Marble spiralling inside a cylinder- New video

Physics news on Phys.org
Huh, very interesting!

Sometimes when I'm shooting basketball hoops, my shot will be off-center but inside the hoop. If it catches the rim just right (just wrong?), I can see several rotations around the inside of the rim before the ball finally falls through or gets spit back out. Several times I could have sworn that the center of gravity of the basketball was below the plane of the rim before it got shot back out, and maybe this video shows an explanation of why that can happen. It will still be frustrating to miss like that, but at least now I'll know why...

Likes Swamp Thing, A.T., Drakkith and 1 other person
A.T. said:
Steve Mould made a follow up video
With a contributing video from you, which inspired this one, if I may add ;).

1. How does the marble spiral inside the cylinder?

The marble spirals inside the cylinder due to the combination of gravity and the shape of the cylinder. As the marble rolls down the inclined surface of the cylinder, it gains momentum and begins to spiral around the inner walls of the cylinder.

2. What forces are acting on the marble as it spirals?

The main forces acting on the marble as it spirals inside the cylinder are gravity, friction, and centripetal force. Gravity pulls the marble downward, friction between the marble and the cylinder walls helps it maintain its spiral motion, and centripetal force keeps the marble moving in a circular path.

3. Why does the marble spiral in one direction only?

The marble spirals in one direction only due to the shape of the cylinder and the initial momentum of the marble. The inclined surface of the cylinder guides the marble to spiral in a specific direction, and once it starts spiraling in that direction, it continues to do so due to inertia.

4. What factors determine the speed of the marble as it spirals?

The speed of the marble as it spirals inside the cylinder is determined by the angle of the cylinder, the initial velocity of the marble, the friction between the marble and the cylinder walls, and the diameter of the cylinder. A steeper angle, higher initial velocity, lower friction, and larger diameter will result in a faster spiral motion.

5. Can the marble spiral indefinitely inside the cylinder?

No, the marble cannot spiral indefinitely inside the cylinder. Eventually, the marble will lose momentum due to friction and gravity, causing it to slow down and eventually come to a stop. The length of time the marble spirals inside the cylinder depends on various factors such as the initial velocity and the smoothness of the cylinder walls.