Make a Pseudo-Riemannian Metric Conformal

In summary, the proof of the statement states that if there is a Riemannian metric with real analytic coefficients, then it takes the conformal form $$dl^2=f(u,v)(du^2+dv^2).$$
tommyxu3
Hello everyone:

I studied in differential geometry recently and have seen a statement with its proof:
Suppose there is a Riemannian metric: ##dl^2=Edx^2+Fdxdy+Gdy^2,## with ##E, F, G## are real-valued analytic functions of the real variables ##x,y.## Then there exist new local coordinates ##u,v## for the surface in terms of which the induced metric takes the conformal form
$$dl^2=f(u,v)(du^2+dv^2).$$

The proof of this applied the complex method to construct a function ##\lambda(x,y)## such that
$$\lambda (\sqrt{E}dx+\frac{F+i\sqrt{g}}{\sqrt{E}}dy)=du+idv,$$
$$\lambda (\sqrt{E}dx+\frac{F-i\sqrt{g}}{\sqrt{E}}dy)=du-idv,$$
where ##g=EG-F^2,## the determinant of the first fundamental form, and find such ##\lambda## then ##f=\frac{1}{|\lambda|^2}## is what we want.

What confused me was that is there a corresponding statement for a pseudo-Riemannian metric, at least in ##\mathbb{R}^2_1?## That is, I want to prove:

A pseudo-Riemannian metric ##dl^2=Edx^2+Fdxdy+Gdy^2## (of type ##(1,1)##) with real analytic coefficients, takes the form
$$dl^2=f(t,x)(dt^2-dx^2)$$
after a suitable coordinate change.

I try to prove it in the similar way but it seems not feasible for I just can factorize ##dt^2-dx^2=(dt+dx)(dt-dx),## without ##i## in the factorization. Directly decomposing it as real function, I still cannot find an answer, so I ask for help here >< Could anyone give me any advice?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure if this helps, but remember in the Lorentzian-signature case that your determinant ##g## is negative, hence your ##\sqrt{g}## will spit out an extra factor of ##i##.

Ah, a further comment. In the Riemannian case, there is no requirement that ##\lambda## be a real function. You can have (complex) ##\lambda## on one line and ##\bar \lambda## on the other, such that ##f(u,v) = 1/|\lambda|^2## appears in the metric. I have a feeling this might be necessary, actually.

Then, in the Lorentzian case, you actually have not just one integrating factor ##\lambda##, but two independent (real) ones, which you can call ##\lambda_1, \lambda_2##. Then your conformal factor will be ##f(t,x) = 1/(\lambda_1 \lambda_2)##.

Thanks for your help first!

I noticed that too! But then I felt hard to solve it. In the Riemannian case the complex number help me to separate the equation, and now I don't know how to have further result...

I'll keep trying~ thank you!

What is a Pseudo-Riemannian Metric Conformal?

A Pseudo-Riemannian Metric Conformal is a type of geometric structure that describes the curvature and distance of a space. It is a mathematical framework used in general relativity to describe the properties of space and time.

How is a Pseudo-Riemannian Metric Conformal different from a Riemannian Metric?

A Pseudo-Riemannian Metric Conformal is a generalization of a Riemannian Metric, which only applies to spaces with positive definite metrics. A Pseudo-Riemannian Metric Conformal can also describe spaces with negative definite metrics, making it more versatile for describing different types of spaces.

What does it mean for a metric to be conformal?

A conformal metric preserves the angles between curves in a space, but not necessarily the distances. This means that shapes and objects may appear distorted, but the relative angles between them will remain the same.

How is a Pseudo-Riemannian Metric Conformal used in physics?

In physics, Pseudo-Riemannian Metric Conformals are used in the theory of general relativity to describe the curvature of spacetime. This is important in understanding the behavior of objects and light in the presence of massive objects, such as planets and stars.

What are the applications of studying Pseudo-Riemannian Metric Conformals?

Studying Pseudo-Riemannian Metric Conformals has applications in various fields, including physics, mathematics, and computer science. It is used to understand the properties of space and time, and is also utilized in creating computer algorithms for efficient navigation and mapping of curved spaces.