Water Softener Troubleshooting/Repair

• Plumbing
  • Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, the water softener is stuck in a recharge mode and is hissing like it's doing a recharge. The manual recommends taking the unit apart and cleaning the emergency shutoff valve, nozzle, and Venturi parts, but it seems that this hasn't done anything. The water softener has been stuck in this mode for about 10 hours and has already wasted a lot of water. The manufacturer recommends replacing the unit, but it's not clear if that's the best solution.
russ_watters
Mentor
TL;DR Summary
My water softener is stuck in "recharge/vac" mode. Help?
I have an older Morton System Saver water softener, model MSS20B. It's similar to THIS (pdf manual), but the buttons are different (it's 15 years old). It is currently flashing "VAC" (vacation mode) and "RCHG" (recharge mode) and is hissing like it's doing a recharge. At this point it has been stuck that way for about 10 hours, whereas a recharge should take about two.

Things started going wrong a few weeks ago when I noticed air in my pipes/spitting out the taps. I found the water softener stuck in a recharge, and the brine tank empty (of water and salt). They use a Venturi pump to pump-out the brine tank and somehow with the brine tank empty it was sucking water into my plumbing system. I'm not totally clear how that is possible/how it is piped.

I took the brine well apart and cleaned the emergency shutoff valve, which seemed to be stuck closed. Then I took apart and cleaned the nozzle and Venturi parts (per the manual). Now it has a reasonable water level in it (but the ~20 lb of salt I put in this morning is gone), but won't stop recharging. When I plug it in, it starts the recharge (which is normal), then after a few hours it also starts flashing "VAC". As far as I can tell, this isn't a combination that you're supposed to see. The recharge can't be cancelled, but "VAC" is supposed to be cancellable by holding-in the "vac/recharge" button. Doesn't work. All I can do is unplug it after a few days of wasting water/salt.

My guess at this point is that either something is wrong with the motorized valve that switches it to recharge mode or the controller itself is toasted. All I see for the electronics is just two power wires to the valve motor and two signal wires to an end switch. I don't know what it could be doing/thinking. I'm not sure if I want to start randomly guessing and replacing the guts of this thing, but I also don't want to buy a new one and may have an issue getting it swapped out because I built a closet around it and it is between/behind my HVAC unit and water heater.

Any insights?

Troubleshooting guides:
http://docplayer.net/37717258-Troubleshooting-guide.html
https://www.best-osmosis-systems.com/water-softener-troubleshoot-and-repair/

Physics news on Phys.org
russ_watters said:
Summary:: My water softener is stuck in "recharge/vac" mode. Help?

(it's 15 years old).
Cut your losses; replace it and get the warranty.

Likes pbuk and russ_watters
On the basis that mechanical parts are more prone to failure than electronic controllers it sounds like the control valve needs replacing. But at 15 years the resin bed is near end of life too, so I agree with @Bystander, replace the unit.

Or call the manufacturer's support phone number on the cover of the "Installation and Operation Manual" you linked in the OP.

I would think the electronic board is kaput. They kinda hate salt dust.

Likes russ_watters
[Sigh]
I bought a new one.

The softener is in a closet with my air handler and water heater. The closet has two doors for access. Guess where one isn't...

• Sad
Likes anorlunda
russ_watters said:
[Sigh]
I bought a new one.

The softener is in a closet with my air handler and water heater. The closet has two doors for access. Guess where one isn't...
1627575381685.png
All problems start looking like nails sometimes!

Likes jim mcnamara
My house has a kinetico and I've never bought salt for it. I'm quite happy with the quality of water just the way it is. It has a bypass valve but I'm afraid to turn it any harder so it just stays in-line. I've done a lot of plumbing in this house and the condition of the pipes is excellent so I'm sure it's not that the valve is full of buildup. Good luck @russ_watters .

Averagesupernova said:
My house has a kinetico and I've never bought salt for it. I'm quite happy with the quality of water just the way it is. It has a bypass valve but I'm afraid to turn it any harder so it just stays in-line. I've done a lot of plumbing in this house and the condition of the pipes is excellent so I'm sure it's not that the valve is full of buildup. Good luck @russ_watters .
I heard an opinion (Miele service engineer) that permutit needs to be recharged occasionally, if there's water running though it or the resin bed can swell up and crack the case. That sounded not implausible - particularly coming from a Miele guy. It would not be hard to take the unit out of circuit completely. Get those wrenches on the job.

Last edited:
Likes dlgoff

1. How do I know if my water softener needs to be repaired?

There are a few signs that may indicate your water softener needs to be repaired. These include a decrease in water pressure, a decrease in the softness of your water, and unusual noises coming from the unit. Additionally, if you notice a buildup of salt or resin in the tank, this may also indicate a need for repair.

2. Why is my water softener not using salt?

If your water softener is not using salt, it could be due to a few different reasons. It could be an issue with the brine line or valve, a malfunctioning timer, or a clogged resin bed. It is best to consult a professional to determine the exact cause and make any necessary repairs.

3. How often should I clean my water softener?

The frequency of cleaning your water softener will depend on the type of unit you have and the quality of your water. Generally, it is recommended to clean the resin bed every 1-2 years and clean the brine tank every 3-4 months. However, if you notice any issues with your water softener, it may need to be cleaned more frequently.

4. What should I do if my water softener is leaking?

If your water softener is leaking, it is important to address the issue as soon as possible to prevent further damage. First, check to see if the leak is coming from a loose connection or a damaged valve. If you are unable to locate the source of the leak, it is best to contact a professional for repairs.

5. How long should a water softener last?

The lifespan of a water softener will vary depending on the quality of the unit and how well it is maintained. On average, a water softener can last anywhere from 10-15 years. However, regular maintenance and repairs can help extend the lifespan of your water softener.