Map energy eigenstates to cartesian unit vectors - Harmonic Osillator

In summary, the matrix elements x_{nn'} and p_{nn'} can be evaluated using the given equations and the energy eigenstates can be mapped to Cartesian unit vectors.
PhysicsGente

Homework Statement

Evaluate the matrix elements
[tex]x_{nn'} = \left<n\left|x\right|n'\right>[/tex]
and
[tex]p_{nn'} = \left<n\left|p\right|n'\right>[/tex]
and map the energy eigenstates
[tex]\left|n\right>[/tex]
to Cartesian unit vectors.

Homework Equations

[tex] x = \sqrt{\frac{\hbar}{2m \omega}}\left(a+a^{\dagger}\right) [/tex]
[tex] p = -i \sqrt{\frac{\hbar m\omega}{2}}\left(a-a^{\dagger}\right) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have

[tex] x_{nn'} = \sqrt{\frac{\hbar}{2m \omega}}\left(\sqrt{n'}\left<n|n'-1\right>+\sqrt{n'+1}\left<n|n'+1\right>\right) [/tex]

and

[tex] p_{nn'} = -i \sqrt{\frac{\hbar m\omega}{2}}\left(\sqrt{n'}\left<n|n'-1\right>-\sqrt{n'+1}\left<n|n'+1\right>\right) [/tex]

But I'm confused with the second part of the question. For example, I believe that mapping a state vector into position space would mean to get the projection of the state vector in position space meaning that one has to take the inner product <x|ψ> = ψ(x). But I don't see how i can do this with Cartesian unit vectors.

Physics news on Phys.org

To map the energy eigenstates to Cartesian unit vectors, we can use the following equations:

\left|n\right> = \frac{1}{\sqrt{n!}}\left(a^{\dagger}\right)^n\left|0\right>

where \left|0\right> is the ground state. By substituting this into the expressions for x and p, we can see that the energy eigenstates \left|n\right> correspond to the Cartesian unit vectors \hat{x} and \hat{p}, respectively. This means that the energy eigenstate \left|n\right> is mapped to the unit vector \hat{x} in the x direction, and the energy eigenstate \left|n'\right> is mapped to the unit vector \hat{p} in the p direction. So, for example, the state \left|0\right> is mapped to the unit vector \hat{x}, \left|1\right> is mapped to the unit vector \hat{p}, and so on.

Related to Map energy eigenstates to cartesian unit vectors - Harmonic Osillator

1. What is a harmonic oscillator?

A harmonic oscillator is a type of physical system that exhibits periodic motion around an equilibrium point. It is characterized by a restoring force that is proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium point.

2. What are energy eigenstates?

Energy eigenstates are the possible energy levels that a quantum mechanical system can occupy. Each energy eigenstate has a specific energy value and corresponds to a specific physical state of the system.

3. How do you map energy eigenstates to cartesian unit vectors?

To map energy eigenstates to cartesian unit vectors, the energy eigenstates must first be expressed as a linear combination of the cartesian unit vectors. This can be done by solving the Schrödinger equation for the harmonic oscillator and using the resulting wavefunction to calculate the coefficients of the linear combination.

4. Why is it important to map energy eigenstates to cartesian unit vectors?

Mapping energy eigenstates to cartesian unit vectors allows us to visualize and understand the quantum states of a harmonic oscillator in terms of familiar cartesian coordinates. It also allows us to calculate the probabilities of the system being in a certain state at a given time.

5. Are there any real-world applications of mapping energy eigenstates to cartesian unit vectors?

Yes, mapping energy eigenstates to cartesian unit vectors is essential in many areas of physics, such as quantum mechanics, atomic and molecular physics, and solid-state physics. It is also used in various technologies, including lasers, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), and semiconductors.