Making a custom DIY light switch safe for home use

In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of a custom on-off switch for a homemade lamp. The user is concerned about the safety risks and asks for advice on whether using rubber around the circuit or a different material/strategy would be safer. Other members suggest using a proper switch and considering the safety risks of the lamp itself. They also recommend using low voltage LEDs and a wall adapter for safer power source options. The conversation ends with a reminder to prioritize safety and to not attempt to make a switch from scratch.
ktoz
Hi

I’m making a custom lamp for a Christmas present and want to create a custom on off switch to go with it. The switch part is easy, just make a mechanism that breaks or completes a circuit, but I’m not sure what to do to insure it doesn’t electrocute the user, or burst into flames.

If I superglue rubber around the circuit where the switch is located, will that do the trick? Or should I use some other material/strategy?

Thanks for any help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'd imagine that the lamp is at least as much of a safety risk as the switch. It's pointless to make a DIY switch because there are so many available off the shelf designs which are approved and safe. The way you word the question makes me doubt your level of basic knowledge and experience.
ktoz said:
Or should I use some other material/strategy?
Yes. Buy a proper switch and make sure your lamp wiring involves a proper holder for the bulb itself. In fact, if you are not qualified, I would suggest that you re-think the 'present' idea.
Alternatively, why not use 12V LEDs in the lamp (which are inherently a lot safer) and buy a mains adaptor? PF is always uneasy about safety risks.

Likes berkeman and russ_watters
sophiecentaur said:
I'd imagine that the lamp is at least as much of a safety risk as the switch. It's pointless to make a DIY switch because there are so many available off the shelf designs which are approved and safe. The way you word the question makes me doubt your level of basic knowledge and experience.

Yes. Buy a proper switch and make sure your lamp wiring involves a proper holder for the bulb itself. In fact, if you are not qualified, I would suggest that you re-think the 'present' idea.
Alternatively, why not use 12V LEDs in the lamp (which are inherently a lot safer) and buy a mains adaptor? PF is always uneasy about safety risks.
The reason I want to make the switch is that I want it to be an integral part of the design. I found lots of switches online, but none of them really looked quite right. As to the rest of the components, those will be off the shelf stuff, it’s just the switch that’s the sticking point.

I read up on their basic design and watched a couple DIY videos online and it’s not rocket science, but they all used batteries and I want to use standard American wall current, thus the question.

ktoz said:
it’s not rocket science,
True. And neither is repairing a bicycle or a gas cooker - but you can still kill yourself with either of those. Do not mess with mains if it's not actually necessary.
I can see why you want to use mains power but, if all the designs you like use batteries then they clearly use low voltage LEDs. So you need 12V, in any case - not mains volts. Use a wall wart adaptor and fit a simple torpedo switch in the 12V cord. Stay safe and do what the videos are telling you about using low voltages. Don't try to make a switch. There are many designs for 12V use - slide, rocker, toggle, push push etc - just like the ones in the designs you have seen. Spend some time with the on-line suppliers' catalogues. Your local shops may not have a good supply.

You need to use an appropriate wall wart; right voltage out and right maximum current, with some in hand.

Likes russ_watters and Rive
sophiecentaur said:
Don't try to make a switch.
The very most what's still safe is to hid it behing some DIY frontend without actually modifying any of its parts.
With some creativity that's still pretty much I think.

Likes russ_watters
The OP does not give nearly enough details to judge the safety.

Other members correctly point out the pointlessness of the lamp/switch project using mains power. With LEDs it could be battery powered, or use a 6V AC adapter both of which make it intrinsically safer.

Thread closed.

Likes berkeman and russ_watters

1. What materials do I need to make a custom DIY light switch safe for home use?

To make a custom DIY light switch safe for home use, you will need a standard light switch, a plastic cover plate, a screwdriver, electrical tape, wire strippers, and wire connectors.

2. How do I ensure that my custom DIY light switch is properly wired?

To ensure proper wiring, make sure to turn off the power to the light switch before beginning any work. Use wire strippers to expose the ends of the wires and connect them to the corresponding terminals on the light switch. Use wire connectors to secure the connections and wrap them with electrical tape for added safety.

3. Can I use any type of plastic cover plate for my custom DIY light switch?

No, it is important to use a plastic cover plate that is specifically designed for use with light switches. These cover plates are made of non-conductive materials and are designed to fit properly over the light switch, ensuring safety and functionality.

4. Are there any safety precautions I should take when making a custom DIY light switch?

Yes, it is important to always turn off the power before working on the light switch. Additionally, make sure to use proper tools and follow all instructions carefully. If you are unsure about any step, consult a professional electrician.

5. Can I make a custom DIY light switch for any type of light fixture?

While you can make a custom DIY light switch for most types of light fixtures, it is important to make sure that the switch is compatible with the specific fixture. Some fixtures may require a special type of switch, so it is best to consult the manufacturer's instructions before proceeding.