Making a battery cigarette lighter

• Thread starter CrimpJiggler
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Battery
In summary: Jones, the creator of the YouTube channel "EEVblog", explains that the heating element in a prison lighter can be made of thin copper wire, but it would likely melt immediately. The material for a heating element needs to be less conductive than copper or aluminum, but a thin strand of copper could work. However, the heating element in the video is made from a piece of wire salvaged from a kettle, which is likely a thicker and more durable material. When completing a circuit with aluminum foil and tissue paper, the tissue did not ignite because it is not conductive enough to allow the 1.5V to overcome its resistance. However, it is possible to feel a burning sensation from the current passing through your fingers when holding the
CrimpJiggler
I read an article in prison inventions and was impressed by some of the things the inmates MacGyvered. A very simple invention I saw though was a cigarette lighter made from a battery:
prison-battery-lighter.jpg

I have an understanding of basic electronics theory but I have very little practical experience. I can see a piece of thin wire connected to the insulated copper wire, obviously that's the heating element but what material would you say that is? Am I right in assuming that a material for a heating element needs to be far less conductive than conductive metals like copper or aluminum?

I did an experiment in which I made a broken circuit with some aluminum foil. I completed the circuit with a piece of tissue paper (a single width) and was expected the tissue to go on fire but it didn't. I know tissue is completely non conductive but I thought that 1.5V would overcome the resistance the tissue is about a micrometer wide. I accidentally completed the circuit at one point and I was holding the foil to each terminal with fingers and I rapidly felt a burning sensation on my fingers so I know the battery has voltage in it. Why didn't the tissue ignite?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org

CrimpJiggler said:
Am I right in assuming that a material for a heating element needs to be far less conductive than conductive metals like copper or aluminum?

Well, less conductive than a normal sized wire, yes, but one COULD achieve that with a REALLY thin strand of copper. Of course it would likely melt immediately. But yes, your basic thought is correct.

I did an experiment in which I made a broken circuit with some aluminum foil. I completed the circuit with a piece of tissue paper (a single width) and was expected the tissue to go on fire but it didn't. I know tissue is completely non conductive but I thought that 1.5V would overcome the resistance the tissue is about a micrometer wide. I accidentally completed the circuit at one point and I was holding the foil to each terminal with fingers and I rapidly felt a burning sensation on my fingers so I know the battery has voltage in it. Why didn't the tissue ignite?

Why would you expect even thin tissue to conduct electricity at 1.5 volts? If you had maybe a molecule's thickness, yes, or if you had enough voltage to overcome the resistance, yes (although in that case I could expect a spark, not real conduction)

Thanks, that clears up my questions. One thing I'm still wondering though is why my fingers heat up if I hold a strip of aluminum foil to both terminals of the battery. The burning sensation on my fingers gets very intense in a matter of seconds. I don't feel any burning if I complete a circuit by holding two pieces of wire together with my fingers. I'm guessing what I'm feeling is electricity itself, not heat generated by the circuit. Is some of the current traveling through my skin (and thus heating the skin up)?

Also, do you know what material the heating element in that prison lighter could be made of? In this video:

the guy makes the same type of battery lighter but I don't understand where he gets the heating element from. I see that he disassembles a kettle but where does that piece of wire come from? All the kettles I've seen have heating elements like this:
http://www.sciencephoto.com/image/221343/530wm/H1300610-Kettle_electric_heating_element-SPL.jpg
I don't understand what that piece of wire he salvaged from the kettle is.

Last edited by a moderator:

CrimpJiggler said:
Thanks, that clears up my questions. One thing I'm still wondering though is why my fingers heat up if I hold a strip of aluminum foil to both terminals of the battery. The burning sensation on my fingers gets very intense in a matter of seconds.

well you are shorting out the battery and the foil is conducing all the current that the battery is able to supply. The foil is getting hot as a result and transferring that heat to your fingers

I don't feel any burning if I complete a circuit by holding two pieces of wire together with my fingers. I'm guessing what I'm feeling is electricity itself, not heat generated by the circuit. Is some of the current traveling through my skin (and thus heating the skin up)?

if you hold a bit of copper wire between the terminals of the battery , the same thing will happen. But you didnt specify that

what sort of circuit were you completing ? if its anything more than one that's close to a short circuit, then no, you won't feel the wire joint getting hot
( will qualify that by saying that it may get warm/hot if really high currents are involved)
That is because there would be a small amount of resistance in a mechanical joint that wouldn't be there in say a soldered joint

Dave

I am always intrigued by innovative and resourceful solutions, especially when they are created with limited resources. The invention of a battery cigarette lighter by inmates is a prime example of this.

In terms of the heating element material, it is difficult to determine without further information or a visual of the invention. However, based on your description, it is possible that the inmates used a resistive wire such as nichrome or kanthal, which are commonly used in heating elements due to their high resistance and ability to withstand high temperatures. These materials have a much higher resistance compared to conductive metals like copper or aluminum, making them ideal for heating elements.

As for your experiment, it is important to note that tissue paper is not completely non-conductive. It has a certain level of resistance, which may have been too high to allow for enough current to pass through and ignite. Additionally, tissue paper is a poor conductor of heat, so even if it did ignite, it may not have been able to sustain the flame. It is also possible that the tissue paper was not in direct contact with the aluminum foil, creating a gap in the circuit and preventing the flow of current.

Overall, the invention of a battery cigarette lighter is a creative and practical solution, but it is important to consider the safety and potential hazards associated with using homemade electrical devices. I would recommend further experimentation and research to ensure the safety and effectiveness of such inventions.

1. How does a battery cigarette lighter work?

A battery cigarette lighter works by using a small battery, typically a AAA or AA battery, to create an electrical current that heats up a small coil. This coil then heats up the metal casing of the lighter, which in turn, heats up the fuel source (usually butane) and creates a flame.

2. What type of battery is best for a cigarette lighter?

The best type of battery for a cigarette lighter is a standard alkaline battery, such as a AAA or AA battery. These batteries have a high energy density and can provide enough power to heat up the coil and create a flame.

3. How long does a battery cigarette lighter last?

The lifespan of a battery cigarette lighter depends on the type and quality of the battery used, as well as how often it is used. On average, a single AAA or AA battery can last for about 1-2 months with regular use.

4. Can you replace the battery in a cigarette lighter?

Yes, most battery cigarette lighters are designed to be replaceable. The battery compartment can be accessed by removing the casing or cover of the lighter. Be sure to use the correct type and size of battery when replacing it.

5. Are battery cigarette lighters safe to use?

Battery cigarette lighters are generally considered safe to use, as long as they are used properly and with caution. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and to keep the lighter away from any flammable materials. It is also recommended to check the battery and replace it if it shows signs of damage or corrosion.