How Much Acceleration Can a Man Generate While Towing an Airplane?

In summary, the problem involves an 85 kg man trying to tow a 109000 kg airplane with a coefficient of static friction of 0.77. The man's maximum acceleration can be found by equating the friction force to the horizontal force and solving for the applied force. The constraint equation states that the acceleration of the man and the plane must be the same. This results in an acceleration magnitude of 10^-3.
wanos

Homework Statement

an 85 kg man plans to tow a 109000 kg airplane along a runway by pulling on a cable attached to it at an angle 9 above the horizontal. the coefficient of static friction between his between his shoes and the runway is 0.77. what is the greatest acceleration that the man can give the plane assuming that the airplane is on wheels that turn without any frictional resistance.

Homework Equations

it depends which body I'm solving for. if we're studying the plane alone the pulling force would ultimately replace the man. and we use the mass of the plane alone, but then the plane has no friction because we assumed it was frictionless.

as for the man, the kinetic friction force. but does he have an acceleration? and if he does would it be the same as the plane's. if so, we can make one body diagram and the mass would be the sum of the man's and the plan's, in this case we would ignore the pulling force on the cable... would the static friction apply if we assume on big body?am I on the right track?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

Homework Statement

an 85 kg man plans to tow a 109000 kg airplane along a runway by pulling on a cable attached to it at an angle 9 above the horizontal. the coefficient of static friction between his between his shoes and the runway is 0.77. what is the greatest acceleration that the man can give the plane assuming that the airplane is on wheels that turn without any frictional resistance.
Re-reading the problem statement carefully is often helpful. I bolded some important parts. What you are ultimately interested in is the acceleration of the plane, right? So I would start with a free-body diagram for the plane and try to apply Newton's second law. If you find that you cannot go any further with that, you may find Newton's 3rd law to help, in which case you will need another (separate) free-body diagram. I would not start with a free-body diagram for the whole man-plane system since that is not directly related to the goal.
wanos said:

Homework Equations

as for the man, the kinetic friction force.
Kinetic friction? You sure?

Edit: I assume the "greatest force the man can give" means he can apply any amount of force unless his shoes start slipping.

Last edited:
Hi wanos, welcome to PF.
If F is the force applied by the man at an angle θ,
what is its horizontal and vertical components?
what is the net normal reaction?
What is the frictional force?
Equate the frictional force to the horizontal force, and solve for F.
Mass of the plane is given. Find a.

i drew a free body diagram for the plan.
Fcos9=ma
i don't know the acceleration and i don't know the force by which the man is pulling :S

static friction, so I can slove for maximun acceleration of the man?
but if we;re talking about a cable, that means that there is also a tension force on the man which is equal to that on the plane?

if i solve for the tension force in the free bosy diagram of the man, and plug that into the equation with the free body diagram for the plane, i can figure out the plane's acceleration. but i don't even know if the man is accelerating, if he is then i can't solve this!

Her man will be at rest till the plane start moving because the length of the cable is constant. Plane will move forward only when man moves forward. And he can move forward only when the frictional force in the forward direction is greater then horizontal component of reactionary force acting on him by the plane.

wanos said:
i drew a free body diagram for the plan.
Fcos9=ma
i don't know the acceleration and i don't know the force by which the man is pulling :S

static friction, so I can slove for maximun acceleration of the man?
but if we;re talking about a cable, that means that there is also a tension force on the man which is equal to that on the plane?

if i solve for the tension force in the free bosy diagram of the man, and plug that into the equation with the free body diagram for the plane, i can figure out the plane's acceleration. but i don't even know if the man is accelerating, if he is then i can't solve this!

You're almost there. You have 2 equations in 3 unknowns. The final piece of information is the constraint equation. As rl.bhat was saying, the bodies are rigidly connected, which means the acceleration must be the same for each,

[tex]a_{x, \mathrm{man}} = a_{x, \mathrm{plane}}[/tex]

So I made 2 equations with 2 unknowns, the acceleration of the man/plane and the equal reaction pulling force between them. The normal force on the man is equal to his weight plus the vertical component of the pulling force. So we have the static friction force with respect to the pulling force. The friction force minus the horizontal component of the pulling force is equal to the man's mass times his acceleration. so basically I solved the two equations for acceleration, which ended up being of magnitude raised to to 10^-3. since the mass of the plane is much bigger than that of the man towing it, i guess it makes sense that the acceleration is relatively small?!

Thanks a million, both of you =)

Related to How Much Acceleration Can a Man Generate While Towing an Airplane?

1. How is it possible for a man to tow an airplane at an angle?

This is possible due to the principles of physics, specifically the concept of vectors. When the man pulls the airplane, he is exerting a force in a specific direction, which creates a vector. The angle at which the man pulls the airplane determines the direction and magnitude of the vector, allowing him to tow the airplane at an angle.

2. What is the purpose of towing an airplane at an angle?

Towing an airplane at an angle can be helpful in situations where the airplane needs to be moved in a specific direction. For example, if the airplane needs to be moved around obstacles or turned in a tight space, towing at an angle can provide more control and precision.

3. Is it safe for a man to tow an airplane at an angle?

Yes, as long as proper precautions are taken and the man is using appropriate equipment and techniques. It is important for the man to have proper training and knowledge of how to safely tow an airplane at an angle to avoid any accidents or injuries.

4. Can anyone tow an airplane at an angle?

In theory, anyone can tow an airplane at an angle as long as they have the physical strength and knowledge of how to do so safely. However, it is recommended that only trained professionals or individuals with experience in towing airplanes handle this task.

5. Are there any risks involved in towing an airplane at an angle?

As with any task involving heavy equipment, there are some potential risks involved in towing an airplane at an angle. These risks can include strain or injury to the person towing the airplane, damage to the airplane or surrounding objects, and potential accidents if proper precautions are not taken. It is important for proper safety protocols to be followed to minimize these risks.