Mass fraction and volume of a gas in a cylinder

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the liquefaction of CO2 at 170 atm and 293 K. The correct value of R is 8314.5 J/kmol.K, and the value of n has been corrected. Part ii has been completed, and part iii can be solved using Boyle's law to calculate the volume of each cylinder. The speaker also advises being careful about units and not including 101325 in the denominator.
Sabra_a
Homework Statement
Three 60-litre high-pressure gas cylinders contain gaseous fire suppressants. The suppressants are:
1) IG-100 (which is 100% N2),
2) Carbon dioxide (CO2),
3) IG-55 (50% vol. N2 and 50% vol. Ar).
The suppressants are stored in gaseous form under the pressure 170 atm (1 atm=101325 Pa) and at normal temperature (T=293K).
(i) Calculate the mass fraction of nitrogen and argon in gas mixture IG-55.
(ii) Assume ideal gas behaviour of the suppressants. What is the mass of the gas contained in each cylinder?
(iii) The suppressants are to be released in an environment at normal conditions of pressure and temperature (p=1atm, T=293K). What volume will be occupied by each suppressant after their release into the environment? Assume isothermal expansion in your calculation.
Note: atomic masses: M(N)=14 kg/kmol, M(Ar)=40 kg/kmol, M(C)
=12 kg/kmol, M(O)=16 kg/kmol.
Relevant Equations
mass fraction
atomic mass
molecular mass
ideal gas equation
I have attached the full answer in PDF file. I'm not sure about the answers. will really appreciate if they get checked

Attachments

• Three 60.pdf
    137.2 KB · Views: 177
Physics news on Phys.org
Part (i) is done correctly. Before we get to part iii, part ii is done incorrectly. The pressure is equal to 170 atm, not 1 atm. Try again, and be careful of units.

Likes Sabra_a
At 170 atm and 293 K, CO2 will liquefy. The vapour pressure of CO2 at 293 K is about 55 atm. However, you can still do what the question asks, i.e. assume ideal gas behaviour, to get a hypothetical answer.

Likes Sabra_a and Chestermiller
Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 9.23.41 PM.png

is it correct?

What are the units of the R value you used? I don't think the value you used is correct.

R = 83145 J/kmol.K

Sabra_a said:
R = 83145 J/kmol.K
That should be 8314.5 J/kmol.K

$$n=\frac{(170)(101325)(0.06)}{(8.314)(293)}=424\ moles$$

Likes Sabra_a
Screen Shot 2019-11-06 at 1.35.07 PM.png

I have changed the value of n

for part iii I will use PV=nRT, then rearranging it to calculate the volume of each cylinder!
Screen Shot 2019-11-06 at 6.44.02 PM.png

but should I include 101325 in the denominator?

Last edited:
Sabra_a said:
for part iii I will use PV=nRT, then rearranging it to calculate the volume of each cylinder!View attachment 252464
but should I include 101325 in the denominator?
You are not being careful about units. You should not have to ask this question if you are canceling units properly.

Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 1.26.09 PM.png

Likes Chestermiller
Part iii can be answered more simply, just using Boyle's law: PV = constant at constant T.
60*170 = 1*V
V = 10200 L

• Informative
Likes Sabra_a

What is mass fraction and volume of a gas in a cylinder?

Mass fraction refers to the amount of a gas present in a mixture, expressed as a percentage of the total mass of the mixture. Volume of a gas in a cylinder refers to the amount of space occupied by the gas in the cylinder.

How are mass fraction and volume of a gas in a cylinder calculated?

Mass fraction is calculated by dividing the mass of the gas by the total mass of the mixture and multiplying by 100. Volume of a gas in a cylinder is calculated by multiplying the cross-sectional area of the cylinder by its length.

What factors can affect the mass fraction and volume of a gas in a cylinder?

The temperature, pressure, and amount of gas present can all affect the mass fraction and volume of a gas in a cylinder. Changes in these factors can cause the gas to expand or contract, thus changing its mass fraction and volume.

Why is it important to know the mass fraction and volume of a gas in a cylinder?

Knowing the mass fraction and volume of a gas in a cylinder is important for various reasons. It helps in determining the composition of a gas mixture, understanding the behavior of the gas under different conditions, and calculating the amount of gas needed for a specific process or reaction.

How can the mass fraction and volume of a gas in a cylinder be measured?

The mass fraction of a gas can be measured using a scale or balance, while the volume can be measured using a graduated cylinder or other volumetric measuring device. Alternatively, the ideal gas law can be used to calculate the mass fraction and volume of a gas in a cylinder based on its pressure, temperature, and volume.