Make Greek Letters Bold in LaTeX

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Chestermiller
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, to make Greek letters boldface in LaTeX, use \boldsymbol{} or \boldmath{} commands outside of the math environment. In MathJax, you can use the \boldsymbol{} command with the amsbsy package loaded.
Chestermiller
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
2023 Award
How do I make Greek letters boldface in LaTeX? When I try \mathbf{}, I just get the regular non-bold Greek letter.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are working in a full LaTeX environment, try \boldmath. to switch on bolding all math chars including Greek letters then \unboldmath to turn it off. Both commands need to be outside the math environment.

In a full LaTeX environment, the following:

$\beta$\boldmath$\beta$\unboldmath$\beta$

comes across as three betas, normal, then bold, then normal.

It doesn't work in MathJax (what PF uses), as that is not full LaTeX, and the commands are issued outside of math environment. Below is what happens with a simple attempt:

##\beta##\boldmath##\beta##\unboldmath##\beta##

gives

Fortunately, PF MathJax appears to have the LaTeX package amsbsy loaded by default, so you can use its \boldsymbol command. The following code

##\beta\boldsymbol{\beta}\beta##

gives

Likes Chestermiller
andrewkirk said:
If you are working in a full LaTeX environment, try \boldmath. to switch on bolding all math chars including Greek letters then \unboldmath to turn it off. Both commands need to be outside the math environment.

In a full LaTeX environment, the following:

$\beta$\boldmath$\beta$\unboldmath$\beta$

comes across as three betas, normal, then bold, then normal.

It doesn't work in MathJax (what PF uses), as that is not full LaTeX, and the commands are issued outside of math environment. Below is what happens with a simple attempt:

gives

Fortunately, PF MathJax appears to have the LaTeX package amsbsy loaded by default, so you can use its \boldsymbol command. The following code

gives

Excellent! Thank you so much.

$$\boldsymbol{\sigma}=-p\mathbf{I}+2\eta \mathbf{E}$$

1. How do I make Greek letters bold in LaTeX?

To make Greek letters bold in LaTeX, you can use the command \boldsymbol{\alpha} to make the lowercase alpha bold or \boldsymbol{\Gamma} to make the uppercase gamma bold. You can also use the \bm command from the bm package.

2. Can I make all Greek letters bold at once in LaTeX?

Yes, you can use the \boldsymbol command with the * option to make all Greek letters bold at once. For example, \boldsymbol*{\alpha\beta\gamma} will make all three letters bold.

3. Why are my Greek letters not appearing in bold in my LaTeX document?

There could be a few reasons for this. First, make sure you have included the amsmath package in your document. If you are using the \boldsymbol command, make sure you have specified the letter you want to make bold. If you are using the \bm command, make sure you have wrapped the letter in curly braces, like this: \bm{\alpha}.

4. Can I make bold Greek letters in math mode in LaTeX?

Yes, you can use the same commands mentioned above (\boldsymbol or \bm) in math mode to make Greek letters bold. Just make sure to include the necessary packages and specify the letter you want to make bold.

5. Are there any other packages I can use to make Greek letters bold in LaTeX?

Yes, there are a few other packages that can be used to make Greek letters bold in LaTeX, such as amsbsy and bold-extra. However, these packages may have different commands or options, so it's best to consult their documentation for specific usage instructions.