Managing 2 Jobs: Balancing Fast Food and IT Positions

• Job Skills
  • Thread starter TheMacNerd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jobs
In summary: I worked in fast food for most of my adult life. Before, during, and after college. I absolutely prefer large corporations to mom and pop shops. Both as a worker and as a customer.In summary, the main difference between big corporations and small local businesses is the level of customer service. Big corporations usually have a wider variety of food options, more experienced employees, and more resources. However, local businesses can provide a more personal experience.
TheMacNerd
Hi,

I just got hired at a fast food place in my local area. I also however have an upcoming job interview with one of the best local Information Technology firms in my area for an information technology internship or co-op. My question is how exactly do I go about asking the fast food place that I literally just got hired at to give me the hours that I want so I can manage both the fast food job and the information technology job position at the same time?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you a student? Do you really need both jobs, I can imagine an IT position being much more lucrative than a fast food job. You should definitely risk a fast food job for what could eventually be a successful career path.

No I'm not a student. Both jobs would help. I take Uber/lyft to get there but yes both jobs would be beneficial because the IT is only an internship/co-op.

TheMacNerd said:
I take Uber/lyft to get there but yes both jobs would be beneficial because the IT is only an internship/co-op.
Ahh, yes. I think you should just approach them and tell them you need to adjust your hours a little bit. Maybe even offer more hours, but at times you are not busy.

Generally fast-food, part-time employers are used to working with people who have variable schedules. Once you know the hours that you will need to commit to in your internship, block them off with your manager at the other place.

In my experience managers appreciate transparency when it comes to things like this. What they want is to know that they can count on you when you are scheduled to work.

Do also be aware that with most jobs like this there are certain mandatory training periods. These may be less flexible.

TheMacNerd said:
No I'm not a student. Both jobs would help. I take Uber/lyft to get there but yes both jobs would be beneficial because the IT is only an internship/co-op.
The technical position, being an internship, might be lenient or not on your attendance schedule to it. If flexible, then great! You might be able to keep your food-stand job and attend the technical internship.

Most fast food jobs are used to adjust hours to suit other employee committments.

But some requests are easier to accommodate than others, depending on their supply and demand needs for labor. If your IT job requires you to be there at a time that is high demand and low supply for the fast food job, it might not work out.

I worked several food service jobs earlier in my life. They hired lots of teens and were always able to accommodate normal school hours with the evening shift starting at 4 PM or later. BUT the older folks who could work the day shift made more, because there was less supply of help for the day shift.

If the IT job is during the day, I'd give you about an 80% chance of success if (after you are offered the IT gig), you simply have an honest conversation with the scheduling manager at the fast food place.

***Update**** at the fast food place, I'm mostly working late in the week (Thursdays, Fridays) and weekends. So I should be able to find some way to make it work that I can have both the internship/co-op at the IT place and the fast food job.

TheMacNerd said:
***Update**** at the fast food place, I'm mostly working late in the week (Thursdays, Fridays) and weekends. So I should be able to find some way to make it work that I can have both the internship/co-op at the IT place and the fast food job.
Probably worth a new topic, but I'm curious how it really is working at a fastfood place. Also interested if any differences between a big major brand type and a small local business type-one-of-a-kind little shop.

I worked in retail while doing an internship. I found my retail employers to be very accommodating after I explained my opportunity, but this accommodation stopped after I transferred stores.

I personally liked working both opportunities. Retail isn't for everyone, but I enjoy it. I really like the challenges and the work I was doing at my internship; however: It was a bit lonely at times and I felt like I was drifting socially. I'm a talkative person.

symbolipoint said:
Probably worth a new topic, but I'm curious how it really is working at a fastfood place. Also interested if any differences between a big major brand type and a small local business type-one-of-a-kind little shop.

I worked in fast food for most of my adult life. Before, during, and after college. I absolutely prefer large corporations to mom and pop shops. Both as a worker and as a patron. Mom and pop shops are usually crap IMO. Crappy to work for, less hygienic, lower quality, lower pay, and more expensive food. At a mom and pop shop there is no corporate guidance or guidelines providing structure. It is whatever mood the owner/happens to be in that day. There is no recourse of higher ups and they know it. Small shops half ass repairs to save money, like hiring some dude off of craigslist to weld the make table. Corporate would not deal with that slow, shoddy work - they would use a vendor to properly service their equipment and replace the food. I have no problem throwing away a bag of food a day expired at a corporate place, mom and pop shops never throw away old food - its gross. I worked at a pizza place where the owner was from Italy. Smoked in the kitchen, never washed his hands, unnecessarily manhandled all the food and yelled everything. I was mortified that I had eaten there before I worked there and saw behind the scenes. I was always treated poorly at mom and pop shops like a necessary nuisance. Corporate gigs value productive employees. I was always treated with high levels of respect and given responsibility appropriate to my ability while in a corporate place.

The most important thing when juggling multiple jobs is to be reliable and flexible, not just between your jobs but your entire life. Making a schedule is not a simple task with so many employees, especially at a fast food place which is prone to be full of unreliable people. So asking your boss to be flexible with your second job and then not reciprocating that by trying to bail on a Saturday night to have a social life is something you need to just put out of thought right away. Its a surefire way to getting your boss pissed at you then you don't get what you want. Another thing you need to do is be helpful for your co-workers which means covering their shifts for them when they need it. This makes them more likely to cover for you if your boss schedules you on a day they know you're at the other job. But i would say youre off to a good start. Some people try to balance multiple jobs by having day jobs and evening jobs but that's not good. You get tired and fall behind and get late and then in trouble. Better to have a weekday job and weekend job.

Try to orgnize some calendars and make a job history

1. How do you manage your time effectively while working 2 jobs?

Managing time effectively while working 2 jobs requires careful planning and organization. It is important to prioritize tasks, create a schedule, and stick to it. This may also involve sacrificing some leisure time to focus on work, but it is important to find a balance and not overwork yourself.

2. What strategies do you use to avoid burnout when working 2 jobs?

To avoid burnout when working 2 jobs, it is important to set boundaries and take breaks when needed. This could mean setting specific days or hours for each job, or taking breaks throughout the day to rest and recharge. It is also important to communicate with employers about your workload and make sure it is manageable.

3. How do you handle conflicts between your 2 jobs?

Handling conflicts between 2 jobs requires effective communication and flexibility. It is important to be open and honest with both employers about your schedule and any conflicts that may arise. This may also involve compromising and finding solutions that work for both jobs.

4. How do you maintain a good work-life balance while working 2 jobs?

Maintaining a good work-life balance while working 2 jobs can be challenging, but it is important to make time for yourself and your personal life. This may involve setting specific days or times for leisure activities or finding ways to incorporate self-care into your daily routine. It is also important to communicate with your employers about your availability and not overcommit yourself.

5. What skills do you find most useful in managing 2 jobs?

The most useful skills in managing 2 jobs include time management, organization, communication, and adaptability. It is also important to have a strong work ethic and the ability to prioritize tasks effectively. Additionally, being able to stay calm and handle stressful situations can be beneficial in balancing multiple jobs.