Manipulating λmax * T formula to relate T1 to ∆T

In summary, the experiment measured the intensity of emitted radiation as a function of wavelength for a black body radiator. At a temperature T1, the highest intensity radiation had a wavelength of λ1. When the temperature was changed by ∆T, the highest intensity radiation had a wavelength of λ2, with a relationship of λ2 = 0.9λ1. By equating the equations T1 λ1 and T2 λ2, the relationship between T1 and ∆T can be determined to be T1 = 10/9∆T Kelvin.
Eli Hurley

Homework Statement

In an experiment to study a black body radiator, the intensity of emitted radiation is measured as a function of the wavelength of the radiation. At a particular temperature T1 the wavelength of the highest intensity radiation is determined to be λ1. When the temperature is changed by ∆T the wavelength of the highest intensity radiation changes to λ2, with λ2 = 0.9λ1. The relationship between T1 and ∆T is:

A. not possible to determine because of the ultra-violet catastrophe.
B. T1 = 9∆T Kelvin
C. T1 = 10/9∆T Kelvin
D. T1 = 0.111∆T Kelvin
E. None of the above

Homework Equations

λmax * T = 2.898 10^-3 m * K

The Attempt at a Solution

Since (2.898 10^-3 m * K) is a constant, I immediately discount that in my workings (I can see in the possible answers that it's also not needed).

We know that:

T1 = λ1 and λ2 = 0.9 * λ1

We also know that:

T1 * ∆T = λ2 therefore T1 * ∆T = 0.9 * λ1
^(is this a correct representation?)
I don't think it is, which is why I've changed it to:

T1 * (T2-T1) = λ2 therefore T1 * (T2-T1) = 0.9 * λ1

Upon expansion:

T21 - T11 = λ2 therefore T21 -T11 = 0.9 * λ1

I've been trying to keep my calculations limited to the variables in the possible answers but can't help ending up with T2 (or get rid of the λ1). Is there any other way to manipulate ∆T? My calcs are getting bigger than Ben Hurr and I'm beginning to doubt the legitimacy of the manipulations...

I'm sure this question has to be easier than the lengths I've gone to, if someone can please point out where I've taken a wrong turn that would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Eli Hurley said:

Homework Statement

In an experiment to study a black body radiator, the intensity of emitted radiation is measured as a function of the wavelength of the radiation. At a particular temperature T1 the wavelength of the highest intensity radiation is determined to be λ1. When the temperature is changed by ∆T the wavelength of the highest intensity radiation changes to λ2, with λ2 = 0.9λ1. The relationship between T1 and ∆T is:

A. not possible to determine because of the ultra-violet catastrophe.
B. T1 = 9∆T Kelvin
C. T1 = 10/9∆T Kelvin
D. T1 = 0.111∆T Kelvin
E. None of the above

Homework Equations

λmax * T = 2.898 10^-3 m * K

The Attempt at a Solution

Since (2.898 10^-3 m * K) is a constant, I immediately discount that in my workings (I can see in the possible answers that it's also not needed).
We know that:
T1 = λ1 ...
Oh no, we don't know that. We can't equate a wavelength with a temperature.
You have λ2 = 0.9λ1
T2 = T1 + ∆T
T1 λ1 = T2 λ2.
Work carefully with these , eliminate T2 and you will get the right answer.

Likes Eli Hurley

1. What is the purpose of manipulating the λmax * T formula?

The λmax * T formula is used to calculate the maximum wavelength of electromagnetic radiation emitted by a body at a certain temperature. By manipulating this formula, we can relate the temperature of the body to the change in temperature (∆T) that it experiences.

2. How is T1 related to ∆T in the formula?

In the manipulated formula, T1 represents the initial temperature of the body and ∆T represents the change in temperature. This allows us to determine the final temperature of the body after a change in temperature has occurred.

3. Can the manipulated formula be used for any type of body?

Yes, the manipulated formula can be used for any body that emits electromagnetic radiation, as long as the temperature is measured in Kelvin.

4. What is the significance of λmax in the formula?

λmax, or the maximum wavelength, indicates the color of the electromagnetic radiation emitted by the body. This can help us understand the properties and behavior of the body.

5. Are there any limitations to the manipulated formula?

The manipulated formula assumes that the body is a perfect blackbody radiator, which may not be the case for all bodies. It also does not take into account any external factors that may affect the temperature of the body.