?

a) mu_s1 M g cos theta
b) mu_s1 M g tan theta
c) Mg sin theta
d) Mg / than theta

Homework Equations

F_f = mu * F_N
F_net x = 0
F_net y = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Using that F_f = mu * F_N, since the block will have F_n = Mg cos theta due to F_net y = 0,I thought that F_f = mu_s1 * Mg cos theta, which is a). However, it is apparently choice c), and while I can see that using F_net x = 0, I don't get why a) would be wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
JessicaHelena said:

Homework Statement

A block of mass M is at rest on an incline that makes angle theta with the horizontal. Given that the static coefficient of friction is mu_s1 and the kinetic coefficient friction mu_k, what is the magnitude of the force of static friction exerted on the block by the incline?

a) mu_s1 M g cos theta
b) mu_s1 M g tan theta
c) Mg sin theta
d) Mg / than theta

Homework Equations

F_f = mu * F_N
F_net x = 0
F_net y = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Using that F_f = mu * F_N, since the block will have F_n = Mg cos theta due to F_net y = 0,I thought that F_f = mu_s1 * Mg cos theta, which is a). However, it is apparently choice c), and while I can see that using F_net x = 0, I don't get why a) would be wrong.
It would be wrong because μsMg cosθ is the maximum force of static friction not what is needed to keep the block at rest. As long as the component of gravity mg sinθ is less than that maximum value, the block will not slide. When mg sinθ exceeds that value, the block will slide. Conversely, if the block does not slide, the force of static friction must be mg sinθ.

JessicaHelena said:
Using that F_f = mu * F_N,
Careful! For static friction, mu*F_N is the maximum value of the friction force. The actual force could be anything up to that value.

Hint: The object is at rest.

1. What is the definition of "magnitude of the force of static friction"?

The magnitude of the force of static friction is the maximum amount of force that can be applied to an object before it starts to move.

2. How is the magnitude of the force of static friction different from kinetic friction?

The magnitude of the force of static friction is typically greater than the force of kinetic friction, as it takes more force to overcome the initial resistance of an object at rest compared to an object in motion.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of the force of static friction?

The magnitude of the force of static friction is influenced by the weight of the object, the surface roughness of the object and the surface it is resting on, and the force applied to the object.

4. How is the magnitude of the force of static friction calculated?

The magnitude of the force of static friction can be calculated by multiplying the coefficient of static friction (a constant determined by the materials in contact) by the normal force (the force exerted perpendicular to the surface).

5. How does the magnitude of the force of static friction affect an object's motion?

The magnitude of the force of static friction acts in the opposite direction of the applied force, preventing an object from moving until the applied force is greater than the static friction force. Once the applied force is greater, the object will start to move with an equal magnitude of kinetic friction force.