Markov chain and state diagram

In summary, the conversation discusses a queuing system that models voice traffic and uses Round Robin scheduling. The speaker is struggling to represent the system in a Markov state transition diagram and is unsure of the transition probabilities and how the automata affect the transitions. Another person joins the conversation with the same problem.
Fabio_vox

Homework Statement

I have the following queuing system: http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/8264/immaginetd.jpg
that models voice traffic that come up with [tex]\alpha[/tex] e [tex]\beta[/tex] parameters, on both queue 1 and 2. When a source of voice is active causes traffic with exponential inter-arrival time which has the parameter of [tex]\lambda[/tex] . Service time is exponential too, with parameter [tex]\mu[/tex] . The scheduling policy is Round Robin (a packet from queue 1, then another packet from queue 2, and so on)work-conserving type (after serving a packet, from queue 1 there are no packet to serve from queue 2, the server remain serving packet from queue 1; and viceversa).
I would like rappresent this system drawing Markov state transition diagram, but I don't know which are the probabilities of transition between states and also how "the ON OFF automata" affect the whole system.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that a generical state has the form of (N1,N2,S) where N1 means number of users (packet) being in queue 1, and N2 numebr of users in queue 2. S [tex]\in[/tex] {1,2,[tex]\oslash[/tex](=empty set)} means who is being serving. So the initial state of the transitional state diagram could be (0,0,[tex]\oslash[/tex]) no one is being serving. If a packet (the first) is generated from queue 2 this is coded with a state of (0,1,2). But the label of the edge, that connect the initial state with this one, is surely not [tex]\lambda[/tex]. Which is the correct one? How the automata in the figure affect these transitions?
Thank you all, and sorry for my english and mistakes I'm not native.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Does anybody know what I'm speaking about of?

Fabio_vox said:
Does anybody know what I'm speaking about of?

u solve it?
i have the same problem!

1. What is a Markov chain?

A Markov chain is a mathematical model used to describe the probability of transitioning between different states over time. It is named after Russian mathematician Andrey Markov and is commonly used in fields such as physics, chemistry, biology, and economics.

2. What is a state diagram?

A state diagram, also known as a state machine or statechart, is a visual representation of a system that shows all possible states of the system and how it can transition between those states. It is commonly used to model the behavior of complex systems and is often used in conjunction with Markov chains.

3. How are Markov chains and state diagrams related?

Markov chains and state diagrams are closely related as state diagrams can be used to visualize the states and transitions of a Markov chain. State diagrams can also help to identify patterns and behaviors within a Markov chain, making it easier to analyze and understand.

4. What are some real-world applications of Markov chains and state diagrams?

Markov chains and state diagrams have many real-world applications, including predicting stock market trends, analyzing sports team performance, and studying the spread of diseases. They are also used in natural language processing, speech recognition, and machine learning.

5. Are there any limitations to using Markov chains and state diagrams?

While Markov chains and state diagrams are powerful tools for modeling complex systems, they do have some limitations. One limitation is that they assume the probability of transitioning between states remains constant over time, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. Additionally, these models may not accurately predict rare or unexpected events.