Mass attached to a rope (simple)

• Thread starter saltyload
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass Rope
In summary, the initial tension T in the rope can be calculated using the equation T = mg, where m is the mass and g is the gravitational acceleration. However, since the mass is decelerating, the tension will be greater than the weight of the mass in static equilibrium. By adding the acceleration term (ma) to the equation, the correct answer of 11,000N can be obtained.
saltyload
1. A 1000kg mass is lowered by a rope. If the mass is initially moving at 10m/s, and is decelerating at 1m/s2, what is the initial tension T in the rope?

2. T = mg

3. So I tried setting up T = mg, and then since it is decelerating the tension must be less than what it would be if it was in static equilibrium. Then I added ma to side T.

ma + T = mg

Ended up getting T = 9000N, but the answer is 11,000N.

What did I do wrong? I thought my thinking was correct. I thought about a mass in an elevator which would weigh less if elevator moved downward and weigh more if elevator moved up.

Physics news on Phys.org
saltyload said:
I thought about a mass in an elevator which would weigh less if elevator moved downward and weigh more if elevator moved up.
If the elevator accelerates downward, the mass would 'weigh' less. Acceleration, not movement, is the key.

So what's the direction of the acceleration of the 1000 kg mass? (Read carefully.)

Doc Al said:
If the elevator accelerates downward, the mass would 'weigh' less. Acceleration, not movement, is the key.

So what's the direction of the acceleration of the 1000 kg mass? (Read carefully.)

AH! the mass is moving downward, but since its decelerating, its accelerating upwards, which increases the tension of the rope!

Exactly! :wink:

Your thinking was correct, but there may have been a mistake in your calculations. When solving for tension in a system, it is important to consider all forces acting on the object. In this case, the mass is being lowered at a constant velocity, so there are two forces acting on it: the force of gravity (mg) and the force of the rope (T). Since the mass is moving at a constant velocity, the net force must be zero. This means that T = mg, which is what you initially set up.

However, when the mass is decelerating, there is an additional force acting on it: the force of acceleration (ma). This force must be added to the equation, so the correct setup is T - ma = mg. Solving for T, we get T = mg + ma = (1000kg)(9.8m/s^2) + (1000kg)(1m/s^2) = 10,800N. This is closer to the given answer of 11,000N.

It is important to carefully analyze all forces acting on an object in order to accurately solve for tension. In this case, the force of acceleration was overlooked, leading to a slightly incorrect answer. Keep in mind that in real world scenarios, there may be other forces acting on the object as well, so it is important to consider all factors when solving for tension.

Related to Mass attached to a rope (simple)

What is a "mass attached to a rope"?

A mass attached to a rope is a simple physical system where a mass is hung from one end of a rope or string. The other end of the rope is typically attached to a fixed point, such as a ceiling or a pulley. This system is often used to study the effects of gravity on a mass.

What is the purpose of studying a mass attached to a rope?

Studying a mass attached to a rope allows scientists to observe and analyze the effects of gravity on a physical object. This system is also commonly used to demonstrate the principles of simple harmonic motion, which can help us understand more complex systems in physics.

How does the length of the rope affect the motion of the mass?

The length of the rope can greatly impact the motion of the mass. As the length increases, the period of oscillation (time it takes for the mass to complete one back-and-forth swing) also increases. This is because the longer the rope, the greater the distance the mass has to travel and the more time it takes to complete one full cycle.

What factors affect the frequency of the mass attached to a rope?

The frequency of the mass attached to a rope is affected by several factors, including the mass of the object, the length of the rope, and the strength of the gravitational force. The frequency is also influenced by the angle at which the mass is released and any air resistance that may be present.

How can a mass attached to a rope be used to measure the acceleration due to gravity?

By studying the motion of a mass attached to a rope, scientists can calculate the acceleration due to gravity (g) using the equation g = 4π²L/T², where L is the length of the rope and T is the period of oscillation. By varying the length of the rope and measuring the corresponding period, the value of g can be determined experimentally.