Making Paper Longer: Tips to Break a Record

• Thread starter Sarai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paper
In summary, for an applied tech lab class exercise, students are tasked with making a piece of paper as long as possible without breaking it or using tape. The record is 115 feet, and the student's goal is to reach at least 80 feet with only one practice sheet. Suggestions are given to use a razor blade and ruler to create a thin sliver or to cut the paper in a spiral shape towards the center. Additional advice is to practice and consider the possibility of receiving an unconventional paper shape. It is noted that with an 11" x 8.5" paper, it may be challenging to reach 80 feet with scissors.
Sarai
Okay, so for my applied tech lab class we have to take a piece of paper and make it as long as possible without breaking off the paper in any way. We aren't aloud to use tape and only one piece of paper. We get two practice sheets, in the class. Of course I a, aloud to do things outside of class but I'm not aloud to use it. The record is 115 feet and me and my partner ours to be at least 80 feet. I had the idea of cutting strips and folding it over but I don't know if there would be another way? Do any of you have any ideas?
Thanks for your answers, they are much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Sarai. :welcome:

Is it permissible to make use of a razor blade and ruler, to convert your page into a long thin sliver? [emoji196]

NascentOxygen said:
Hi Sarai. :welcome:

Is it permissible to make use of a razor blade and ruler, to convert your page into a long thin sliver? [emoji196]
See, that's what I was thinking, but I can't bring things like that into school, as I'd get expelled because it'd be a weapon.

Scissors, then.

While folding might be okay when the cuts are long, you'll be losing an increasing percentage of paper as the cuts get shorter towards the centre. A compromse might be to turn your cutting circular (i.e., spiral) towards the centre so there is no folding.

Likes Chestermiller
NascentOxygen said:
Sizzors, then.

While folding might be okay when the cuts are long, you'll be losing an increasing percentage of paper as the cuts get shorter towards the centre. A compromse might be to turn your cutting circular (i.e., spiral) towards the centre so there is no folding.

Okay, for a minute I was really lost on what you meant but I figured it out and I think that that is probably the best solution. Thank you so much.

Carry out some practice exercises beforehand, to determine a technique which looks most promising. Also, allow for the possibility that they may surprise you by distributing paper of some unexpected shape, e.g., cloud-shaped, P-shaped, whatever.

Likes Sarai
I assume your paper is 11" x 8.5". If you make long cuts and unfold then each strip adds around 10-10.5" to the length. In that case to reach 80feet you need 80 * 12/10.5 = 91 strips. If the width of paper is 8.5" each trip can only be around 8.5/91 = 0.093" wide, less than 1/10th inch. Have a go but I think it will be hard to do with scissors.

1. How can I make my paper longer without adding any additional content?

One way to make your paper longer without adding any new information is to increase the font size and line spacing. You can also adjust the margins and add extra spaces between paragraphs.

2. Are there any tricks for making my paper longer without it being obvious?

Yes, there are a few tricks you can try. You can use transition words and phrases to link your ideas together and make your paper flow better. Additionally, you can go into more detail or provide more examples to support your arguments.

3. How can I make my paper longer by adding more content?

To add more content to your paper, you can conduct additional research and include more evidence to support your arguments. You can also expand on your ideas and provide more detailed explanations and analysis.

4. Will using filler words and phrases make my paper longer?

Using filler words and phrases may make your paper longer, but it can also make it less cohesive and lower the quality of your writing. Instead, focus on adding meaningful and relevant content to make your paper longer.

5. How important is it to make my paper longer for the sake of breaking a record?

While it may be a fun challenge to try and break a record for the longest paper, it is more important to focus on the quality and effectiveness of your writing. Adding unnecessary length to your paper may actually detract from its overall impact and message.