Majorana Particle Discovery: Princeton Researchers Report Direct Observation

In summary, the article discusses a particle that has yet to be observed in the lab, but is theorized to exist. It is speculated that when the particle is observed, it will be located at the edge of a topological superconductor. The article is terrible, and there is not much substantive information to be gleaned from it.
jim mcnamara
Mentor
http://thewestsidestory.net/2014/10/05/18346/obscure-majorna-particle-discovered-encompasses-matter-antimatter/

Reports the direct observation of Majorana particles, by Princeton researchers. Is there anything substantive to this? - or is it just a Science writer getting it wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
On first glance, it appears to be a science writer getting it wrong. He says they lower the metals to below absolute zero, and the clarity of the article isn't very large. It makes me suspicious.

I have no idea if the research being discussed it valid or not, but certainly the article is terrible.

It is highly unstable and due to its very tough and hard properties
I have no idea what "tough" and "hard" properties are and I doubt the writer does either. I suppose he's trying to emphasize complicated.

The temperature of the set up was decreased significantly, even lower than that of absolute zero temperature i.e. -273 degree Celsius.
This is where I stopped reading.

TumblingDice said:
Wow! A writer who can't read,
I think it's more a case of a writer who can't THINK.

Obviously, if this is happening in iron, it's not a fundamental particle. If you read better articles, you will see that this is a quasiparticle: a type of crystal defect that can be treated using the same mathematics as in field theory.

Article at sciencemag.org

They are clearly referring to quasiparticles. Abstract:
Majorana fermions are predicted to localize at the edge of a topological superconductor, a state of matter that can form when a ferromagnetic system is placed in proximity to a conventional superconductor with strong spin-orbit interaction. With the goal of realizing a one-dimensional topological superconductor, we have fabricated ferromagnetic iron (Fe) atomic chains on the surface of superconducting lead (Pb). Using high-resolution spectroscopic imaging techniques, we show that the onset of superconductivity, which gaps the electronic density of states in the bulk of the Fe chains, is accompanied by the appearance of zero energy end states. This spatially resolved signature provides strong evidence, corroborated by other observations, for the formation of a topological phase and edge-bound Majorana fermions in our atomic chains.

The same thing happens in Biology articles from the mainstream press. It seemed awful from the get-go, but there were no citations to get me further down the road. Did a Google search and found nothing.

Thanks for the input. And the links.

1. What is a Majorana particle?

A Majorana particle is a hypothetical elementary particle that is its own antiparticle. This means that a Majorana particle is identical to its antiparticle in all properties, including mass and charge. This type of particle is named after Italian physicist Ettore Majorana, who first proposed its existence in 1937.

2. How was the Majorana particle discovered?

The Majorana particle was discovered through direct observation by a team of researchers at Princeton University. They used a special type of material called a topological insulator, which has a unique surface that allows the detection of Majorana particles. By creating a low-temperature, high-magnetic field environment, the researchers were able to observe the particles and confirm their existence.

3. What is the significance of the Majorana particle discovery?

The discovery of the Majorana particle is significant because it provides evidence for the existence of a particle that was previously only theorized. It also has potential applications in quantum computing, as Majorana particles could be used as qubits (quantum bits) in quantum computers. This discovery also sheds light on the fundamental properties of matter and could lead to further breakthroughs in particle physics.

4. How does the discovery of the Majorana particle impact our understanding of the universe?

The discovery of the Majorana particle expands our understanding of the universe by providing evidence for the existence of a type of particle that was previously only theorized. This discovery also has implications for our understanding of the laws of physics and the fundamental building blocks of matter. It could also lead to new insights into the nature of dark matter, as Majorana particles have been proposed as a potential candidate for dark matter.

5. What are the potential future developments related to the Majorana particle?

The discovery of the Majorana particle opens up new possibilities for research and development in the field of particle physics. Scientists can now study the properties of Majorana particles in more detail and potentially use them in various applications, such as quantum computing and energy storage. This discovery also paves the way for further advancements in our understanding of the universe and the fundamental laws of nature.