Mars rocks covered with uniformly thick dust layer?

In summary, a person is looking for a project that investigated the uniformity of dust on Mars, but lost the link and cannot find it through Google. Another person mentions the presence of dust devils on Mars that would make the uniformity unlikely. The person looking for the project clarifies that it is not just a layer of loose dust, but a layer of cemented dust on top of the actual rock, with a difference in mineral composition. They mention a campaign that used data from the top layer of the drill bore, which is usually rejected as contaminated, but someone found out the contamination was uniform. The conversation shifts to discussing the discovery of a mysterious "jelly doughnut" rock on Mars and a website that discusses rock samples.
seany
Hello all, I need your help. (I believe this si the correct forum)

Between 2011 and 2013, i read a news in internet, that the dust that coveres rocks in Mars seem to be very uniform, like all rocks that was drilled by Mars science laboratory twin rovers, seem to have the same thickness of dust. So there was a news, that some one proposed a project to investigate why it was so uniform.

however i lost the link to the project, and I can't find it via google. Could anyone help? please?

Physics news on Phys.org
This seems very unlikely because of the dust devils on mars. I don't mean it's unlikely that a really small sample set taken by humans might not have had the same or nearly the same thickness, but that it seems very unlikely that the thickness is anywhere near uniform over the whole surface.

I realize that, and precisely that is what interested them. Moreover I remember it was not a layer of loos dust, it was a layer of *cemnted* dust, i use the term that we use to describe *sticking* of the same in earth, in top of the actual rock. The difference between the cemented laer and the actual rock was determined by the abrupt change in mineral composition as the drills drilled deeper.

seany said:
I realize that, and precisely that is what interested them. Moreover I remember it was not a layer of loos dust, it was a layer of *cemnted* dust, i use the term that we use to describe *sticking* of the same in earth, in top of the actual rock. The difference between the cemented laer and the actual rock was determined by the abrupt change in mineral composition as the drills drilled deeper.
Since it would seem nothing came of those "rocks", here's something you can shift attention to.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...6bfc6e-8455-11e3-bbe5-6a2a3141e3a9_story.html

Evo said:
Since it would seem nothing came of those "rocks", here's something you can shift attention to.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...6bfc6e-8455-11e3-bbe5-6a2a3141e3a9_story.html

Thank you, I am aware of this :) I am actually looking for the campaign I specifically mentioned, because it used data from the top layer of the drill bore, which is generally rejected, as it is considered contaminated, however, some one found out the contamination was uniform.

seany said:
Thank you, I am aware of this :) I am actually looking for the campaign I specifically mentioned, because it used data from the top layer of the drill bore, which is generally rejected, as it is considered contaminated, however, some one found out the contamination was uniform.
A campaign for what, was this some alien conspiracy theory? There is a website that discuss the rock samples. I see nothing unusual.

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/MPF/science/mineralogy.html

WONDERFUL! this is what i was looking for, also turns out it was not the MSL twins. many thanks. you are my hero

Evo said:
, was this some alien conspiracy theory?

that seems a bit of jumping to it, with all due respects.

also the mineraloy site is supposed to be a general education site, and won't really contain interesting information.

seany said:
that seems a bit of jumping to it, with all due respects.
You'd be surprised how many conspiracy theories there are out there.

1. What is the significance of the uniformly thick dust layer on Mars rocks?

The uniformly thick dust layer on Mars rocks is significant because it provides valuable information about the geological history and past climate of Mars. The thickness and composition of the dust layer can give insight into the intensity of past dust storms and the amount of atmospheric erosion that has occurred on the planet.

2. How did the dust layer on Mars rocks form?

The dust layer on Mars rocks is thought to have formed through a combination of wind erosion and deposition. Over time, fine dust particles are picked up by strong winds and carried across the surface of Mars, gradually settling onto rocks and other surfaces. This process can occur over millions of years, resulting in a thick layer of dust covering the rocks.

3. How does the dust layer affect the study of Mars rocks?

The dust layer can make studying Mars rocks challenging as it can obscure the underlying rock surfaces and make it difficult to identify geological features. However, the dust layer can also protect the rocks from being eroded by wind and other environmental factors, preserving them for scientific study.

4. Are all Mars rocks covered with a uniformly thick dust layer?

No, not all Mars rocks are covered with a uniformly thick dust layer. The thickness and distribution of the dust layer can vary depending on the location and topography of the rocks. Some areas may have thicker dust layers due to more frequent dust storms, while others may have thinner layers due to wind patterns or other factors.

5. How do scientists study the dust layer on Mars rocks?

Scientists study the dust layer on Mars rocks through various methods, including remote sensing techniques and in situ measurements. Remote sensing involves using instruments on orbiting spacecraft to gather data about the composition and thickness of the dust layer. In situ measurements involve sending rovers or landers to physically analyze the dust layer on the surface of Mars. Both methods provide valuable information about the dust layer and its properties.