Mass & Friction: Cart Question Answered

• Thread starter oobgular
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cart
In summary, the question is whether the heavier cart or the lighter cart reaches the bottom of a hill first, neglecting air resistance. Without friction, both carts will reach the bottom at the same time. However, considering friction, it seems that the lighter cart may have an advantage due to having less mass and thus less friction force. However, it is not specified whether the friction force is the same for both carts, so it is difficult to determine for sure. Some possible approaches to finding the answer could be using equations or applying dimensional analysis to consider the relationship between mass and acceleration. It can also be assumed that the acceleration is purely caused by gravity.
oobgular
So suppose two carts roll down a hill. One is more massive than the other, but they both have the same size. Neglecting air resistance, which one reaches the bottom first?

Without friction, I think both reach the bottom at the same time. However my first thought was that the heavier car will have a greater friction force, the lighter one will reach the bottom first. However, I'm not sure if the mass cancels from all the friction terms. Any insight?

Physics news on Phys.org
oobgular said:
So suppose two carts roll down a hill. One is more massive than the other, but they both have the same size. Neglecting air resistance, which one reaches the bottom first?

Without friction, I think both reach the bottom at the same time. However my first thought was that the heavier car will have a greater friction force, the lighter one will reach the bottom first. However, I'm not sure if the mass cancels from all the friction terms. Any insight?
Why not write out the equations and find out for sure?
Another approach is dimensional analysis. Are you familiar with that?

Well, let's consider the acceleration, a
F=m.a
a=f/m
So,
a ∝ 1/m
This means greater the acceleration, the lower has to be the mass ( or vice versa)
So, for a greater mass acceleration will be lower
Thus,the lighter cart reaches the ground first for the same force.

Last edited:
shihab-kol said:
a ∝ 1/m
Only if F is the same for both.

haruspex said:
Only if F is the same for both.
Exactly
thanks

shihab-kol said:
Exactly
thanks
But it isn't.

haruspex said:
But it isn't.
But that is not specified by oobgular

shihab-kol said:
But that is not specified by oobgular
The question says they are rolling down a hill. It does not say they are being pushed down by some unspecified force. We can safely assume the acceleration is purely a result of gravity.

haruspex said:
The question says they are rolling down a hill. It does not say they are being pushed down by some unspecified force. We can safely assume the acceleration is purely a result of gravity.
Yes
Then the acceleration is equal for both.

oobgular said:

@oobgular -- is this a question for schoolwork? Or just a general interest question?

If it's for schoolwork, I would expect that there would be more to the problem statement. Like, is just the body of the cart heavier, or the wheels, or both?

If it's for general interest, you probably need to give more thought to the various affects that more weight will have, in order to answer the question well. :smile:

1. What is mass and how does it affect friction?

Mass is the measure of the amount of matter an object contains. It is directly proportional to the amount of friction experienced by an object. The greater the mass, the greater the friction.

2. How does friction affect the movement of a cart?

Friction is a force that resists the movement of an object. In the case of a cart, friction between the wheels and the ground helps to slow down and eventually stop the cart's movement.

3. What factors influence the amount of friction experienced by a cart?

The amount of friction experienced by a cart is influenced by the weight or mass of the cart, the surface it is moving on, and the force applied to the cart.

4. How can friction be reduced for a cart?

Friction can be reduced for a cart by using wheels with low friction bearings, using lubricants on the wheels, or reducing the weight or mass of the cart.

5. How does understanding mass and friction help in designing a cart?

Understanding mass and friction is crucial when designing a cart as it helps in determining the weight and size of the cart, the type of wheels to be used, and how much force is needed to move the cart. It also helps in reducing the amount of friction experienced by the cart, resulting in smoother movement.