Manual or automatic save power in water heater geyser

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a 15 litre water heater geyser for bathroom purposes in India. The main question is whether it is more efficient to keep the geyser on automatic mode or to manually turn it on and off during specific times. There is a debate on this topic, with some believing that leaving it on automatic mode is less consuming while others believe turning it on and off only during the required time is more efficient. Additional factors such as thermal insulation and external heat leakage can also affect the efficiency.
rajeshmarndi
Water heater geyser(15 lit) for bathroom.

We use geyser from morning 6am to 11:30 am only. So which would save power keeping the geyser on automatic mode or turning it "ON" in the morning and turning it off at 11:30 am.

I know for e.g if the temp is set to 60 deg, on automatic mode whenever the temp fall below 60 say 59 , it would again heat up just 1 deg. Also the geyser are insulated.

But if I use manually turning it on & off as above. It will definitely initially have to use power from room temp to the set 60 deg and I think it doesn't take much time. But remain off for rest of the day after 11:30 am.

Attachments

• geyser.jpg
    geyser.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 609
Science news on Phys.org
Okay, now... this is the second time that someone has posted about a "geyser". What the hell is that?
I have a water heater like everyone else that I know. It's 380 litres in capacity, burns natural gas, and is thermostatically controlled. What's with this "15 litre" stuff? That's not even enough to wash your hair. :confused:

In India, it is used only for bath purpose and is generally small within 40-45 litre and its size is equivalent to the picture in the attachment.

And it works in electricity and thermostatically controlled and insulated. All I wanted to know is, when would the power consume is more and why.

rajeshmarndi said:
Water heater geyser(15 lit) for bathroom.

We use geyser from morning 6am to 11:30 am only. So which would save power keeping the geyser on automatic mode or turning it "ON" in the morning and turning it off at 11:30 am.
Hi rajeshmarndi. I'm sure it would be more efficient to switch the power on around 5:45 and switch it off at 11 or thereabouts. Unless there are other considerations that you haven't revealed. Keeping the water hot for 18 hours while there is no demand is a waste of energy, the thermal insulation isn't perfect.

Do you speak of it there using the English word "geyser", or is that how you have translated it from your Indian language? It is an unexpected use of the word; though maybe ¨geyser¨ is the brand name or manufacturer's model name?

NascentOxygen said:
Hi rajeshmarndi. I'm sure it would be more efficient to switch the power on around 5:45 and switch it off at 11 or thereabouts. Unless there are other considerations that you haven't revealed. Keeping the water hot for 18 hours while there is no demand is a waste of energy, the thermal insulation isn't perfect.

There is always a large debate on this, many believes it is less consuming when it is left on automatic mode and no need to play around with the appliance. Others believe keep it on, only during the period when it is required.

Do you speak of it there using the English word "geyser", or is that how you have translated it from your Indian language? It is an unexpected use of the word; though maybe ¨geyser¨ is the brand name or manufacturer's model name?

I am aware but I do not know what word is used in some other countries. But when you google "geyser water heater" one will find similar picture that is in the attachment. That is why I attached the picture.

There can be subtle factors the come into play when evaluating efficiency. For example, in a cold climate it may be discovered that the heat leaking from the tank is keeping a cupboard of clothes warm and dry, or taking the chill off a small room. So that when you eliminate most of that incidental heating by improving the tank's thermal efficiency, you may have to introduce other space heating to compensate, or at least increase room heating during the time the tank now ceases to "leak" heat.

1. How does manual or automatic save power in water heater geyser work?

Manual or automatic save power in water heater geyser works by regulating the temperature of the water in the tank. In manual mode, the user can manually adjust the temperature setting to a lower level, which reduces the amount of energy needed to heat the water. In automatic mode, the geyser uses a thermostat to maintain the temperature at a preset level, reducing the need for constant heating and saving energy.

2. Which option is more energy-efficient - manual or automatic save power in water heater geyser?

Both manual and automatic save power options can be energy-efficient, but it ultimately depends on the user's behavior. In manual mode, the user has more control over the temperature setting, so they can adjust it to a lower level to save energy. In automatic mode, the geyser uses a thermostat to maintain a consistent temperature, which can also be energy-efficient if the temperature is set to an appropriate level.

3. Can I switch between manual and automatic save power modes on my water heater geyser?

Yes, most modern water heater geysers have the option to switch between manual and automatic save power modes. Some models may have a designated switch or button to toggle between modes, while others may require adjusting the temperature setting to switch modes. Refer to the user manual for specific instructions on your geyser model.

4. Will using manual or automatic save power in water heater geyser affect the water temperature?

Yes, using manual or automatic save power modes can affect the water temperature. In manual mode, the user can adjust the temperature to a lower level, which will result in cooler water. In automatic mode, the geyser will maintain a consistent temperature, so it may not be as hot as when it is on full power. However, this temperature difference may be unnoticeable to some users.

5. Can using manual or automatic save power in water heater geyser help save on my electricity bill?

Yes, using manual or automatic save power in water heater geyser can help save on your electricity bill. By reducing the energy needed to heat the water, you can potentially see a decrease in your monthly electricity usage. However, the exact amount saved will depend on various factors, such as the size and type of geyser, frequency of use, and user behavior.