Solve General Geodesics in FLRW Metric w/ Conformal Coordinates

In summary: Sorry, I was confused earlier. In summary, there is no way to make solving for general geodesics in FLRW spacetimes easier by converting to conformal coordinates because it adds another metric coefficient that depends on a coordinate. One approach to solving for geodesics is the brute force method of writing down all components of the geodesic equation and eliminating terms, while a faster method for metrics like FLRW is the geodesic Lagrangian method. Additionally, the shape of the orbits in FLRW spacetimes is independent of the choice of scale factor, as shown in the paper "The shape of the orbit in FLRW spacetimes" by
Onyx
TL;DR Summary
Solving for General Geodesics in FLRW Metric
Once having converted the FLRW metric from comoving coordinates ##ds^2=-dt^2+a^2(t)(dr^2+r^2d\phi^2)## to "conformal" coordinates ##ds^2=a^2(n)(-dn^2+dr^2+r^2d\phi^2)##, is there a way to facilitate solving for general geodesics that would otherwise be difficult, such as cases with motion in both ##r## and ##\phi##? I'm curious because there seems to be an ##n## killing vector evident in the new form, but I don't know if that makes it any easier.

Physics news on Phys.org
Onyx said:
there seems to be an killing vector evident in the new form
No, there isn't, because none of the metric coefficients are independent of ##n## (which is actually the Greek letter eta, ##\eta##, in most treatments in the literature).

Likes vanhees71
PeterDonis said:
No, there isn't, because none of the metric coefficients are independent of ##n## (which is actually the Greek letter eta, ##\eta##, in most treatments in the literature).
It appeared to me that there was, because of ##\frac{\partial K_\eta}{\partial \eta}-\Gamma^{\eta}_{\eta\eta}K_\eta=0##. That's strange.

Anyways, I feel like there must be some straightforward way to handle calculating any geodesic in FLRW, but I'm not sure.

Onyx said:
It appeared to me that there was, because of ##\frac{\partial K_\eta}{\partial \eta}-\Gamma^{\eta}_{\eta\eta}K_\eta=0##. That's strange.
It's not strange at all. You test for a Killing vector field using Killing's equation, which the equation you wrote down is not. The equation you wrote down is the geodesic equation (well, a somewhat garbled version of it, anyway), and (when properly written) shows that a worldline of constant ##r##, ##\theta##, ##\phi## is a geodesic. Which is not at all strange since that is the worldline of a comoving observer.

Likes vanhees71
Onyx said:
I feel like there must be some straightforward way to handle calculating any geodesic in FLRW
There are two general approaches for computing geodesics. One is the brute force way of writing down all of the components of the general geodesic equation and then eliminating terms which are known to be zero until you have something manageable. The other way, which is considerably faster for metrics like this one where the metric coefficients are only functions of one or two of the coordinates, is the geodesic Lagrangian method, which is described briefly here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solving_the_geodesic_equations#Solution_techniques

Likes vanhees71
Onyx said:
Once having converted the FLRW metric from comoving coordinates ##ds^2=-dt^2+a^2(t)(dr^2+r^2d\phi^2)## to "conformal" coordinates ##ds^2=a^2(n)(-dn^2+dr^2+r^2d\phi^2)##, is there a way to facilitate solving for general geodesics that would otherwise be difficult
One obvious way to make solving for the geodesics easier is to not switch to conformal coordinates. All that does is add one more metric coefficient that depends on a coordinate (##g_{nn}## depends on ##n##, whereas in the original form ##g_{tt}## does not depend on ##t##), and that is going to make more work for you in solving for geodesics no matter what method you use.

PeterDonis said:
One obvious way to make solving for the geodesics easier is to not switch to conformal coordinates. All that does is add one more metric coefficient that depends on a coordinate (##g_{nn}## depends on ##n##, whereas in the original form ##g_{tt}## does not depend on ##t##), and that is going to make more work for you in solving for geodesics no matter what method you use.
Perhaps if I consider the form that the metric comes in when switching to ##R=a(t)r##, where there is an ##\frac{a'}{a}## term, setting the scale factor to ##e^t## would help. But it adds a cross-term, so maybe not.

Never mind, I actually found a source that provides a way to do it. Apparently, the shape of the orbits is independent of the choice of scale factor, which seems bizarre.

Onyx said:
I actually found a source that provides a way to do it.
Can you give a reference?

Onyx said:
Apparently, the shape of the orbits is independent of the choice of scale factor
I'm not sure what you mean by "the choice of scale factor".

PeterDonis said:
Can you give a reference?I'm not sure what you mean by "the choice of scale factor".
"The shape of the orbit in FLRW spacetimes," by D Garfinkle.

The cited paper notes that the spatial projection of a geodesic in spacetime on to a constant curvature spatial slice (the usual FLRW coordinates' spatial slices) is also a geodesic of that space. Thus the paths depend only on the sign of the curvature and not the details of ##a(t)##.

That doesn't seem to me to be completely true, in that the amount of time for which one can follow a geodesic does depend on ##a(t)## in a closed universe, but that might be overly pedantic.

I note that the paper does not appear to use conformal coordinates in its analysis.

Likes vanhees71
Ibix said:
The cited paper notes that the spatial projection of a geodesic in spacetime on to a constant curvature spatial slice (the usual FLRW coordinates' spatial slices) is also a geodesic of that space. Thus the paths depend only on the sign of the curvature and not the details of ##a(t)##.

That doesn't seem to me to be completely true, in that the amount of time for which one can follow a geodesic does depend on ##a(t)## in a closed universe, but that might be overly pedantic.

I note that the paper does not appear to use conformal coordinates in its analysis.
I was thinking only of a ##k=0## case.

Onyx said:
I was thinking only of a ##k=0## case.
For future reference, is orbit the most frequently used word to describe a geodesic that has angular momentum?

1. What is the FLRW metric and why is it important in cosmology?

The FLRW (Friedmann-Lemaitre-Robertson-Walker) metric is a mathematical model used to describe the large-scale structure of the universe. It is based on the assumption of homogeneity and isotropy, meaning that the universe looks the same in all directions and at all points in time. This metric is important in cosmology because it allows us to study the expansion and evolution of the universe.

2. What are conformal coordinates and how are they used in solving general geodesics in FLRW metric?

Conformal coordinates are a type of coordinate system that preserves angles and shapes of objects. In the FLRW metric, conformal coordinates are used to simplify the equations and make it easier to solve for geodesics, which are the paths that particles follow in the curved spacetime of the universe.

3. How do you solve for general geodesics in FLRW metric using conformal coordinates?

To solve for general geodesics in FLRW metric using conformal coordinates, you first need to write the FLRW metric in terms of conformal time instead of cosmic time. Then, you can use the equations of motion and the geodesic equation to find the paths that particles follow in the universe. These equations can be solved numerically or analytically, depending on the specific problem.

4. What are some applications of solving general geodesics in FLRW metric with conformal coordinates?

Solving general geodesics in FLRW metric with conformal coordinates has many applications in cosmology. It can be used to study the behavior of particles in the expanding universe, such as the motion of galaxies and the propagation of light. It can also help us understand the formation and evolution of large-scale structures in the universe, such as galaxy clusters and superclusters.

5. Are there any limitations to using conformal coordinates in solving general geodesics in FLRW metric?

While conformal coordinates are useful in simplifying the equations for solving geodesics in FLRW metric, they do have some limitations. For example, they are not suitable for studying the behavior of particles near strong gravitational fields, such as those near black holes. In these cases, other coordinate systems may be more appropriate.