Man on shooting rampage in office. Good time to call for an interview?

In summary, this man walked into a business and started shooting, the HQ of the company was not available for comment.
Newai
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100107/ap_on_bi_ge/us_business_shooting_st_louis
ST. LOUIS – A man with an assault rifle walked into a business Thursday and shot at least three people, police said. Their conditions were not immediately known.

The shooting occurred around 6:30 a.m. at the ABB Power plant on the city's north side and two hours later, police believed the gunman was still in the building. Details about the victims were not immediately known.

Phone messages and e-mail interview requests left Thursday by The Associated Press with Thomas Schmidt, an ABB corporate spokesman in Zurich, Switzerland, were not immediately returned.

Calls to the St. Louis business went unanswered Thursday morning.
So we have an emergency where people could be dying, and inside the office reporters are trying to get a hold of someone. Anyone.

I've seen this many times in immediate reports which leave me wondering if maybe there should be laws requiring the media to not tie up the lines, for obvious reasons.

What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The shooting was in St Louis, the HQ was in Zurich.
The HQ had already made a statement, AP was just doing the standard reporting thing of saying 'X was not available for comment'. For responsible news organisations this shows they did follow up, for the others it means they can spin it into X is avoiding us conspiracy.

report said:
Calls to the St. Louis business went unanswered Thursday morning.
I was under the impression that they were calling the office where the suspect was still believed to be inside.

Newai said:
I was under the impression that they were calling the office where the suspect was still believed to be inside.
Yes, they also said that they called the St Louis office and got no answer.

They're a news organization, they try to get news, they don't care about or consider the potential consequences.

Actually, I'd interpreted the title of this thread completely differently.

Back when I was a laid off construction worker with a two-year-old kid, plus another on the way, a guy I played little league baseball with was shot in the head while working at an all night gas station out on the interstate. I was the first person there to apply for his job the next day.

Even I would have waited until the shooters left the gas station, though.

BobG said:
Actually, I'd interpreted the title of this thread completely differently.
That's bad. Really bad. :tongue: Because in this economy, there probably are a few people who look at it like that.

Newai said:
That's bad. Really bad. :tongue: Because in this economy, there probably are a few people who look at it like that.

I was one of them :redface:.

Newai said:

It was a very similar economy when I took the gas station job to supplement a minimum wage security guard job (at least very similar if you lived in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Western New York, or Michigan at the time).

I was reading the interview stories on thedailywtf.com - having a job interview while people are being shot around you would just about fit in with some people's experience of interview for computer jobs!

What is the motivation behind the shooting rampage?

The motivation behind a shooting rampage in an office can vary greatly from case to case. It could be related to personal or professional issues, mental illness, or external factors such as a history of violence or access to weapons.

What steps do employers take to prevent workplace violence?

Employers should have policies in place for identifying and addressing potential violent behavior in the workplace. This could include conducting background checks, providing employee training on conflict resolution and de-escalation techniques, and having a zero-tolerance policy for any violent or threatening behavior.

How can employees protect themselves during a shooting rampage?

Employees should familiarize themselves with the emergency procedures and evacuation routes in their workplace. They should also be aware of any warning signs or concerning behavior from coworkers and report it to their supervisor or HR department. During an active shooting, employees should try to stay calm, hide or escape if possible, and follow any instructions from law enforcement.

What measures can be taken to prevent future incidents like this?

Preventing future incidents requires a multifaceted approach. Employers should have proper security measures in place, such as surveillance cameras and restricted access to certain areas. They should also regularly review and update their policies and procedures for handling workplace violence. Additionally, addressing any underlying issues such as mental health and providing support for employees can also help prevent future incidents.

What resources are available for those affected by workplace violence?

There are many resources available for those affected by workplace violence, including counseling services, support groups, and legal assistance. Employers should also have an employee assistance program in place to provide support for their employees. Additionally, government agencies and non-profit organizations may offer resources and support for those affected by workplace violence.