Maine has legalized same-sex marriage

• News
  • Thread starter turbo
  • Start date
In summary, voters in 4 states passed measures legalizing same-sex marriage. This is a big victory for the gay community and shows that public opinion is evolving in favor of same-sex marriage.
turbo
Gold Member
At the ballot-box, no less. Despite Maine having a Republican-controlled legislature and a Tea-Party governor, voters here decided to let the government issue marriage licences to same-sex couples. It's a pretty big deal.

I have 2 cousins who are gay (one has not come out) and a nephew. It would be so nice to see them have rights of inheritance, hospital visitations, pension benefits, etc.

One of my cousins has been in a committed relationship for over 20 years, and he is a master at renovating old vehicles. He has an old Bronco that looks like it was just driven off the lot earlier today. Not a good fit for US stereotypes of gay men.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/matt-mctighe/maine-gay-marriage_b_2053794.html

Physics news on Phys.org
Maryland has as well. I don't have any gay relatives that I'm aware of, but I've had close gay friends in the past, and this is certainly a big victory for them.

Same-sex marriage measures were on ballots in 4 states. Voters in WA, ME and MD passed measures legalizing same-sex marriage status in their states. MN had a mostly symbolic measure defining marriage as between "one man and one woman", which was safely defeated, but it doesn't do anything significant to advance gay rights in that state.

And speaking of ballot measures, CO and WA legalized recreational use of marijuana, OR defeated it. MA legalized medical marijuana, while AR defeated it.

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
Same-sex marriage measures were on ballots in 4 states. Voters in WA, ME and MD passed measures legalizing same-sex marriage status in their states. MN had a mostly symbolic measure defining marriage as between "one man and one woman", which was safely defeated, but it doesn't do anything significant to advance gay rights in that state.

And speaking of ballot measures, CO and WA legalized recreational use of marijuana, OR defeated it. MA legalized medical marijuana, while AR defeated it.

A co-worker came in this morning and announced he's going to get high, marry a dude, and send their kids to charter schools* :biggrin:.

*Washington passed a charter school amendment, too.

I'm glad this has occurred, now we will possibly see it become legal throughout the country in a few years. Hopefully before 2020!

Mentalist said:
I'm glad this has occurred, now we will possibly see it become legal throughout the country in a few years. Hopefully before 2020!

It's amazing how fast public opinion evolved wrt legalizing same-sex marriage. Some ~20 years ago, I thought it would eventually happen but not in my lifetime.

1. What is the significance of Maine legalizing same-sex marriage?

Maine's legalization of same-sex marriage marks a significant step towards equality for the LGBTQ+ community. It grants same-sex couples the same rights and recognition as heterosexual couples, including the ability to marry and access to benefits and protections that were previously denied to them.

2. When did same-sex marriage become legal in Maine?

Maine first legalized same-sex marriage in 2012, but it was later repealed by a referendum. In 2019, the state legislature passed a bill legalizing same-sex marriage again, and it was signed into law by the governor.

3. How does Maine's legalization of same-sex marriage impact other states?

Maine's legalization of same-sex marriage has a ripple effect on other states, as it adds to the growing number of states that recognize and support marriage equality. It also sets an example for other states to follow in terms of promoting inclusivity and equality for all individuals.

4. Are there any limitations or restrictions on same-sex marriage in Maine?

No, same-sex couples in Maine have the same rights and privileges as heterosexual couples when it comes to marriage. However, religious organizations and individual clergy members have the right to refuse to perform same-sex marriages based on their religious beliefs.

5. What was the process for legalizing same-sex marriage in Maine?

The process for legalizing same-sex marriage in Maine involved passing a bill through the state legislature and then having it signed into law by the governor. This was followed by a period in which opponents of the law could gather signatures to put the issue to a public referendum. In 2019, the bill was successfully passed and signed into law without having to go through a referendum process.