Mass extinctions past and future

In summary, this article discusses how the carbon cycle can lead to mass extinction and how the current level of carbon in the oceans is approaching a threshold where a mass extinction may occur.
jim mcnamara
Mentor
http://advances.sciencemag.org/content/3/9/e1700906

Abstract:
The history of the Earth system is a story of change. Some changes are gradual and benign, but others, especially those associated with catastrophic mass extinction, are relatively abrupt and destructive. What sets one group apart from the other? Here, I hypothesize that perturbations of Earth’s carbon cycle lead to mass extinction if they exceed either a critical rate at long time scales or a critical size at short time scales. By analyzing 31 carbon isotopic events during the past 542 million years, I identify the critical rate with a limit imposed by mass conservation. Identification of the crossover time scale separating fast from slow events then yields the critical size. The modern critical size for the marine carbon cycle is roughly similar to the mass of carbon that human activities will likely have added to the oceans by the year 2100.

Discussion article from phys.org:

https://phys.org/news/2017-09-mathematics-sixth-mass-extinction.html

An irreversible change in the carbon cycle will start to occur sometime at or after the year 2100. The changes will not play out instantly but over periods of thousands of years. The point in time is an estimate of the amount of additional carbon - ~216 gigatons - and an approximate time it will have been added in sufficient quantityto the oceans in order to destabilize the carbon cycle.

Likes BillTre
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Wow!

This is going to get heavily checked out because it has huge and obvious political implications.
I am no expert on this material and don't feel all that competent on deciding if this research is good or not, so I'll have to see what more knowledgeable people think.
On the other hand, he's an MIT Prof.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

It is really a gross estimate, not exact. And I do not see when the reversal of ocean carbon buildup times out - meaning if we stop adding carbon, how long will it take to get back to say, pre-1750 ocean carbon levels? Assume a long time. The year 1750 is the the approximate start of the "Industrial Age".

It is interesting.

Edit: the estimate for the amount of carbon required was reported incorrectly: it should be 310 gigatons of carbon, per the new update.

What I find interesting is that this paper provides an easily understandable and (to me) rational cause of extinctions (exceeding the capacity of an ecosystem to deal with an excess chemical). This seems to provide a united explanation of several of the big extinctions.

It also makes the point that there are thresholds which should not be passed without possibly incurring great risk.
And whether the number is 300 or 310 Giga-tons isn't so important as that it looks like we won't have much trouble reaching either of them.

These are things that more people can understand and may base their vote on. This, seems to me, is the most likely path to a less disastrous future.

What is a mass extinction?

A mass extinction is an event in which a significant percentage of Earth's species die out within a relatively short period of time, usually defined as less than 2 million years. These events are characterized by a rapid decline in biodiversity and the loss of many different types of organisms.

What causes mass extinctions?

There are a variety of factors that can contribute to a mass extinction, including natural disasters such as volcanic eruptions, meteor impacts, and climate change. However, the primary cause of most mass extinctions in Earth's history is believed to be human activities, such as deforestation, pollution, and overfishing.

How many mass extinctions have occurred in the past?

There have been five major mass extinctions in Earth's history, with the most recent occurring approximately 66 million years ago when the dinosaurs went extinct. However, there have also been numerous smaller mass extinctions throughout Earth's history that have had a significant impact on biodiversity.

Are we currently experiencing a mass extinction?

Many scientists believe that we are currently in the midst of a sixth mass extinction event, known as the Holocene extinction, due to the significant loss of species over the past few centuries. It is estimated that the current extinction rate is 100 to 1,000 times higher than the natural background rate of extinction.

Can mass extinctions be prevented in the future?

While it may not be possible to completely prevent future mass extinctions, there are steps that can be taken to slow down or mitigate their effects. These include reducing human activities that contribute to climate change and loss of habitat, implementing conservation efforts to protect endangered species, and promoting sustainable practices to minimize our impact on the environment.