Magnitude of the induced magnetic field in a circuit

In summary, the circuit in Fig. 32-31 involves a switch, a 12.0 V battery, a 20.0 M resistor, and an air-filled capacitor with parallel circular plates of radius 5.00 cm and separation of 3.00 mm. At time t=0, the switch is closed to start charging the capacitor. The electric field between the plates is uniform. At t=250 ms, the magnitude of the magnetic field within the capacitor at a radial distance of 3.00 cm is determined using the equation ∫B⋅ds = μ0 I'd. The displacement current I'd is calculated using the electric flux through the appropriate area,
L_landau

Homework Statement

The circuit in Fig. 32-31 consists of switch S, a 12.0 V ideal battery, a 20.0 M resistor, and an air-filled capacitor. The capacitor has parallel circular plates of radius 5.00 cm, separated by 3.00mm. At time t=0, switch S is
closed to begin charging the capacitor. The electric field between the plates is uniform. At t=250 ms, what is the magnitude of the magnetic field within the capacitor, at radial distance 3.00 cm?

Homework Equations

∫ B⋅ds = ε0E/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by looking at dφE/dt. I said dφE/dt = dE/dt * A. Then I said that q = CV and therefore dq/dt = C dV/dt --> dv/dt = I/C. For a parallel plate capacitor we know that ΔV = E*d so taking the derivative dV/dt = dE/dt*d -- > dE/dt = 1/d * dV/dt. I then plug in the previously found dV/dt (=I/C) and since for a parallel capacitor C = ε0 * A/d, dE/dt = 1/d * I*d/ε0*A = I/(ε0*A). I'm quite confused because this gives me units of A*Newtons*m^2/coulombs^2, which is V/m/s. This seems dimensionally incorrect to me. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-11 at 9.09.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-11 at 9.09.14 PM.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 815
Physics news on Phys.org
L_landau said:
dE/dt = ... = I/(ε0*A).
OK
I'm quite confused because this gives me units of A*Newtons*m^2/coulombs^2,
This isn't quite right. Looks like you forgot to include the units for the area.
... which is V/m/s. This seems dimensionally incorrect to me.
You should find the units to be V/(m⋅s). Recall that the SI unit for E can be written V/m.

You can see that to find dE/dt at some time t, you will need the current at that time. You probably covered equations for charging a capacitor in an RC circuit that would be helpful here.

Ah I see. I was getting a different answer when I finished that line of reasoning but I just realized that it's because the magnetic field generated is supposed to be from the current ∫B⋅ds=μ0 Ienc rather than from a change in electric flux. This is kind of confusing to me because I thought that when a capacitor is being charged we say that there's a change of flux that induces a B-field. Any insight?

Your original approach looks good to me. B is due to the changing flux of E. I just noticed that your equation ∫ B⋅ds = ε0E/dt in your first post is missing a factor of μ0.

You can think of the equation ∫B⋅ds=μ0 Ienc as applying if you interpret Ienc as the "displacement current" enclosed. But the displacement current is defined as ε0E/dt.

so finishing this problem I have
I = (ε/R)e-t/RC --> ∫B⋅ds = μ0 (ε/R) e-t/RC. This leads to
B = μ0/(2πr) (ε/R) e-t/RC which for the time given leads to B = 2.34x10-12, but the correct answer is 8.4x10-13. Any ideas where I could be going wrong? The answer just uses B = μ0 id r / (2πR2) for the magnetic field inside of wires. The id is the displacement current.

L_landau said:
so finishing this problem I have
I = (ε/R)e-t/RC --> ∫B⋅ds = μ0 (ε/R) e-t/RC.
Here you are using the total current I going into the capacitor.

Instead, you need to use the displacement current through the appropriate area. You should think about what area constitutes the appropriate area. So, the current you need is I'd0E/dt where φE needs to be calculated for the appropriate area. I use a prime on I here to denote the displacement current through the appropriate area as opposed to the total displacement current Id for the entire area of a plate. Id (for the entire area of the plate) can be shown to equal the total current I going into the capacitor. But, I'd is only a certain fraction of Id.

If you set it up correctly, you should be able to show how the result is equivalent to the expression B = μ0 id r / (2πR2)

1. What is the formula for calculating the magnitude of the induced magnetic field in a circuit?

The formula for calculating the magnitude of the induced magnetic field in a circuit is given by Faraday's Law, which states that the magnitude of the induced magnetic field is equal to the rate of change of the magnetic flux through the circuit.

2. How does the number of turns in a coil affect the magnitude of the induced magnetic field?

The magnitude of the induced magnetic field is directly proportional to the number of turns in a coil. This means that the more turns there are in a coil, the stronger the induced magnetic field will be.

3. What is the relationship between the strength of the magnetic field and the rate of change of the magnetic flux?

The strength of the induced magnetic field is directly proportional to the rate of change of the magnetic flux. This means that the faster the magnetic flux changes, the stronger the induced magnetic field will be.

4. How does the material of a core affect the magnitude of the induced magnetic field?

The material of a core can greatly affect the magnitude of the induced magnetic field. Materials with high magnetic permeability, such as iron, can greatly increase the strength of the induced magnetic field.

5. Can the magnitude of the induced magnetic field be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of the induced magnetic field can be negative. This occurs when the direction of the induced magnetic field is opposite to the direction of the magnetic field that is causing the change in magnetic flux.