Making rpg using a poker variant, could use help calc'ing odds in a 7 suit deck

• MHB
  • Thread starter DSLSamurai
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around creating an RPG that uses poker hands for determining success instead of random number generation. The person is seeking help in figuring out the odds for different types of hands, such as straights, flushes, and full houses. They are directed to consult the Wikipedia page on Poker Probability for comprehensive odds and further resources.
DSLSamurai
ok so major geek out lol but I'm working on an rpg that uses poker hands to determine success instead of dice or other random number generation.

I utilize a 7 suit deck with 13 cards/suit and am totally lost on how to "rank" hands by what the odds of getting them are. I need to figure all the odds out for straights(3 card long to 13 card long), flushes(3-13 long), pair to 7 of a kind with multiple kinds of "full house" options.

if anyone can help I'd much appreciate it.

E

Physics news on Phys.org
valuating poker hands for probability is a tricky business, and there's no quick and easy way to do it. There are some resources available that can help, though. A great starting point is the Wikipedia page on Poker Probability:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poker_probabilityThis page has a comprehensive list of odds for various poker hands, as well as an explanation of how they break down. It also has some useful links to other sources.Good luck with your project!

1. How do I calculate the odds in a 7 suit deck for my RPG?

To calculate the odds in a 7 suit deck, you will need to first determine the total number of cards in the deck. In a standard 52-card deck, there are 13 cards in each suit. In a 7 suit deck, there would be a total of 91 cards (13 cards per suit x 7 suits). From there, you can use a probability formula to determine the likelihood of drawing a specific card or combination of cards.

2. What is the best way to incorporate a poker variant into my RPG?

The best way to incorporate a poker variant into your RPG will depend on the specific mechanics and gameplay of your game. However, a common approach is to replace traditional dice rolls with poker hands. For example, a player may roll a hand of 5 cards and use the rank of the hand (e.g. straight, flush, full house) to determine the success of their action.

3. How do I balance the game to ensure fair gameplay?

Balancing a game that uses a poker variant can be challenging, as it involves both luck and strategy. One way to balance the game is to assign point values to certain poker hands and adjust them accordingly based on their likelihood of being drawn. Additionally, playtesting and gathering feedback from players can help identify any imbalances and inform adjustments to the game mechanics.

4. Can I use a 7 suit deck in place of a traditional 4 suit deck?

Yes, you can use a 7 suit deck in place of a traditional 4 suit deck. However, keep in mind that a 7 suit deck will have a different number of cards and may require adjustments to gameplay mechanics. It may also be more difficult to find or create a 7 suit deck, so consider the availability and accessibility of your chosen deck before implementing it into your RPG.

5. How can I make my RPG using a poker variant stand out from other games?

To make your RPG using a poker variant stand out, consider incorporating unique elements or themes into the game. You could also add in special abilities or power-ups that players can acquire through certain poker hands, or introduce a storyline or quest that is tied to the use of poker hands. Ultimately, the key to standing out is to offer a unique and engaging experience for players that sets your game apart from others.