What Is the Formula for the Position of a Mass Falling Towards a Planet?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the formula for the approaching position of an inertial mass to a planet. The formula is derived using the mass of the planet and the mass of the falling object. The conversation also mentions alternative ways to solve the problem, such as using Kepler's equation and interpolation. The final result involves inverse trigonometric functions.
Zeeprime
Question: Finding the closed formula s(t) that gives the approaching position of an inertial mass to a planet
Supposing the mass initially stationary, and far enough and for long enough that it is NOT possible to consider the gravity as constant while it moves closer and closer.

Said in a different way.
Given a mass in free fall from afar to a planet, what is the motion formula s(t),
the one that returns:
at 0 seconds the mass will be 100000km distant
at 10 seconds the mass will be 99999Km distant.
at 20 seconds the mass will be 99996Km distant
at 100 seconds the mass will be 94000Km distant (it is accelerating, and the acceleration increases while it approaches the planet), etc.

So given M= the mass of the planet
m = the mass of the free fall mass
So = the initial distance of the mass

Given F=G(Mm)/r^2
we obtain
m*a(t) = GMm/(r(t)^2)
a(t) = GM/(r(t)^2)

Now we solve with derivative calculus
Posing k=GM
s'' = k/(s^2)

Is the above correct?
If it is, how can I solve this differential equation?
(I suppose a constant will pop out from some integral, and it will be our initial S0)

Can I simply integrate left and right a couple of times?
Providing all is preserved, no bad negatives, no 0s around, all functions are analytical in complex space as they appear to be etc.

If I can, I suppose that I will end up with
s' = S0-k/s
s = S0-k/(ln(s))

which is:
s(t) = S0-k/(ln(s(t))

And now? How can I get s(t) ?

Another way to solve this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's go back to your equation
s'' = k/(s^2)

You tried to integrate this directly, giving s' on the left hand side. In other words you were integrating with respect to t. So you'd also have to integrate the right hand side with respect to t, not s as you tried to do. The real next step is to note that s'' = v(dv/ds), where v=s'. Then you can integrate both sides w.r.t. s. There's maybe a page of algebra to get to the final result, depending on how fluent you are, but it's not as intimidating as the general formulae on Wikipedia make it look.

Yes you get t as a function of s; you'll probably find it involves inverse trig functions. That's the way the world works. You can get the answers you want by simple interpolation, or by inverting the expression numerically, for instance using a Newton-Raphson algorithm.

(Note that you're considering a special case, where the mass is falling directly towards the centre of the planet, and has negligible mass compared to the planet.)

Thanks.
I will try developing from your advice

1. What is mass approaching a planet?

Mass approaching a planet refers to the phenomenon of an object with a significant amount of mass moving towards a planet, either due to its own gravitational pull or the gravitational pull of the planet.

2. How does mass approaching a planet affect the planet?

The mass approaching a planet can cause changes in the planet's orbit, rotation, and overall structure. It can also lead to the formation of new celestial bodies, such as moons or rings.

3. What factors determine the effects of mass approaching a planet?

The mass, speed, and trajectory of the approaching object, as well as the size and mass of the planet, all play a role in determining the effects of mass approaching a planet. Additionally, the presence of other celestial bodies in the vicinity can also impact the outcome.

4. Can mass approaching a planet be harmful to life on the planet?

It depends on the size and speed of the approaching mass. If it is large enough and moving at high speeds, it could potentially cause catastrophic damage to the planet and any life forms on it. However, smaller and slower-moving masses may not have a significant impact on life.

5. How do scientists study and predict the effects of mass approaching a planet?

Scientists use mathematical equations and computer simulations to study and predict the effects of mass approaching a planet. They also gather data from past events and observations of similar occurrences in other planetary systems to inform their predictions.