Mass-Energy Relation: Burning Wood & Speed of Light

• Thread starter Esfand Yar Ali
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relation
In summary: Remember, the speed of light is about 3E8 meters/second.In summary, "E=mc^2" is the famous mass-energy relation that refers to all the energy contained in mass m, including the energy of binding that holds atoms together. However, in practical applications such as burning wood, only a small part of that energy is released. This process has nothing to do with the speed of light, which is a fundamental constant of the universe. If you were to weigh all the products of combustion, you would find a small mass difference that, when multiplied by c^2, would equal the energy produced by the fire.
Esfand Yar Ali
We all know the famous mass-energy relation E=mC^2,but my question is what does this really mean.I mean if I apply this equation for a normal practical application case e.g. burning of wood,the energy I will get from this combustion reaction will be equal to the mass I used multiplied by C^2.Is this how it is?
The second part of the question is what any of the combustion processes has to do with the speed of light ?
Please someone be quick to answer

Physics news on Phys.org
Esfand Yar Ali said:
We all know the famous mass-energy relation E=mC^2,but my question is what does this really mean.I mean if I apply this equation for a normal practical application case e.g. burning of wood,the energy I will get from this combustion reaction will be equal to the mass I used multiplied by C^2.Is this how it is?
No, it isn't. "[itex]E= mc^2[/itex]" refers to all the energy contained in mass m, including the "energy of binding" that holds atoms together. Chemical reactions, such as burning wood, releases only a tiny part of that energy, the energy holding molecules together. No mass is changed into energy in such a reaction.

The second part of the question is what any of the combustion processes has to do with the speed of light ?
Please someone be quick to answer
That combustion process has nothing to do with "the speed of light". Even in nuclear processes where that equation does apply, "c" is a fundamental constant of the universe that happens also to be the speed of light.

Esfand Yar Ali said:
if I apply this equation for a normal practical application case e.g. burning of wood,the energy I will get from this combustion reaction will be equal to the mass I used multiplied by C^2.Is this how it is?
If you could gather up all of the combustion products - the ashes, the solid particles in the smoke, the carbon dioxide and water vapor produced by the consumption, ... - and weigh them, you would find that they weigh very slightly less than the wood and oxygen that went into the fire. That tiny mass difference, multiplied by ##c^2##, will be equal to the energy produced by the fire.

It would be a good exercise to calculate approximately how much mass we're talking about in a typical fireplace fire.

What is the mass-energy relation?

The mass-energy relation, also known as the famous equation E=mc^2, is a fundamental principle in physics that states that energy and mass are interchangeable and can be converted from one to the other. It is a cornerstone of Einstein's theory of relativity and has been proven to be true in numerous experiments.

How does burning wood relate to the mass-energy relation?

When wood is burned, it undergoes a chemical reaction that releases energy in the form of heat and light. This energy comes from the breaking of chemical bonds within the wood, and according to the mass-energy relation, this energy is equivalent to a small amount of mass. However, in this case, the amount of mass converted to energy is so small that it is not detectable.

Can mass be converted to energy and vice versa in everyday situations?

Yes, the mass-energy relation applies to all forms of energy, including those found in everyday situations. For example, when you turn on a lightbulb, the electrical energy is converted to light and heat energy. This conversion also involves a small amount of mass. However, the amount of mass converted is so minuscule that it is not noticeable in our daily lives.

How does the speed of light factor into the mass-energy relation?

The speed of light, denoted by c in the equation E=mc^2, is a constant that represents the maximum speed at which anything can travel in the universe. It is a crucial component of the mass-energy relation because it shows the relationship between mass and energy. The speed of light is also the speed at which energy travels, emphasizing the connection between the two.

What are the practical applications of the mass-energy relation?

The mass-energy relation has numerous practical applications, including in nuclear power and nuclear weapons. In nuclear power plants, mass is converted to energy through nuclear reactions, which generate electricity. On the other hand, nuclear weapons utilize the mass-energy relation in reverse, converting energy into a destructive force. The equation also has applications in space travel and understanding the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic levels.